Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#691 by astoness , Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:54 pm

thats a nice building john..what do you have to do to it then....enjoy yer dinner and go easy on the tots..[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#692 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm replacing the signs with the new name but in the old style as seen in the photo, the pub is now called THE WESTBOURNE.

signman

#693 by astoness , Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:57 pm

great stuff john..maybe you could post a pic when you have finished it....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#694 by Deleted User , Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Lovely old picture John.

#695 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:17 pm

John I admire your skill, most people probably don't take too much notice of many signs apart from just reading what they have to say, but many are works of art in their own right. I personally would have love to have been able to do coachwork on lorries etc. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#696 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks SB, I'm afraid after 57 years you become a bit blase about it, but I am told every day, especially when working outside, the only trouble is you get stopped so many times, it takes you twice as long to do a job, I'm thinking of charging for interviews ha ha.
I was asked to get down off the ladder the other day by a man in a suit, who then proceeded to offer me a job in London, I explained I was retired and only pick and choose my jobs now, he said he wasn't concerned and offered me a ridiculous sum of money, I was very tempted, but realised I would be tied down and tied to a work schedule again, so refused, he was quite put-out.

signman

#697 by mikejee , Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:12 pm

John
There can't be many people like you around, and that's why so many people are interested. Modern "signs" (if you will excuse me calling them that) are usually so unoriginal, and often so standard. Where a business sign does have some originality, because an expert is usually not available to actually produce it, then the final product is often badly done . My abilities in that sort of thing would be awful, though my grandfather did do some signwriting, and somewhere I still have his wooden box with brush ends (or whatever they are called ) in it with some rather decayed sheets of gold leaf. I can quite understand why you turned the bloke down. He would have paid well (probably), but would have had you rushing about, and complained if he thought you were taking too much care.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#698 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:27 am

It's a Sign of the times I suppose.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#699 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:46 am

Good morning everyone, It's a right cold and frosty morning in Brummytown this morning.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#700 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:03 am

Morning SB , on your way to brekkie.
There's a bit of a nip in the air down here, I've got to go and stand on a ladder for a couple of hours, (wanna join me) and then another job will be under my belt.

signman

#701 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 am

John

I'll come and join you, but being management I'll sit in the pub and shout instructions up to you. I'm sure you have met my type before.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#702 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Evening all..cold today.

Jim has had a rare day off so we have had a nice day together.Had a meal out,he had Haggis LOL and I had salad of course LOL.
And I have had a day off dog walking in the freezing cold Yippeeeeeeeeee.

#703 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm

Ah, there is life out there then? It gets lonely on here all day on your own. I've had three arguments with myself, I nearly came to blows once.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#704 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Tink you have done the best thing Phil,staying in the warm that is. LOL

Just as we got bback our friends rang us asking did we want to go for a drink,only been in a short time but we decided we wanted to stay warm instead,we must have something wrong with us LOL

#705 by Voltman , Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:35 pm

Does anybody know what the word "Entire" refers to on the pub sign in Signman's old photo of two ladies outside the pub he is working on?

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor