Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Eating Out

#16 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 pm

SB

Yes a good link, but I had already found the information elsewhere.

Denise,

If you follow SB's link you will see that Hillfield Hall closed in 2002 and was converted into flats along with The Stables next door which was a public house separate to the Restaurant. It is up the back of Solihull Town Centre just off Church Hill.

It's a great pity, but the writing was on the wall once it was taken over by the restaurant chain. (I'm sure it was Berni Inns).

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#17 by toady , Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi Phil

It is some years since I went to Hillfield Hall, it was when I was based on the Cranmore so am going back to early 80's it was nice full of character.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#18 by Deleted User , Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:24 pm

I missed out on that one,what a shame.

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Denise

Sadly it looks like you have, I have to say it was my favourite restaurant in the 70's and we went there many times. The best thing was, it was good food in nice surroundings and you didn't get overcharged.

June

Had it been taken over when you was there? I never used the place after that. My wife went there one night on a ladies night and was so disappointed that there was no carvery. So was I because I told her to bring me a turkey drumstick back and she wasn't able to. They used to sell them off because they couldn't carve them, they used to weigh about 4lb. I remember that quite a few of us waiting for our wives back at the club were disappointed that night.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by toady , Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:14 pm

No Phil it hadn't been taken over the directors took us out for a christmas meal enjoyed so much went again it was about 81 after that we used to go to the St Johns on Warwick Road and after that the Metropole at the NEC, had a lovely free weekend at their hotel in Blackpool, I used to book all the functions so was invited to see the lights and stay at the hotel the hospitality was super.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:17 pm

June

Lucky you, I had a brother who used to work at one of the biggest Travel Agents. His job was travelling around the world inspecting hotels that were applying to be included in their brochure. You can imagine what sort of a job that was.

He often invited my wife and I to accompany him to many places around the globe, completely free he said the only money we would have to spend would be outside the hotel.

But we never took him up on it, we did spend some time at some English hotels with him however.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#22 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Phil, what an oppurtunity you missed, wish it had been me.

signman

#23 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm

John

Can you imagine that he gave that job up (gave it up, not sacked or redundant) to work as a manager of a bookies in the Bull Ring Centre.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#24 by toady , Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Fancy giving up a job like that, can you remember the name of an eaterie on the Warwick Road through Knowle, I think at one time it may have been called the Bridge it was after Knowle but before the Black Boy.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:16 pm

June

Are you sure you don't mean The Orange Tree, Chadwick End just past The Black Boy. I can't think of anywhere else of note out that way other than a couple of places in Knowle itself

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#26 by toady , Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Phil it isn't the Orange Tree I think thats at Chadwick End it was either just before or just after the Black Boy, it was a bit up market not a toby or a berni then there was the Waterman just before Hatton.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#27 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 pm

June

Is the one on the canal bridge, The Herons Nest. I missed that one because I have always meant to give it try one summer evening but I never Have.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:03 pm

June

I managed to find one of the photos taken at Hillfield Hall when we celebrated my sons 21st. Here is some of the party standing on the steps. Thats my son over on the left of the photo.

That my mother in law standing in the middle holding a turkey leg wrapped in silver foil for my supper. No wonder I had begun to put on weight, perhaps it was part of a plan to see me off.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#29 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Smart Family mate

If this was the best I could do. It wasn't good enough

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#30 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

SB

Half of them were inside still drinking and eating. We had to prise them out with a crowbar. You only have to mention free food and drink and they crawl out of the woodwork.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
What's The Recipe Today John?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor