Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#166 by fred , Sun May 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Max,
Another girl your mum might have known, she is the one on the left the blond her name was Shiela and she lived in upper Brunswick rd about 40 yards up on the right the houses had a nice bay windows she is sitting on my lap [Hug]

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
fred  
fred
Date registered 05.15.2012

Last edited 05.20.2012 | Top

#167 by fred , Sun May 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Phil,
I have noticed i don't have to resize which is good

fred  
fred

#168 by fred , Sun May 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Max,
The Red Lion regulars, my dad is in the bottom photo top left. are your grand parents amongst them or does your mum know any of them.

Attached pictures:
fred  
fred

#169 by mollymandysb , Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm

welcome max and fred, my other half was born in balsall heath in 1953 and lived in the highgate/balsall heath area for a long time. i know he lived in oldfield road (not too sure where that is in balsall heath) but i know he goes on about ladypool road. his name is ken smith and his brothers were john and brian smith. they are related to the wedgbrows who i think also hung out around that area.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#170 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Steph

Oldfield rd was another road that ran off Ladypool Rd, Wedgbrow is a familiar sounding name. Though I can't recall where I know it from.

Phil

phil

#171 by Max Rogers , Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Ive not forgot Fred, Just not seen Mom to ask!

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers
Date registered 05.14.2012

#172 by fred , Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Max Rogers,
Does mum live still in the Birmingham area.

fred  
fred

#173 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 pm

A couple more photos of Ladypool Rd, these are what I think to be M & J's mens outfitters and another earlier photo taken from more or less the same spot (the bottom of Runcorn Rd) looking along the Lane. I suppose the mens outfitters could equally be a photo of Tony's by Highgate Rd.

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 pm | Top

#174 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:43 pm

This one definitely is Tony's Mens Outfitters and another photo of the once Co op buildings just a little further up the Lane toward the Olympia Cinema.

Attached pictures:
phil

#175 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Heres a couple of pubs to finish off with. I always like to finish in a pub.The Clifton On the corner of Clifton Rd and the George on the corner if Alfred St (I think)

Attached pictures:
phil

#176 by Lynn ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello Max, l know your post was a little while ago, my husband was browsing this site and read your comments to me. I lived in Leamington Road in the early 50's. My Mother and Father were Tom and Celia Betts. I am Lynn and my older sister is Avril. I remember your Grandparents, your Uncles and your Mum. My Mum and your Grandmother were good friends and used to regularly visit the cinema together. I remember the shop and your Mum. I remember her being lovely, tall, slim. I have happy memories of the shop. Full from top to bottom, small dark wooden counter that lifted - we were small enough to go under it at the time - which we tapped our pennies on to attract attention when we wanted to buy sweets. A couple of chairs against the side wall! It was a lovely community with so many friendly folk. I remember your Grandparents visiting us, after our move from the City, for tea. Your Uncle John was with them and was delighted that Mum had served "all his favourite food". The families exchanged Christmas cards until the late 90's. My parents, now very sadly gone, would have been delighted to hear of Linda, her brothers - and Son! They talked so often of their days in Leamington Road. Happy Days. My Aunt Gladys and Uncle Joe and my cousins Terry and Geoff Ward also lived in Leamington Road, my Aunt Rene and her Sons Michael and David Poole spent a lot of time there too. I remember the Hastings, who owned the shop in Leamington Road and was friends with their Granddaughter Cathy Parry, we'd be 3 or 4, (her Mum was Barbara). I'm rambling now, so will finish. With best wishes Lynn

Lynn

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor