Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Eating Out

#31 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:32 pm

SB

Now I know you used to use this place, The Cresta in Hobs Moat. If you were a gourmet then it was a waste of time eating here. Simple food, plenty of drink and good (sometimes) entertainment. I always paid the extra 50p for the steak.

But it was always a good night out, and you always had to book a table Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I could never make it out why they closed.

I don't remember who it was appearing the night this photo was taken, but they couldn't have been very good according to our faces. Why does nobody ever smile when this sort of photo is taken.

This one one of the rare occasions we were able to get some of the regulars out of the Hereford in Kyrwicks Lane.

Around the table from left to right are Graham who lives up by you SB. My uncle Ben who you will remember June. My mate Alf (another Sheldonite) Sid & Pearl the gaffers of the Hereford. On the other side of the table Roger & Maureen, Roger was head boy at Dennis Rd School when I was there. Then we have my delightful wife (she reads this occasionally) and myself. I ask you to note the only one with an empty glass and empty plate.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#32 by toady , Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Phil
I would have recognised Ben, am I right in thinking this was by the ice rink? I used to work just up from the Wheatsheaf but not very familiar with the area.
It looks a bit like the Night Out used to be on Bristol Street did you used to venture there?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#33 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm

June

The Cresta was next door to the Solihull Rink on Hobs Moat, I did get in to the Night Out but I much preferred the Cresta. I also used to go occasionally to Kings at Hamstead, but I didn't think it was up to much. La Dolce Vita was another port of call, but I never had a meal there unless you can describe the Chicken in a Basket as a meal.

If you ever pass the Hereford in Kyrwicks Lane, pop in the bar and you will see a brass plaque memorial to Ben where he used to sit at the Bar. He was very well liked and respected in the area. When he was buried the crowd filled St Agatha's on Stratford Rd and you know how big that is.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#34 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes Phil I did infest the Cresta on various occasions. One night I remember well, there was about Forty of us from work. The main attraction was Martin St. James the Hypnotist. He made my mate who was around Sixteen stone, Ballet dance. We saw others there but I can't remember who off hand. But my favourite place for the shows was La Dolce Vita. SB

If this was the best I could do. It wasn't good enough

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#35 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 am

Never been to a night club in my life.

signman

#36 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 pm

John

So what did you do with your young life? I think night clubs were part of growing up. Though I don't like to think of my grandchildren using some of the clubs in Birmingham now, but I know they do. They are sensible kids so I don't worry, well not too much.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#37 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Spent in pubs from the time I was 16 usually playing snooker in the Custard House in between fraternising with the gaffers daughters.

signman
Last edited Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:31 pm | Top

#38 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:16 pm

John

They say that its the sign of a misspent youth "fraternising with gaffers daughters"

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#39 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

It would probably have been safer in the night clubs.

If this was the best I could do. It wasn't good enough

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#40 by Voltman , Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 am

So back to Eating Out.

Sausage, Double Egg, Tomatoes and three Dry Toast.

My order when I used to go to cafes, such as Stans Cafe in Handworth, years ago.
Not something I've done in a long time.

VM

If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#41 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:11 am

It's still there VM my order each lunchtime when I worked on Holyhead Rd. was cornbeef, mash and peas, he always used to put a big knob of butter on the mash, nice touch, about 4 bob if I remember right.

signman

#42 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

I never passed Stans without going in for a sandwich & a coffee at least when I was out and about.

I remember I took a client in there once when we were viewing some work at Handsworth Boys School. He was one of the head surveyors at a top Birmingham firm. He had obviously never been in a greasy spoon café before. I could tell this by his attitude but I thought I'm not going to get the job so why should I spend a fortune in some restaurant trying to butter him up.

He ate everything that was put in front of him and darn near licked the plate. A week later it was confirmed in writing that we had got the contract and I also heard later that he became a regular eater in Stan's.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#43 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:18 pm

more of my signs Phil.

signman

#44 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Laura and Bea, 2 of the young girls who work in our pub have just sent me this pic of their breakfast, they have just got up (2.30) and have to work tonight, even I would have a job to eat this lot.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#45 by Voltman , Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:56 pm

I hope that's Dry Toast.

I have to ask Signman, do people often send you photo's of their meals?

If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What's The Recipe Today John?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor