Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Genealogy Enquiries

#46 by mollymandysb , Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:57 pm

hi everyone

just a quickie

the St Thomas grave yard is it still there, with head stones etc. if so might be worth me looking through it to see if clara was buried there.

really must do a trip into birmingham but busy trying to de clutter my house (will take years) and what with all the fam hist information i hav e i am adding more clutter.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#47 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Steph

If you go to St Thomas's looking for gravestones I think you might be disappointed the information I have is that they were all removed when the church was bombed in 1940 and the bodies were re-interred at Warstone Lane Cemetery. I think you might be better making enquiries there.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#48 by mollymandysb , Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:31 am

thanks Phil

I know iv heard of it but where's warstone lane.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#49 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Steph

Warstone Lane is in Hockley near the Jewelry Quarter there are two cemeteries there. Warstone Lane & Key Hill. I believe you can make enquiries about internments here, warstonelanecemetery@bmsgh.org

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#50 by mollymandysb , Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm

thanks Phil

will do that.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#51 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

Posted by mollymandysb
thanks Phil

will do that.

steph

Hi Steph Astoness is our expert on Key hill and Warstone lane. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#52 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:32 am

thanks sb

weather nice again today so really must try and do the lawns, when is the grass going to stop growing and get ready for winter.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#53 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am

hi all

i see astoness is on line so perhaps she can help me re warstone lane cemetary. am intrugued by clara rowbotham's fam history, athough not my own, as you will see from other threads i was researching on behalf of my elderly neighbour, who was born in birmingham and never knew really much about her dads side of the fam.

not really sure where clara rowbotham's resting place is, dose the birmingham cemetaries department do an overall search for this information. i do have the death cert which says her address was 6 washington street, so i presumed she would have been buried in st thomas and then moved to warstone. but as it has been pointed out the electoral registers for 1925 and 1927 show the premises were unoccupied. are there any archives of funeral directors dealings. (I am a strange one). i know if you go to a funeral director today you have to produce death certs and such so would it not have been the same in 1927, and a bit strange if they picked the body up from another address but saw on the cert that it was a diff address. i must say that this is a very strange family as when my neighbour was born 74 yrs ago, her mom and dad put down the address as melrose avenue, birmingham as where she was born, but in fact, she was not born there, they moved there when she was a week old.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#54 by astoness , Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:03 pm

hi steph..its not unual for a birth to be registererd as the address where someone moved to shortly after..my dad was born in the globe pub summer lane birmingham but the family moved to the rose and crown hingesteston st 4 weeks after his birth..this is when his birth was registered but place of birth is down as the rose and crown...what exactly did you want to know about clara...do you know the date that she died..i see the address is given as washington st...oh and what area was washington st in..i dont think ive heard of it..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 09.02.2011 | Top

#55 by mikejee , Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 pm

Here it is Lyn. no 6 is in red

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#56 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Lynn

washington street is up holloway head. clara died 3rd November 1927 and was registered by her son reg morgan 4th november 1927, name and surname was clara agnes jane morgan otherwise rowbotham, she was 54 yrs. (co 5) dressmaker, widow of reginald morgan a master plumber. cause of death haematemesis (origin unknown) heart failure. apparently she died at 6 washington street and reg her son lived there.

i can find no records of any marriage between clara rowbotham and reg morgan and the family say they did not marry. they are still adamant that she was a classical concert pianist. just be nice if i could find her resting place.

thanks

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#57 by astoness , Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:54 pm

hi mike thanks for the map showing washington st...steph i would have to say that clara would most likely have been buried at the st thomas church given where she lived when she died...i will ask someone i know who can give me the list of burials at both warstone lane and key hill cems...actually i am going down tomorrow to join up with the friends of key hill to help in their quarterly tidy up of the both cems ready for the open day the sat after...will get back to you asap...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#58 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 pm

thanks Lynn

have just been reading birmingham history forum site, i take it that you on there as well under astonia, researching jelfs. wow what luck in finding a relative.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#59 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

that shoud have read astoness,

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#60 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:05 pm

[Little LOL]

Posted by mollymandysb
that shoud have read astoness,

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor