Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#136 by Max Rogers , Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Brilliant! Thank you so much! I would really appreciate some more to look at.

That was definitely my Granddads middle name. I remember taking the michael out of his middle name!

Do you remember the shop or even the family at all?

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers
Date registered 05.14.2012

#137 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Max

No sorry I have no knowledge of the shop at all, other than I may have popped in on the odd occasion to buy a few sweets on the way to Dennis Rd School. I do know someone who lived local and I will contact him to see if he has any memories about the shop. Are there any other areas of Sparkbrook or around there that I can perhaps show some photos of?

Phil

phil

#138 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Here are a few more photos of various locations along Ladypool Rd, one of them gets a little closer to the shop. Ask your mother if she remembers Burdens Ice Cream Ladypool Rd was famed for it.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#139 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

Max

I have had a word with Fred who used to live in Leamington Rd, and he says that he used to use the sweet shop because he fancied the girl that lived there. He must be talking about your mother. He also says he remembers a young lad that lived there also (her brother).

Phil

phil

#140 by Max Rogers , Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm

Phil, thank you so much for your efforts. I really appreciate it.
I have heard on numourous occasions, "Ive never tasted anything as good as Burdens Ice Cream". I'm sure I mentioned and championed Henley Icecream to her once, but she basically looked down on it because "I've never tasted anything as good as Burdens Ice Cream" rendition arrived from her lips once more.
You made me laugh about Fred fancying my Mother. Im sure she was a looker in her day, as she spurned a very good looking son!
My wife went to the photo shop today to try and blow the photo up you sent me, but unfortunately,due to it being emailed the quality decreases. I wondered if I could find out where it actually came from?
If Fred remembers by Uncle Keith, he may well remember my Granddad George, who apparently got the kids calling for him as often as my Uncle. I'm told they would stay out all day playing Cricket & Football. You just don't hear stories like this anymore do you? Marvelous stories.
Other areas my Mom mentions are things like Moseley Baths, and the obvious teenage haunts of the Locano. She often talks about Mrs Gardner, (whose Husband was an apparent genius on the Piano) A family called the Collets,and I know Mom worked for Chinny in the Bookies, who she adored as he looked after her. A lot of the old Gals used to come in the shop and chat to my Grandma. Apparently she had a couple of empty seats in there for them to sit down!
Once I've sorted my Moms birthday, I shall tell her about this site. She will Love it!

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers

#141 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Max

I really am sorry but I am unable to recall just where I sourced that particular photo from. The problem is that I have many thousands of photos and I have tried keeping a record of where they all come from, but that only leads to complication because there is only so much information you can keep with a photo. Cant you print of a copy yourself because I'm sure the resolution is good enough for that. Try these two that I am reposting you should be able to blow them up a little more.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#142 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Max

By the way, Fred has joined the forum so sometime later he may be on with a few memories for you.

Phil

phil

#143 by Max Rogers , Wed May 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Phil, as I said I appreciate it. I'm not the greatest on Computers, so I shall entrust Max Spielman to work their magic. It would be good to hear from Fred on here. I love hearing about all the old stories.

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers

#144 by Max Rogers , Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Just out of interest though Phil. Right at the start of this thread you mention an organisation that you refused to name in Balsall Heath, where I may be able to find some bits and bobs out. What is the Organisation called? Is it a charity called The Tree Nursery?

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers

#145 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

Max

You don't say how old you are, but if I have a problem with my computer I ask my 11 year old grandson and he can usually sort it out within a couple of minutes.

Phil

phil

#146 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Fred

I see you out there, welcome to our little forum, hurry up and say something, max is sitting here all agog waiting.

Phil

phil

#147 by fred , Wed May 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Phil,
The photo of the shop Jukes wallpapers and paints i was always in there with my dad as he was a painter decorater and your photo No 4 that would be Runcorn rd as i remember siting on the wall on the left waiting for the news papers at the news paper shop i deliverd for.

Fred

fred  
fred
Date registered 05.15.2012

#148 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Fred

Max would like to know what you remember about his grandparents sweet shop and any memories of the area he could share with his mother on her birthday.

Phil

phil

#149 by fred , Wed May 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Max Rogers,
I used to live in Leamington rd and i went to Clifton rd school for starters, and i am sure your uncle Keith also attended that school it was a long time ago, and i was in and out of the shop on Ladypool rd all the time and i had a crush on your mum. i have one or two photos which i took of Leamington rd one with the shop that was in our road "Hastings" your grandma mite remember that little shop, if you would like me to put them on for you i will. there was another shop just in Leamington rd just round the corner from Ladypool rd a little green grocer's no photo of that one.

Fred

fred  
fred
Date registered 05.15.2012

#150 by Max Rogers , Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Get the photos on then Fred. I would love to see them! Who did you knock around with back then? I'll be able to ask my Mom if she remembers any of your lot? Especially anyone who kept coming in for a quarter of boiled sweets and an eyeful!

Max Rogers  
Max Rogers

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor