Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#226 by Deleted User , Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Well Phil here is another one to had to your collection,(can you tell me where I would've have been standing to get this shot and what is the name of the road/street?

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

#227 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:52 pm

pudding

All I can say is that I don't think it's my end of Nechells and more likely it's your end. Going by the height of the lampposts I would say that it's most likely a main road and possibly a bus route, from the style of the lampposts I would say that it dates from the 70's at the earliest. Now if I was forced to guess I would say around Cuckoo Rd.

phil

#228 by Deleted User , Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Phil, you are correct in saying it was my end it is the bottom end of Long Acer with the junction of Cuckoo road, there was a fishing tackle shop plus two more shops I think? the shot was taken from the old Cuckoo bridge about 1965.(sorry it's not very good as it is copied from a video.)

Last edited Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 pm | Top

#229 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

pudding have you seen this one?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#230 by Deleted User , Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Phil, thanks for posting the photo of the red lion which was on the corner of High park street and Thimble mill lane, and no I have not seen the picture before now. Phil did you know there was a pub on the corner of railway terrace and high park street on the same side as the red lion it was called The Flag so I have been told, I can recall seeing the building but it was always boarded up when I lived in Nechells as a kid.

Last edited Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 pm | Top

#231 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Pudding

Yes you are right there was a pub at No 1 high Park Rd called The Flag, though I don't think it was a pub for long. It's not listed in the 1950's edition of Kelly's.

phil
Last edited Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:46 pm | Top

#232 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Pudding

Did I get these from you? If not have you seen them before, I know you will recognise the location. I was just doing some sorting out of my files and came across them.

Attached pictures:
phil

#233 by Deleted User , Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Phil

the color photos of Thimble Mill Lane are of member Mike's I think? as for the Black & white one is taken by a uncle of a gentleman I think his name was Chris on another forum.

#234 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:52 pm

pudding

I don't think the colour photos were taken by Mikejee, Mike very kindly shared a lot of his photos with me a few years back when we were trying to put locations to then when he suffered a flood in his cellar and he lost some of his records. I don't think he ever got round that area when he was photographing. There again I could be wrong, perhaps he will let us know if he sees these.

phil

#235 by mikejee , Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:04 am

Yes, as you say, they are not mine Phil. I aay have visited the area of thimble mill lane, but did not take any pictures

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#236 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 am

As I said Mike I did not recognise the area as one you covered when you were taking your photographs.

phil

#237 by Deleted User , Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:03 pm

sorry gentlemen, but where ever they have come from and whom posted them on the net for us all to see and share I am grateful.

#238 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:43 pm

pudding

this would have been a more likely chance of being one of Mike photos. The subject matter is more of his liking.

Attached pictures:
phil

#239 by Deleted User , Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:03 pm

refferring to post #208 Phil, shame about the watermark.

Attached pictures:
Last edited Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:05 pm | Top

#240 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 pm

pudding

Nice find, but I am even more sure now that I have no memory whatsoever of this corner when it was like that. Though all this means that it just probably didn't register me, as like most youngsters I wandered around with my eyes closed half the time.

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor