Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#196 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm

pudding

The closest I can get date wise is 1913 and there is no Bowmer listed anywhere at that date. Perhaps Mike who has a bigger library of Kelly's Directories than myself can get closer.

phil

#197 by mikejee , Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Teh 1913, 1915 and 1921 Kellys do not list any Bowmers. However the electoral roll for 1920 list mary & john bowmer at 101 nechells Park road. This is the coop bakery in 1921 and not listed in 1915. so it was maybe a short-lived shop at 101, though they are living there also in 1922 & 1925.
If that is the shop , 101 is in red

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#198 by Deleted User , Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Thank you Phil, Mike, I now know where the shop once was infact the shop next door was a shoe shop when I was a kid in the sixty's known as Better foot wear which was on the corner of Austin street and Nechells Park road I did purchase my first pair of boots from there big tuf to keep up with the fashion at the time.

#199 by Pam Keeling , Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm

My mom used to get my shoes from there as well. Leather t bar shoes and all my friends were wearing the fashions of the day lol

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#200 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm

pudding

Heres one I hardly remember yet I played in a school playground opposite for about two or three years years. It's the corner of Scott St and Erskine St.

Attached pictures:
phil

#201 by Deleted User , Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi Phil, and here is one for you

The corner of Great Lister street and Little Francis street.

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This is where The Highland Laddie pub was in earlier times.

Last edited Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm | Top

#202 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Is this the Highland Laddie you mean? Do you know I didn't even know I had got this and I don't remember where it came from, it's not one of your is it?

Attached pictures:
phil

#203 by Deleted User , Wed May 01, 2013 2:52 pm

Thats the one Phil, it is not one my pictures personally I don't think my dad was born then never alone me.

#204 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm

I tell you what pudding it's strange because I have no recollection of acquiring it at all.

phil

#205 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 02, 2013 1:56 pm

This would be I think the corner of Oliver St & Great Lister St at the beginning of the last century number 141 to be exact. I don't remember what was there in the 60's though I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bakery. Pudding have you got any idea?

Attached pictures:
phil

#206 by Deleted User , Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Phil I think this part of oliver street and gt lister st and bloomsbury st corner was cleared before 1960's, infact you may have a photo of the said corner taken from high tower or Queens tower with the turks head pub which shows hoardings in the place where the once shop was.

#207 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Pudding

I've got it located in my mind now, yes I do have that photo but it doesn't show that side of the road.

phil

#208 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 03, 2013 4:03 pm

pudding

I've been thinking about this and I don't think the where the hoarding was located could have been the site of the shop in my photo (first photo). The shop on the left of the second photo must have been the one on the hoarding site. The shop in question was where the red X is on the map. Though I still have no recollection what was there in our time, perhaps that was a bomb site as well.

Attached pictures:
phil

#209 by Deleted User , Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi Phil, I think the shop we are referring to must have been demolished after the war the reason I say this is I have google the area of the corner of oliver st and gt lister st the building of the shop is still there from what I can make out with a slate roofs,however this patch I think was develop when they built Queens tower? posting a few photos that you may be able to work it out.

look to the right side of the old bank that was on bloomsbury st you can make out the door way of the shop it appears to have a concrete roof.

Attached pictures:
Last edited Mon May 06, 2013 6:53 pm | Top

#210 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Pudding

The shop can be seen pretty clearly here it was taken in 1954, the original shop was obviously bombed out during the war and replaced with a ground floor only temporary replacement. Though I still don't remember the shop, there again I didn't do a lot of shopping in those days.

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor