Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

#76 by toady , Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Phil can't tell my left from the right thats what I meant left, do you remember the bookies that was on the right dad used to have a bet there on a Saturday, but must admit I thought the next street down was Turner Street and Marshal Street ran between Turner Street and Larches Street, while I think have you a photo or do you know where in Ladywood was St Margarets Church early 1900's, at least I think it was Ladywood.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#77 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 pm

June

The bookies you mean at the bottom of Larches Passage that used to be the chip shop was one of the shops owned by Birmingham Historian Carl Chinns granddad. This photo one of Mikejee's brilliant photos of the area when it was being demolished shows the shop at the bottom of the passage its the blue one.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#78 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:03 pm

June

When you have a look at this, take a look at the two photos of a circus in Sparkbrook in the 50's. Have you any idea where it would have been, can you remember it? I have no memory of it. But there again I spent years at a time away fro Sparkbrook in my childhood.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#79 by toady , Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi Phil
That could have been on the bomb site in Larches Street, but it isn't, I wasn't that old in the 50's and I would have thought I would have remembered a circus, I will ask my Husband when he comes in if he knows. I was about 4 when we came to live in Larches Street previously it was my moms uncles house and when they built the new maisonettes in King Street in moved into a ground floor one they were very nice and modern in fact they are still there.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#80 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:43 pm

June

I already ruled out Larches St, Highgate rd, Alfred St. I just wondered if it might have been where they built the new houses in Long Street just above Spark St. Was that a bomb site?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#81 by toady , Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Phil

My Husband can remember a circus but is thinking where the photos could be, we have ruled out long street the houses either side of Spark Street were still standing But think maybe King Street was a bomb site, that is where I said moms uncle moved to from Larches Street, do you remember the school built in Main Street was that a bomb site?
Will come back to you unless you get the answer
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#82 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

June

That is where I meant, I think it could be a distinct possibility that it was where the school is now opposite king Street.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#83 by toady , Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Phil

My husband remembers a meteorite landing on that bomb site and the police keeping everyone away, he also thinks it is Main Street, the reason being the slope of the roofs of the houses, there was more of an incline on Main Street.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#84 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 pm

June

Thats true, and the road running from the right hand corner to the T junction would be King Street. I can live with that explanation. Thanks for yours and hubby's help.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#85 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 pm

June

Do you and your hubby remember this shop on the corner of Kyrwicks Lane and Montpellier St, opposite Long St. I remember it because when we were about 14 we always popped in there to get a packet of cigarettes on the way to the Alhambra picture house.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#86 by toady , Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Phil

You have got me there I don't remember this shop at all will ask other half when he comes in, I was probably more interested in the home made bread shop opposite
will come back later.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#87 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Heres another photo that I dug out recently, its Christchurch School at the bottom of Long Street. Looks like they are celebrating November the 5th and it also looks shortly after the war from the way they are dressed.

There was certainly no worries about health & safety then.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#88 by toady , Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Phil
My Husband remembers the shop on the corner of Montpelier Street, he also remembers having Bonfires on the bomb building where your Nan moved to, I also remember that although he doesn't remember the fire in the photo although he did look to see if he recognised himself!!!!
Love looking at old photos
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#89 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 07, 2010 7:51 pm

June

I know just what you mean, I have loads of photos of crowds in the Bull Ring in the 50's & 60's. Whenever I find a new one I spend ages with a magnifying glass trying to see if I am on it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#90 by toady , Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Phil

Guess what!! have just been doing my family tree and have found someone living at 120 Kyrwicks Lane who married at St Albans Parish Church any idea where this is/was?

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lee Hall Farm, Yardley.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor