Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi June

120 Kywicks Lane would have been between Long St & Main St or between The Stratford Arms & The Railway if you prefer that.

St Albans was in Conybere St that ran from Moseley Rd to Gooch St.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#92 by mikejee , Fri May 21, 2010 10:59 pm

No 120 is marked in red on the 1913 map
Mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#93 by toady , Sat May 22, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Phil & Mike

Thank you so much how do I put the photo and map onto my tree? no good with photos, the other address I found was Salop Street i'm just going to google that.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#94 by toady , Sat May 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi

I have found Salop Street it's by Highgate Park so near to St Albans

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#95 by mikejee , Sat May 22, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm afraid I suspect neither Phil, nor I, can help with your query. Phil is not into genealogy, while I, though interested, have never put together a family tree on computer, other than the standard things on the GR website
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#96 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 22, 2010 2:59 pm

June

Mike is quite right, Family trees are something that I has never interested me. I don't know why really. I'm sure nothing could be more shocking than what I know already.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#97 by James , Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi, I am new to this website, so my apologies if this is not in the right place.
I have been interested in the correspondence about Montpellier Street. I have
been to trying track down a family who used to live at No 25 in the mid 1950's, and I
believe they used to have a shop (maybe at the same address !) It is obvious that
the shop and surrounding housing were demolished in '60's.
Their names were Kathleen Beardwood and James Watson and they had a son
Peter, who must have been around 10/11 at that time. The business was sold
in 1958, but I have not been able to trace them after that.
Does any one remember them, perhaps someone went to school with Peter,
what was the shop called, etc etc.
ANY information would be much appreciated
Regards, James

James  
James
Date registered 11.07.2010

#98 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi James

First of all let me welcome you to the forum, a small but elite group of members, I must admit to a mental blockage concerning this shop because I simply don't remember it. Though I walked up and down Montpelier St in the 50's & 60's a thousand times and used the fantastic hill many times for go soap box go carting it will not come to mind.

The only shop I can remember is on the corner of Montpelier St and Kyrwicks Lane a Greengrocer. Yet Kelly's 1950 lists 25 as a shopkeeper Charles Webb next door to a newsagent and again in 1966 as a shopkeeper G Adams. I don't remember either one of these shops the 1966 edition puts them on the North side of the street which must put them quite close to the Bank on Moseley Rd. I'm just wondering if the bank bought them out and demolished the premises for a car park. The two shops may have moved around the corner on to Moseley Rd because I can remember a shop and a newsagent there.

Perhaps our expert at these sort of things Mikejee might care to make a comment if he looks in on this. He is the bloke to sort this out for you.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#99 by mikejee , Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm

1955 and 1956 list Charles Webb at 25, and 1962 gives G Adams. the electoral roll only lists Charles and Joan Webb there in 1950 and 1955. Again on the electoral rolls, Katherine & john Beardwood are listed as at 107 Bryn Arden road, yardley in 1950. there are only 4 beardwoods listed in birmingham (at 2 addresses) in 1955, at Icknield port road and St Lukes Road .
Unfortunately there are 23 James Watsons listed in 1955 (none in montpellier road)
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#100 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:34 pm

Mike

As usual very precise, I hope that James can do some good with this.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#101 by James , Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Phil and Mike,
Thank you very much to you both, you have certainly done some digging in
a short space of time.
My main piece of real evidence is a letter from 25 Montpellier Street, B'ham 11
dated 30 April 1958, where Kathleen Beardwood states that they (which is
herself and James Watson) had just received confirmation that they had sold
the business. Now, I made the assumption that it was a shop and that they probably
lived 'above it', but this obviously may not be true, but in any case we can
assume that they lived at No 25 prior to that date, with their son who may have
been called Peter Beardwood ! Is it possible they only lived at No 25 sometime in
in 1956, and then 1957 and 1958 etc, and maybe everything was in her name ?
Kathleen and James were married at a B'ham Register Office onThursday, 22 May
Can I thank you both very much for all your help
Regards, James

James  
James
Date registered 11.07.2010

#102 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

James

Anytime you think we can help just pop back, even better hang around on the site and introduce yourself. We are always pleased to welcome new members. The lad you mention would have been the same age as me and I only lived around the corner. The name is not familiar to me, we have another member on here who lived in the area about the same time and her husband lived even closer. I'll ask her to take a look at this thread. You never know.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#103 by toady , Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi James

Unfortunately my husband and I cannot help you, Peter that you mention would probably be the same age as my husband we went to Stratford Road School now called Ladypool Primary not sure where Phil went my husband remembers the shop on the corner of Montpelier Street and Kyrwicks Lane but not the name of who owned it, the Bank was on the corner of Montpelier Street and Moseley Road then there was a chemist next door I think the owner of that was called Bennett next to that was a papershop the owners of that were Cooper, the daughter would be about the same age she used to be on Friends Reunited, I will look to see if she is still there.

Keep in touch.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#104 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 pm

June

James is talking about a shop that was in Montpelier St itself, as I said I couldn't remember it. I was wondering if it was now the car park to what used to be Lloyd's Bank.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#105 by toady , Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Phil

I don't remember a shop by the bank nor does my husband, the only place for a shop was at either end due to the railings on either side of the road, I wonder if James means Montgomery Street instead of Montpelier Street just a thought?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor