Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#6541 by lynne webb , Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Lyn you forgot to say its blowing a gale and freezing cold here in Brum,

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#6542 by astoness , Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:14 pm

lynne you are right ive just looked out the back....im putting the heatinf on in a bit...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#6543 by astoness , Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:31 pm

hey up....SB is about.....[Hammer Head Yellow]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6544 by Voltman , Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Posted by phil
Volty

I used Baskerville House a lot in the 70's when we had the County Council stationed there we were always in and out of the Planning Department for one thing or another. I never noticed that sign then, perhaps it was covered up because the building was being used by West Midlands County Council.

Phil

Phil, it's a mosaic in the floor at the main entrance, perhaps it had carpet over it?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 10.18.2011 | Top

#6545 by astoness , Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Posted by Voltman

Posted by phil
Volty

I used Baskerville House a lot in the 70's when we had the County Council stationed there we were always in and out of the Planning Department for one thing or another. I never noticed that sign then, perhaps it was covered up because the building was being used by West Midlands County Council.

Phil

Phil, it's a mosaic in the floor at the main entrance, perhaps it had carpet over it?

i think it looks lovely volty....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6546 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Volty

I don't think it is a mosaic as such, it might be made up of pre-formed sections. Even then the joints look pretty fine, the next time I see my two Italian friends at Birmingham Tile & Mosaic I will ask their opinion because if its mosaic then I bet one of their relations did it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6547 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Posted by phil
Volty

I don't think it is a mosaic as such, it might be made up of pre-formed sections. Even then the joints look pretty fine, the next time I see my two Italian friends at Birmingham Tile & Mosaic I will ask their opinion because if its mosaic then I bet one of their relations did it.

Phil

Phil did you meet your Mosaic Friends when you were out on the tiles?

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#6548 by astoness , Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:54 pm

[Laugh Out Loud] SB..very good...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6549 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy

Phil did you meet your Mosaic Friends when you were out on the tiles?

Oddly enough their fathers used to have a yard next door to my local the Hereford and they used to pop in for a drink occasionally. We used to do a lot of work for their fathers until they all retired or died, then the sons started up on their own its a sort of family tradition.

I remember before these terrazzo tiles came on the market, no one was allowed on a job while they were casting a terrazzo floor and the area was screened off while it was being done.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6550 by astoness , Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:33 pm

phil where was the hereford...ive not heard of that pub

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6551 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Lyn

The Hereford is on the corner of Kyrwicks Lane & Priestly Rd Sparkbrook. When they demolished the Talbot on the corner of Larches St and Highgate Rd in the mid 70's we all moved up to the Hereford. It was much the same except for the fact the Smoke Room that we took over was a little bigger.

Then the planners came along and ruined the Smoke Room by giving it a face lift, so we moved into the bar. My Uncle Ben who was younger than me by one week drank in there until the day he died. There is a brass plate screwed to the bar where he used to sit in memory of him.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#6552 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Phil, is that big mosaic place still there on the island just outside Dudley.

signman

#6553 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:31 pm

John

Do you mean Roman Mosaic at Burnt Tree island? I think they are gone now, well from there at least. I tell you once they brought in these 12 inch Terrazzo tiles it ruined the terrazzo game for these Italians who had generations of experience. No wonder they kept it secret for so long.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6554 by Voltman , Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:01 am

Posted by phil
Volty

Phil

Ok Phil, I wasn't really saying it was made from tiny bits, I was trying to indicate that is was inlaid and not just on the surface, sometimes the words don't erm..... arrive, pop up, come to me when I need them. I do have some other shots but I don't expect them to reveal anything more other than the fact that the area was cordoned off and a sign describing the origins of the Arms was placed in front of it.

So it might well be the sort of thing your Italians could have been called in to do as I doubt there would be many people about who were skilled in that sort of thing.
I took a small number of shots inside the building when I was in there in 2001, removing some electronic controls for BCC. Mostly of interest to myself but there are a few architectural details. I wish I had taken it seriously and photographed the entire building. I had free run of it for a whole day, if not two, I don't quite remember. I may be able to put them in the photo gallery if I can edit out my mate.

Anyway, the Coat of Arms will still be in the floor, even if it is now a hotel.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#6555 by Voltman , Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 am

Posted by phil
John

Do you mean Roman Mosaic at Burnt Tree island? I think they are gone now, well from there at least. I tell you once they brought in these 12 inch Terrazzo tiles it ruined the terrazzo game for these Italians who had generations of experience. No wonder they kept it secret for so long.

Phil

I'm not sure if it was Terrazzo but I watched a bakery floor being laid in the early 80s. The bakery was Pannetaria Italiano. The owner had a marvellous flowery Italian name and the bakery was on the Tyburn Estate, now just behind Star City. It was his second bakery, I helped install him in an old building just off the Parade, he did so well there he was able to open this completely new place, his car was a Lotus Elan and he was a pain in the backside at all times, but I worked for someone else so I didn't have to take much notice of him.
Anyway, I digress, he used Italian contractors wherever he could and in particular I remember the laying of the floor. It was poured in square sections, vibrated, ground and polished. It looked like slabs of sliced marble when it was finished.
Probably not Terrazzo but something that I admired and remember well.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor