Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#46 by toady , Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi Phil

The photo of The Lane (Ladypool Road) regarding Woolworths/Peacocks you were right in thinking Woolworths and Peacocks were by each other from Highgate Road you came to Woolworths first Peacocks was on the corner of Studley Street.
The photos you have posted of Balsall Heath, I recognise Edward Road and The Cottage of Content on the corner of Montpelier Street, Dad used to be in the darts and domino teams

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#47 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:00 pm

June

Did your dad ever use the Talbot? There were some fantastic pubs within five minutes walk of our houses. The Talbot, The Warwick, The Cottage, The Railway, The Stratford Arms, The Hereford,The Junction, The Angel, The Turners. Yes you could have quite a pub crawl without getting five minutes from you own house. Less distance to stagger back.

Here are photos of the Talbot and Angel, also a photo of the outdoor on the corner of Long St and Spark St. I wish I had a pound for every time I crossed over the bomb site where they built the new flats by your house to buy something from there. Its also where David and Margaret moved to when they demolished the outdoor and built the new houses.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#48 by toady , Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi Phil

Yes Dad used the Talbot any many more when he was in the Darts and Dominoes league from The Cottage, I can go one better I was friends with Linda who lived at The Talbot then she moved to The Avenues at Bordsesley Green, it was surprising how much loose change you could find on the floor after closing time!

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#49 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi June

I was friends with a lot of gaffers at the Talbot, it was my local for about 10 years prior to it closing. I'll never know why they closed because the land it occupied its still unused after over thirty years.

It was still doing a good trade when it closed, but they had been using it as a training but prior to its closing. Some of the trainee gaffers were good and some not so good. When they closed the Talbot we all moved to the Hereford up Kyrwicks Lane. We couldn't move to the Cottage because the gaffer at the time Murphy was a maniac a good bloke but we would have all been alcoholics by the time we finished. He would never let you out of the pub. I know you have heard of lock ins, but he locked you in if you wanted to stay or not.

I think the only pub out of all them local pubs left is the Hereford. It was our Ben's local. They put a brass plaque on the bar where he used to sit.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#50 by toady , Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi Phil

I take it Ben never moved out of the area? I was in Wythall in the week you have got me looking at everyone now in case it might be David

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#51 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi June

No Ben never moved out of the area, he bought his mothers flat for her and he continued to live there after she died. He never married, he was engaged and she gave him an ultimatum her or his mates. The fool chose his mates, he never seemed to have serious with any girl after that.

I doubt you would recognise Dave after his recent illnesses it has taken a toll on him. He must have lost 6 or 7 stone. I doubt after his stroke he would recognise you as his mind wanders a bit. His phraseology has never been very choice and I'm afraid now he doesn't seem to care what he says.

But if you see a little old man with short cropped grey hair on crutches accompanied by a young woman with long blond hair (his daughter) hobbling about swearing at the motorists if they won't let him cross the road it will be Dave.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#52 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi Phil

I didn't realse that David was that bad, did his children go to Woodrush High School?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#53 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:23 am

Hi June

David has got three children, they are adults now. They all went to school back in Balsall Heath back before the schools got so bad down there. The oldest lad is still at home with his father. I think he will be like Ben and never marry. The younger son lives in Coleshill with his girlfriend and the daughter who comes every day to look after her dad lives in Edgbaston by Cannon Hill Park with her boyfriend, whatever happened to that thing called marriage?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#54 by toady , Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Hi Phil

Thanks for the photo of Long Street, thought I had better swop pages as that is on the one for Hardings Bakery, there was a shop on the left run by Miss Specer a bit further on opposite the "new houses" built on the bomb site was the outdoor and further down passed Spark Street another shop owned by Bakers.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#55 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:49 pm

June

I didn't know any of those people, but my time spent at Larches St was odd. I was tossed around a bit as a child from grandparent to grandparent so to speak and sometime with my mother in Nechells.

I Lived in Larches St from 58 to 63 on and off and from 68 to 70. With some odd times between those dates.

How long has it been since you were down that way? You know that Larches St has gone completely now and the only part that is left are the maisonettes where my Nan lived. Thats called Timbers Way now and the only way in is from Long Street.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#56 by toady , Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi Phil

I got married in 67 and left Larches Street in 68, Dad died in the house in 71 and Mom left in about 75 she remarried my dads eldest brother and moved to South Yardley, I have a friend whos sister still lives where they built the new houses off Ladypool Road before the traffic lights with Highgate Road.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#57 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi June

I was working with David in 71 he was still in Larches St living next to the Warwick then. I don't have any memory of your dad passing away, but I probably knew about it at the time.

Diane's husband Sid still lives in the maisonettes next to where you lived. They lived on the other side of the block to Nan. When Benny died he left the maisonette to Michael (Davids Son) he kept it for a few years and rented it out. But he eventually sold it to the Italian couple who lived upstairs for their daughters.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#58 by toady , Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi Phil

Back from Sunny, Snowy, Windy Devon I didn't know Dianes husband Sid and I don't know the Italians above where your Nan lived, did you know the Smiths that lived in the first house past your Nan they had two girls Kathy and Pat and a son David next door to them was the Morgans who were related to Hudsons the removal company on the corner of Woodthorpe Road, they also had a second hand shop on the corner of Larches Street opposite the Talbot.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#59 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi June

You nick up and down to Devon quite a bit don't you. Have you never thought of moving down there?

I don't think I recall the Smiths, but I knew the Morgan's. I used to have a drink with George in the Talbot. We used to do an occasional job for Mrs Hudson. I think Georgie ended up working for her in her second hand furniture shop on the corner of Woodfield Rd.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#60 by toady , Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Phil

Up and down M5 like yo yo have lots of friends down there and a good social life have always said we would live there but that day somehow never comes.
Woodfield Road I keep calling it Woodthorpe I went to school with a girl from Woodfield Road Barbara Klee I have been trying to find her with no luck, she lived in Sheldon for a time and when I worked in Sheldon went to see her, there was a pub in middle of Coventry Road I think it was the Wagon and Horses and she lived in a flat quite close to there, do you remember the sweet factory in Woodfield Road?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor