Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Genealogy Enquiries

#31 by Voltman , Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

Phil,
I don't know if it is still available but The Church of Latter Day Saints, in Garretts Green Lane, were selling the complete "1881 British Census And National Index" on CD Rom for a very reasonable sum.
It is now available on line for free but with the CD you can browse neighbourhoods.
The CD, like all the free on-line stuff, is a record of the book entries. The actual handwritten forms are pay per view, useful for checking suspected errors in the book.
The forms in the earlier censuses were written by a man that went door to door. In the later censuses householders were permitted / encouraged to write their own forms.

Also see
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/54.htm
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:57 pm

VM

I'll take a look, but ideally I would like to get some of the later ones on CD. I think that that medium is so much better than pouring over web pages and being charged every time you do.

I will take a look at the two free sites you mention, but I find with free sites they tend to make viewing complicated. Mind you so do some of the pay to view sites.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#33 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Mike

Sorry mate, I missed your reply. Thanks for the info, I'll give FMP at try for six months. I think I will just do the 1911 census at first to see how I get on.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#34 by mollymandysb , Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm

hi dont know whether phil or mike can help, always grateful for the help you v given me so far, holders who ran the Gaiety are there any programmes for the 1900/1920 either at the library or on line. have checked arthurlloyd site but nothing.

thanks

molly

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 03.12.2013 | Top

#35 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:01 pm

Steph

I think the one to help you is Stirling Single (Lynn) she is the one with all the Holder ephemera, but I will have a look around for you and see what I can come up with.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#36 by mollymandysb , Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 pm

thanks

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#37 by Stirling Single , Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Steph,
Yes, I do have a Programme fot The Gaiety - Theatre of Varieties dated - Monday July 7th 1902 General Manager, at the time, Mr. A. Bushell.
When folded out flat it is just slightly over A4 size so will go to Staples to-morrow and get it reduced to A4 so that I can post it here for you.
May I ask Steph - What is your interest in Holders Concert/Music Hall. I have been collecting information on it for quite a time now.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#38 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Steph

I have found this one, I'm afraid its pretty low resolution so I am unable to enlarge it enough to read the small print. Lynn it might interest you as well.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#39 by mollymandysb , Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi everyone

well still trying to unravel the family history of clara rowbotham, who was supposed to be a classical concert pianist, she died in 1927 and was living at 6 washington street, birmingham, altho i v been told the house was according to the electoral registered empty? (have the death cert) again apparently on the corner of washington street holders had a pub so was wondering if i could see if she worked for them anywhere. she had a photo taken of herself (a cabinet portrait) by chares silk of 24 heneage street, birmingham. i think this is in aston. it seems such a pity that i cant unravel the mysteries of the early 1900/1920.

just keep chipping away at it to see if i can unravel anything.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#40 by mollymandysb , Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:26 pm

hi all

sorry for that my '' l' keeps slipping, so should reach charles silk.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#41 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi Steph

Heneage street was indeed in Aston then, now it's in a district called Nechells. I have to comment that it would be a long way to go to have a photograph taken if she lived in Washington Street. It's not that it would be an unreasonable distance to travel but I would have thought there would have been closer photographic studios than that as cabinet photos were all the rage then. Do you think there might have been some other reason she might have chose this particular photographer such as nearness to a place of employment?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#42 by Stirling Single , Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Steph - The Gaiety Picture that you posted, I have got - I found on Flickr - Where did you find it ?

The Holders had a few pubs in and around Washington Street - Do you have the name of which one was on the corner of Washington Street ? as I haven't quite sorted all that out yet.

For the Ancestry site, if you haven't joined - I went to the library and they logged me on for £2.50 for an hour and after I had gained access I was able to printed off what I wanted for 10p a time. - Just a thought.

The Gaiety Theatre/Music Hall was on the corner of Coleshill St/Gem St - I don't see her name on the programme that I have but will keep looking for you.

Will post this programme this afternoon. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#43 by Stirling Single , Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Let's see how these two scans turn out - mabe not resized properly. Lynn.

Attached pictures:
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#44 by mikejee , Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Steph
I may have missed something out, but am not clear why you were looking for a pub on a CORNER in Washington St. I think, though there is a little doubt , that the building in red in earlier years was partly no 16 Washington St (although it is marked as wholly 37 Upper gough St in 1955). Hope that makes sense. No 16 Washington St in 1900 was listed as the Woodbine pub. Soon after it is just listed as a beer retailer, which could mean it was a beerhouse or an off-licence, I am pretty sure it is part of the building in red, as it is always shown in Kellys as this side of the junction, and this is the only place it can be.

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#45 by mollymandysb , Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 pm

Hi all

yes, Lynn i am on ancestry, so if you ever need anything let me know. used to be free at the library , so are they charging now. ancestry as well as most other sites let you have 14 days free trial. with ancestry i subscribe monthy £12 whenever i need to. am on genesreunited until december which has the 1911 census.

reason was querying holders and washington street, because i think it is on an earlier thread that there was a mr holder living either next door or not far away to 6 washington street where clara is registered as living when she died in 1927. altho again i was told that the electoral registers state that the house is empty. this is a real mystery, i started the research for my 74 yrold neighbour, got quite a way back on her moms side, but her dad's well we have got stuch in 1900. i was able to trace clara rowbotham and her family back to 1800 in tewkesbury.

the story is that clara rowbotham had a son, reg morgan born 1908, address on his birth cert is great colmore street, birmingham, clara obviously did not live there very long because in 1901 and 1911 there is someone else living there. i have found her in 1911 in belgrave road, basall heath, but her occupation is down as dressmaker. the father is named on the birth cert as reg morgan, master plumber. however, my neighbour and her cousin are adamant that clara was a concert pianist. altho again on her death cert her son has registered the death and it says dressmaker. from the other thread it was suggested that as holders were active in washington street perhaps i could tie her in. not sure if she used a non de plum (think thats how you spell it). where there any posters advertising these concert halls with prhaps pictures of the artist, as i have a pic of clara.

i get frustrated if i hit a brick wall but they are generally about 1840 or parish record time not as early as this.

thanks

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birmingham Childrens Home Project

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor