Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Eating Out

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Had a nice meal lately, can you recommend the restaurant,. Then do it here.

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Eating Out

#2 by Deleted User , Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:05 am

The Bear at Berkswell is very nice.

A very old building with a real fire at this time of year.

The food and service is very good.The lunch time menu is quite varied and well priced.

In the summer you can sit outside.Set in the middle of countryside it is a nice run out.

Not too far away is the farm shop,close to the Meriden end.All sorts of goodies but not cheap.The meat has good flavour and worth the expense.

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:03 am

denise that brings back memories,
The Bear at Berkswell I have been there many times years ago. A wonderful old pub, well recommended. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by Deleted User , Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 pm

YAY,my monkey is finally saying BOO LOL

For a fiver the carvery at stonebridge and The Wheatsheaf can not be beaten.A full roast dinner for fiver can't be bad.

#5 by Sheldonboy , Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Denise my fine friend,
Yes a fiver for a Carvery is very good. But if you go to The Plume of feathers on the stratford road shirley. You can get an excellent carvery for £3.50. Slightly more at weekends of course. But great food at a great price. I don't know how they do it.
It's just down past Morrissons, going towards Stratford. I'll be surprised if Phil doesn't know it. . SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:26 pm

SB & Denise

I have to say that I have tried all the eateries you have mentioned and I was not over impressed with any of them. I like carvery's but I have never found one that could match up to Hillfield Hall up at the back of Solihull there. I will never understand why they stopped doing the carvery there. You used to have to book a fortnight in advance.

I think the trouble is with these pub restaurants that they have a high turnover of diners and the quality of what they serve up becomes less and less important.

There again besides the fact that I'm such a moaning old bugger, I have to admit that they do a good job for the prices they charge. What I really hate is when it costs the world and along with lousy service it is terrible food.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#7 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm

We no longer eat anywhere expensive.......a treat too far when it turns out to be disapointing I think.

I also do not like to travel too far either.

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 am

We very rarely eat out anymore unless we are on holiday or invited to a function. I always thought that one of the best meals out was to be had at Bedders Chip shop in Hay Mills. But since it changed hands, I have only been there once a couple of weeks after they sold up.

I have not been there for a while now as I have been told that it has gone downhill quite a bit.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 pm

I always used Bedders when they were open, but now it's gone to the fish shop in the sky museum.
A great place for a carvery is the Barnt Green Inn, I always go there when I'm in Brum, as much as you like even seconds, reasonable price and desserts to die for, I always come from there bloated.

signman

#10 by Deleted User , Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I must say there is a nice little cafe in Meriden.

They do take away as well or you can have a proper cooked meal.Cheap and cheerful.

Very popular with the workmen and all the rest of us.

I do not like the chippie in Meriden.The chips are not good in MHO.If ever you vist think you are better off going to the cafe,much nicer food.

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Denise

I must give the café a try in the summer.

John

At Hillfield Hall where I mentioned, when it first opened you could go round the cavery buffet as many times as you liked. You could help yourself to whatever you wanted including a choice of about 5 meats.

It really amused me that you could see all the patrons pull up outside in their Rolls, Mercs, Jags and other numerous limousines and inside it was like they hadn't eat for a month. I'm sure beggars off the street wouldn't have eat as much.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by toady , Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Does the Hillfield Hall still exist?

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi June,

Have you ever eaten there?

As far as I know it is still open, but it belongs to some restaurant chain now you know something like the Berni Inns. So I haven't been there since it was taken over. I can get a 4oz steak at home.

Here's a photo of the restaurant from the outside. Somewhere I have a photo taken on the steps outside of with all my wifes family after celebrating my sons 21 st birthday there. I'll have to see if I can look it out.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#14 by Deleted User , Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Where is this place please ?

#15 by Sheldonboy , Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:59 am

Phil regarding Hillfield Hall
i suggest you have a look at this useful link. SB

http://www.solihullcamra.org.uk/old_pub_names.htm -

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 02.08.2010 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What's The Recipe Today John?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor