Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Eating out

#91 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 8:50 pm

On the plus side went to weatherspoons,the hop pole at Tewkesbury and the food was good and cheap and served with a smile.

#92 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Denise

I was just thinking you could have got a cheap pub meal for that price. £15 for fish & chips is highway robbery.

I go to the Silverspray? in Shirley opposite the driving test centre and I think it is very expensive there and that is about £5.20 for fish and chips.

I wouldn't have paid the £15 I would have said keep them and walked out.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 pm | Top

#93 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 8:59 pm

I waited in the car while Jim went in I said you should not have had it but he said he was worried about me not eating and so what can you do .We both agreed that would be our last vist

#94 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 9:08 pm

Iv'e been in that Chippie in Shirley, I complained about the price at the time, it didn't tally with the price in the window. That was a couple of years ago.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.09.2010 | Top

#95 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Can not remember the name of the indian.

#96 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 10:01 pm

The trouble is with all these touristy places inland like Tewksbury, Worcester, Evesham and the like is that they hike up take away food prices. They smile serve you and think one mug served the next one will be along in a moment.

I remember years back we were working in Worcester at the Royal Infirmary and one day David came on site and said to the lads come on I'll buy you a cup of tea at the local café.

We walked round to the High st and went into the café where he order the teas. I think it was 8 in total. When he got to the till they asked him for £2.40. His mouth dropped open and he said I'm not paying that and walked out of the café. Tea at the time in any café in Birmingham was 6p per cup.

We all laughed at the time, but I stopped laughing when I realised that I was going to have to pay for the teas.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#97 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 10:07 pm

Ooooops

#98 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 5:44 am

Hello Denise,
They were french breakfast.
My daughter lives inOverbury, and has a caravan at Croft Farm also my other daughter.
My 2 grandaughters work in Tewkesbury and are always raving about the fish shop, I've had them from there and they were very good,
no idea of price though, I'll ask them the name of it.

signman

#99 by Deleted User , Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 am

All I can think is any veg from the supermarket will have travelled,I know I am always banging on about this but from pot or garden to table can not be beaten and the point with radish is you need no skill as they are star peformers,try a few of your own if you can.

Yes the taste of the fish and chips is very good compared to many I have tried,It is the one down the side rd off tewkesburys main street.The cost is stunning or is it just we remember you could get them for next to nothing ??

#100 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 9:03 am

Yes that's the fish shop, living in a flat, I've no room for gardening, but when I get to Overbury there's no stopping me.

signman

#101 by Deleted User , Mon May 10, 2010 9:08 am

Yes living in a flat does make it hard but some things can be grown indoors....herbs for cooking are good,never tried radish indoors,I will do a little experiment see if it works. LOL.Watch this space.

I have given up my allotment when we moved and now using small patch of garden and pots.

Missing the allotment but enjoying seeing what I can produce with limited growing area.

#102 by toady , Mon May 10, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Phil
Our local Harvester is what used to be called the Dog at Mappleborough Green, and talking about Weatherspoons their cheapy meals are OK but the Sunday Roast forget it, when we were at the airport went in Weatherspoons for a latte and cappuccino it was like dish water couldn't tell which was which not even the chocolate on the top gave a clue for the taste I think it depends which ones you use the one we go to in Devon is fine for the coffee and half the price.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#103 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi June

I think I was in the Dog before it changed over to being a Harvester, I know I used to go in to the old pub for a meal occasionaly and I always enjoyed the meal. I also used the Washford Mill a few times they do a nice meal in nice surroundings but it was always too packed for my liking.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#104 by toady , Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Phil
The Wahford Mill was looking tatty it was closed and refurbished haven't been in since it reopened have heard mixed reports do you know the Cross and Bowling Green at Bransons Cross half of it is now an Indian I think the front bar is still a pub a lot of farmers used to use it, The Dog used to be a carvery before it became a Harvester and the Barley Mow at Studley is now the carvery the same as the Swan by your Davids at Wythall.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#105 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

June

I never used the Cross & Bowling Green and I think I only ever used the Barley Mow once. I remember going to the Kings Head? is it by Wootten Wawen back in the 70's and having Duck. They kept them outside in pens, they had no worry about ordering them in.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What's The Recipe Today John?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor