Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#106 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Posted by astoness

Posted by phil
SB

Neither am I, and I would wish my upbringing on nobody. There was very few good things to be said about slum living other than it taught one Independence and how to look after yourself, but with this Independence there came a respect for community and looking out for each other. Perhaps this is where we are going wrong today, the few remaining Brummies have no sense of community or sense of responsibility to each other.

Yet when we look at the immigrant communities they have a deep sense of community and responsibility toward each other. Where have we gone wrong, did ripping the guts out of Birmingham also rip the heart out of it?

Phil

i will go along with that phil....

Far be it from me to disagree Phil. Yes in many cases the community spirit doesn't show itself very often. But also in many cases it does. In years gone by as you say yourself most people had nowt, no benefits etc and the family usually lived close by and neighbours helped each other out.
I can say in the road that I live in we have some older neighbours and quite a few younger ones. Some of them are not quite so friendly, (their choice), Some are very friendly.
We have a few quite old people in our road and I was pleased to see that when we had the bad weather last year, our older neighbours had a good few offers of help. Our neighbours both sides are great friends of ours, we don't live in each others pockets but we all get on very well. The secret I think is to be friendly yourself it's quite often reciprocated.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#107 by Deleted User , Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm

Me Mum says she had to take a pram down the canal to collect the slack.

#108 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Posted by denise
Me Mum says she had to take a pram down the canal to collect the slack.

there you go then den..they were all at it...needs must when the devil drives is what our dad always said...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#109 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:13 pm

SB

I have to say that the last time I saw anything like community spirit was when we last had what were known as local pubs. The sort that had darts teams, domino teams, fishing clubs and buffalo lodges. They would run raffles and collect money all year round with which they looked after the locals OAP's especially at Christmas time when they made sure that they all had coal for the fire and plenty to eat and drink.

So what happened they made it too expensive to drink and closed all the locals down. They replaced them with community centres that were only used by those who were more interested in advancing themselves such as Councillors and MP's. It's a small wonder most of those soon closed down or were sold off.

Phil

phil

#110 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 pm

[quote="phil"]SB

I have to say that the last time I saw anything like community spirit was when we last had what were known as local pubs. The sort that had darts teams, domino teams, fishing clubs and buffalo lodges. They would run raffles and collect money all year round with which they looked after the locals OAP's especially at Christmas time when they made sure that they all had coal for the fire and plenty to eat and drink.

So what happened they made it too expensive to drink and closed all the locals down. They replaced them with community centres that were only used by those who were more interested in advancing themselves such as Councillors and MP's. It's a small wonder most of those soon closed down or were sold off.

Phil[/quote

we are as one again phil..well said...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#111 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 am

Yes an awful lot of things have changed over many years some foe bad and some for better. But as far as this forum is concerned (which is free an part of the community that we talk about) sometimes we should look to the positive. If we keep looking to negative side of life then we will not sustain this group. We have more members now than ever but fewer posts in the second year than the first.
we hope to attract new members but it must make pleasant reading. Yes we should all speak the truth, sometimes that is depressing but we must balance it with the lighter side of life or we will lose members faster than we gain them.
It's nice to see a good healthy argument/discussion. But we all must remember everyone has their own life and point of view, Some people I think actually log on here to cheer themselves up. We should all make this a bit more possible if we are to sustain Brummies Talking as as small but friendly Forum. We must in my opinion look to the more positive side of life or at least see a reasonable balance. SB

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 01.06.2012 | Top

#112 by astoness , Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:45 am

morning all..good points raised there SB..most of you know me personally and although i know im a bit of a brum history nut and i talk about the past a lot i always try to look on the bright side of life no matter what it throws at me..i count myself very lucky that i had a great childhood despite being one of 6 children but i also understand the great difficultly my parents must have had bringing us up...anyhow i will stop rabbiting on now and wish BT all the best for 2012 i have got some good mates on here...[Big Smile]

and now for the weather forecast..dry but windy here in brum....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#113 by Deleted User , Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 am

Yes all life is here I guess.

Some days it is hard to raise a smile but other days are fine.Forums reflect all our moods sometimes.

Sometimes I find it hard to find the energy to comment on the world LOL

#114 by astoness , Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 am

same here den...another old saying is dont let the ******** grind you down....[Little LOL]

anyhow have a good day all...im getting stuck into some acestry work again..had a lay off for a while...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#115 by lynne webb , Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I mainly log on here to be cheered up but I'm nosey as well so like to know what everyones been up to. I like the banter and have never been offended by anything although I dont always agree with folks opinions but respect their right to have them.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#116 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Myself I thought I was pointing out the positive side of a few things that we have lost due to the very badly planned slum clearance history of Birmingham.

Again I will say that it did me and a lot of others beside a power of good it put me on the road of self improvement and will and urgency to better myself.

If anyone has been made feel that they can't have a different point of view to myself, can I just say I have never expected anyone to feel the same as I do about things. Unless you have lived my life, then you are going to think differently than myself.

Phil

phil
Last edited Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 pm | Top

#117 by Frothy , Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Evening all.
Just been reading your posts and I must say you lot reminded me of this Monty Python sketch.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo
Don't have a knock at me I'm only joking.

http://frothblowers.co.uk/

Frothy
Date registered 07.15.2010

#118 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:10 pm

So would we expect any less from 4 ex university and probably private school boys, who have probably never known a days hardship in their lives. I never found any of the Monty Python humour amusing anyway. They were much better taking the Micky out of their own class, at least they knew what they were on about then.

Phil

phil

#119 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for making my point.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#120 by lynne webb , Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Couldnt agree more Phil, never found them funny at all,I thought it was just me.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor