Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: good morning,BIRMINGHAM.

#5011 by Deleted User , Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:42 am

Hello all,bright here but coolish,cold last night I would say.

Been quite impressed with the dongle,had to move about a bit to get the thing to connect but not bad really.

Leaving Tewkesbury today,bit sad but work calls.

The Fleet pub has reopened,I wish them luck but it has always been mega busy when the sun shines and ultra quiet otherwise so wonder how long it will last?

It is smart but the place looks to me like an upmarket canteen,not to our taste but better than a sad old empty building.

We have had some good nights in there but with the price of drinks now no longer a place to linger.

Three new vans on site 12 feet wide,always had to have 10 feet as narrow lane getting in but the land owner managed to arrange getting a crane on the pub car park and they were craned over.Saw some photos and sad I missed the event LOL.It was an expensive do but three people on here got together and shared the cost as is was all done in one day.

#5012 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:52 am

Morning All,

It's quite nice here this morning, but I noticed a few spots of rain.

Denise,

Have I asked you this before but did you ever get in to The White Bear on Breedon Rd? We used it when we was working down there for a few weeks and stopped on site. It looked about the only pub that would accept workmen and they made us very welcome.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5013 by astoness , Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:51 pm

hi all...hope you have had a good day...spent quite some time in the garden today..had to remove a shrub from the front that was just taking over...looks better now...

phil ive signed that petition..cant put on open forum exactly what i think of the idea..nuff said...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5014 by Deleted User , Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Lynn,you sound like you have been busy as always.

Phil,just checked with Jim as I forget but he said no we have not been in that one.

#5015 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Good evening everyone. nice Thunder Storm we had earlier. Getting dark enough for another one I think.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5016 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes quite a downpour we had this afternoon, mind you I like sitting in the dry watching lightening storms. I'm not so keen in being out in them though.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5017 by astoness , Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Posted by denise
Hi Lynn,you sound like you have been busy as always.

Phil,just checked with Jim as I forget but he said no we have not been in that one.

hi den..yes i try to keep busy..keeps me out of trouble..just lol...just had good downpour here complete the the thunder..the cats came running in...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5018 by Voltman , Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Hail Citizens.

“I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” – Mark Twain
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#5019 by Deleted User , Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:02 am

I have three friends who live in Enfield,was talking to one on Facebook last night,she was a mile away from the trouble and was worried about her.Reminds me of The Handsworth stuff,I worked in Handsworth at the time and The Postmaster was well known to me,he always saved the first Day covers that I collected at the time,he was burnt to death in a police no go area.I have found all this very upsetting.

If you want to protest fine but why all this ??Why not just march and protest??

#5020 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:01 am

My son was on duty at the Handsworth riots, he told me that the police wouldn't let the fire or ambulance services through the cordon. Both services were willing to take the risk, but the police wouldn't let them. I think the police were just worried about their own skins. So the fire service just had to sit there and helplessly watch buildings burn.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5021 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

I was knocking about with a girl who worked for social services and she wanted to see for herself firsthand, so likean idiot I offered to drive her around,it was like a war zone, but we had no problems she was a bit scared and said lets go.

signman

#5022 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

At the time of the riots we were working on an envelope scheme in Handsworth. By envelope scheme I mean that they modernised the whole outside of the house. New roof, new chimneys, new windows and doors, new walls and fences. In fact the whole of the house.

The main contractors were a well known Walsall firm and because we were working in Handsworth to get the contract they had to give assurances that they would employ 20% local labour. They were not even able to get 2% to apply for work, after the riots the television cameras were around to see if these conditions were being adhered to.

That day we were not allowed on the roofs to strip the chimneys and slates, the only ones that were allowed on the roofs were two youths of Caribbean ethnic background and the film crews happily filmed them rebuilding a chimney and went away happy. If they had returned the next day they would have seen my lads demolishing it again because the work was sub standard.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5023 by Deleted User , Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:11 pm

It ia about time they got the Army in,it is spreading and I don't think they will have enough police to handle it all.

#5024 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:51 pm

Denise

Do you not think the police could be standing on the sidelines a bit, showing the powers that be what will happen if they cut the police numbers anymore and especially if they cut off their backhanders.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5025 by Deleted User , Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Could well be Phil.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor