Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Eating out

#136 by mollymandysb , Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:24 am

i v been to the plough a couple of times many years ago, as my step dad loved the place so we used to take him there, during the week and it was not too bad. my sister who lives in majors green says the plume of feathers in shirley is good. for me i like to go out to a country pub but as you say phil a lot are so expensive. went to the malvern hills hotel, lovely place great views but the restaurant is expensive, £7 for a pint of shandy, two meals came to £37 and it was not steak, just simple food. i think the pub itself is quite reasonable but the restaurant is far too expensive.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#137 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:58 am

Steph

I have been to the Plume of Feathers on a couple of occasions and found it quite good for the price, but then I'm a fan of Carveries. The Plough at Shirley was pretty or good, or so I'm told until it was taken over by the Beefeater Chain. It's a sad fact but these chain restaurants have ruined many good privately run pub restaurants. I still think you can't beat a goo privately owned place. You may end up paying a little more for your meal and drinks but at least most of the time you are assured of quality.

Phil

phil

#138 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:41 pm

I have been to the Plume in Shirley quite a few times, never waited long always had a good meal and at the right price. not bad for an M&B pub. SB

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#139 by mollymandysb , Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

did not realise the plough had been taken over. my sister goes to the black boy a lot but by the sounds of things in her words 'it s heaving' so i would not like it i prefer quiet pubs. a nice old fashioned sort of pub that does food is the weybridge at alvechurch, sits by the canal and is quite authentic with small rooms and a nice garden. id ont like these big open harvester type places. nice little canal side pubs along the birmingham tow orcester canal, stoke prior for instance, not been in tho but they look nice.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#140 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01 am

Steph

I think I may have mentioned it before but in the early 70's one of our favourite places was the Fish at Wixford. Back then it was rough and ready we used to eat our meals sat at what was an old kitchen table covered with a plastic tablecloth. It was a no frills meal but by thunder it was good. We lads used to have a 2lb steak which was so big it was served on a separate plate to the rest of the meal.

The women would usually have trout or crab and that was really good as well, and we would all wash it down with bottles of Bulls Blood and after a merry nights eating and drinking we would head back to our local getting there just in time for the lock in. Great times long gone now.

Phil

phil

#141 by mollymandysb , Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:01 am

passed the fish at wixford a lot of times but never been in. in my younger days, many years ago, when i lived at cotteridge, we used to go to the camp arms for lock ins, navigation arms, the bull at kings norton and many other pubs around. was it the black horse in northfield that s now been turned into a chinese, eat as much as you like.

happy days.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What's The Recipe Today John?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor