Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Genealogy Enquiries

#16 by mikejee , Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 pm

June
Below is c1890 (probably survey around 1887) of Tennant St showing where I think 43 may have been. I am not certain because , although the directories around 1880 put it north of the school, some of the later ones I(where it is listed) put it south of the school. The school is the building on the right by the S in Street from tenant St. the 1880 census does not show a Burgess in the immediate area , and in fact no 43 is not listed ! But there is a tin worker , a tin polisher and a dipper (possibly tin) in the surrounding 20 or so houses on that side of the street, so there is possibly a tin factory nearby.
The 1890 census shows a Richard Burgess (7), son of Alfred L Burgess, furniture remover (37) and mother Dinah (37), with brothers Alfred L (15), charles (12) and sister Edith (13, dress makers apprentice) and Kate (9) and Uram (?) (3). They were at 12 William St.
Following this , in 1880 Alfred Lloyd Burgess as at no 4 back 157 Latimer St South , which is off Gt colmore St. He is a hardware packer, and is then with wife Dinah, son Alfred Lloyd, and Charles, and daughter Edith
If you send me you email address by private message, i can send you a scan of the relevent pages
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 02.03.2010 | Top

#17 by mikejee , Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 pm

June
Apologies, but in the last post i put censuses as 1890 and 1880. It should have course be 1891 and 1881.
In the 1901 census Richard is at 203 Holliday St with his mother, who is now sarah, a widow. I presume iwas Sarah before, but still don't think it looks like it:
Sarah Burgess widow 47
Edith Burgess daughter 23 dressmaker
Charles H Burgess son 22 Brass-?
Kate E. Burgess daughter 19 Brick drawer?
Richard Burgess daughter 17 wood machinist
Uram (?) Burgess daughter 13
Elizabeth Burgess daughter 11
Annie Burgess daughter 8
Elsie M Burgess daughter 6
Nellie Burgess daughter 2
In addition, on ancestry there is a family tree including the above going down to Phillip Burgess. Incidently on it it states that Alfred Lloyds mothers name was Urum, so my Uram? Is probably Urum. but it also puts Richards wife as Dinah ! Can let you have it
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 02.03.2010 | Top

#18 by mikejee , Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:44 am

June
Have rechecked the 1901 census, and now think that Charles was a Brassfounder, and Kate was a Brass dresser.
I have found another family tree. It apparently contains 533 people, but only a small number very close to you. This has given copies of some certificates, that I will send you. It looks as if the person (Osborne) compiling it has been reasonably thorough, but you should always check everything you can. The compiler did include a copy the criminal proceedings against a John Burgess (in relationship to John Hallworth .Burgess, who looks like being Alfred Lloyds father) although there was no Hallworth in the name, although it was in Leicestershire, with no other evidence of him being in Leicestershire at any time, and although he was sentenced to life transportation, but later references put him in Birmingham. There may be something I’ve missed , but this should make you only definitely accept what you can prove.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Mike

As usual, you look as if you are doing a sterling job there. I know that June is very appreciative. But allow me to add my thanks to you for all the time and effort you put into these things. Even if you do enjoy it as you tell me.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by Sheldonboy , Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 pm

I'll agree with Phil there Mike, I wouldn't have the patience myself but I have been trying to follow you. It looks like a bit of a minefield.
Many thanks for your hard work. SB

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#21 by toady , Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi

I have thanked you for all you have done on other sites, but would like to confirm it again, you have made me sad and happy on different things that have happened in the past.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:08 pm

June

One of the reasons I have never looked into my family history is because the little I know of its recent history is enough to put anybody off finding out more.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#23 by Sheldonboy , Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 pm

Phil did they ever catch anyone for that.?

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:51 pm

SB

Very droll, watch you don't cut yourself.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#25 by toady , Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Phil

Don't get me wrong when I say I am sad, perhaps that is not the right word at the same time I am a child with a new toy the information Mike has sent to me I never dreamt I could get I don't regret for a minute starting this in fact i started 20 years ago but I am amazed at what Mike has sent to me, you have to be prepared to take the good with the bad up to now it is all good, I never knew my dad had so many aunts and uncles you never know I may have long lost cousins, I was always led to believe my ancestors were from Ireland up to now they appear to be true Birmingham.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#26 by colin walker , Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 pm

june I bet you didn,t know that phil,s real name used to be Turpin .Not that i,m saying he is related but Phil Turpin does sound a good name.
Ha Ha sorry phil

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

#27 by toady , Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Colin

Does that mean his first name is Dick

Sorry Phil

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#28 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Don't you mean Ben,....June...

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 02.13.2010 | Top

#29 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Mike

As you know I do not take an interest in genealogy, but census information interests me. So what site would be best for me to buy credits to view the various census information. Or is there a better way of doing it?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#30 by mikejee , Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 pm

If you are just interested in censuses then Find my past has, i think, all of the censuses now, including 1911. I use ancestry. This also has access to some dirctories and also telephone books,but presumably iy would be costly to do a long search on these on credits, so for just censuses FM P would probably be best for you

mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birmingham Childrens Home Project

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor