Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#241 by Deleted User , Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:36 pm

heres another one Phil, ashted row don't know the name of the side road?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
Last edited Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:36 pm | Top

#242 by mikejee , Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Phil
I prefer open pubs to closed ones. Actually when I was taking photos there were not that many pubs I took, surprisingly. Does not mean I did not go in many though

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#243 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:41 am

That's the trouble with this forum it's full of reformed alcoholics. Pudding I think your junction of Ashted Row has to be Willis St, therefore the corner house has to be Dr Tighe's surgery the one he moved into when he closed his one at his house down the road at the inception of the NHS. Willis St is the only one you would have seen houses o the dog leg turn before it continues on to St James St. Henry St had a dog leg turn before you continued on down Barrack St, but you would have seen the graveyard of St James. Windsor St continued straight on.

phil

#244 by Deleted User , Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Phil, thanks for the info relating to what the side street name was, I never knew that Dr Thighe moved a few doors away from his original surgery before he moved to Greenbank House.

anyway...Hic...cheers mate.

#245 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:20 pm

Pudding I'm assuming he moved to there in 1947 when the NHS came into being. I would imagine it had something to do with claiming expenses for a surgery off the NHS. I know he lived in his old house until he moved out for demolition.

It was a wonderful old house, we of course were in there (as kids do) the day after he moved out. What we would have assumed to be the back entrance must have been the main entrance at one time. You went through the doorway into a large hall with a double staircase, at the top of the staircase there were landings to each side, but concealed and boarded over at the top of the stairs was a very large room which at one time must have been a function room. Though at some time it had been converted to an operating theatre, all that remained was the table and the large light over it.

It really was a criminal act to demolish those houses along there, but that's Birmingham for you.

phil

#246 by coalhole , Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm

as kids do...you say you where in dr tighes house after he left I wish I had managed that one I was in the nursery at the bottom of gt brooke st after it had closed also the vicarage about half way up gt brooke st opposite the gulley playing with the telephones and wandering why they would not work they where a novelty in those days I was also in the closed army barracks back of the junction pub the old folks retirement home on Vauxhall rd and the old GUYS BREWERY which I think was on the corner of newdegate st before they put the loco engine there great days for kids I wonder if anyone remembers those old buildings in their haydays....oh I forgot I was also in the LODGE TYRE.

coalhole  
coalhole
Date registered 05.17.2013

#247 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Coalhole

With those big houses we practically waited on the doorstep for them to move out, we couldn't wait to get in to see if they left anything of interest. I remember when they closed St James's Sunday School on Henry St I found a little hand pumped organ and several big leather bound books. I had no idea of the value of books then but knowing what I do now I wish that I had hung on to them.

phil

#248 by Deleted User , Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi all, came across this birds eye view of old Vauxhall/Nechells taken 1935, see what you can make out in the picture.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

#249 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Great photo pudding, took me a little while to align it with way I remembered because of it's age, but when I sussed it out I realised that I could actually see my mothers old house in Inkerman Street.

phil

#250 by colin walker , Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 pm

yer phil I spotted mine on Dolman Street as well

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

Last edited 08.04.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Grosvenor Street / Grosvenor Row

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor