Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am

Morning all

The best wheels for a cart were from a Pedigree pram chassis and they were much sought after by us young un's the only trouble was they were as much sought after by adults for coal & coke carts by adults as they were by us kids.

Phil

phil

#92 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

morning phil..yes i can remember folk loaded up with coal in the old prams....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#93 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 am

Lyn

I knew quite a few families down our street where the baby was took out of the pram to fetch a bag of coke from the gasworks and it was put straight back in after the coke had been collected.

Phil

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 am | Top

#94 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:24 am

phil thats just pic that sprang to my mind..ive got it in my files...great one...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#95 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 am

Posted by phil
Lyn

I knew quite a few families down our street where the baby was took out of the pram to fetch a bag of coke from the gasworks and it was put straight back in after the coke had been collected.

Phil

We had our coal and coke delivered.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#96 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:39 am

so did we phil..but i can well remember if we had no money to pay for our coal dad would give our kid a leg up over a coal yard wall near hunters vale and fill up the barrow during the night...dont tell anyone though will you..[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#97 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:58 am

Posted by Sheldonboy

As I've always said, you posh people didn't have a clue how the other half lived.

Phil

phil

#98 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:05 pm

phil did you ever have to go down into the depths of the cellars (we had 2) with a candle to feed the gas meter...full of spiders ..snails and silver fish...[Help]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#99 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Posted by phil

Posted by Sheldonboy

As I've always said, you posh people didn't have a clue how the other half lived.

Phil

My mom was widowed when I was seven, she came from Alum Rock, my upbringing was far from posh, but she saw I I went without nothing.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#100 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 pm

quite amazing how folk coped in those days..our mom lost her dad when she was just 9 and her sisters 11 and 12 leaving nan to bring up the 3 girls on her own..she never married again..myself the eldest of 6 children with only our dads wage coming in...i can only take my hat off to them all...[Gentleman]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#101 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:49 pm

SB

Alum Rock was like paradise compared to the slums of Nechell's. To know hardship you have got to have experienced the joys of back to back living with 2 adults and 5 kids. In a one living room and two bedroom house (3 rooms in all) when your stepfather decides to move his 3 sisters in you know it's time to get out. When my mother moved to a 3 bedroom house in 1963 it wasn't much better because she managed to have another 2 kids by then. Yes you have got to live poverty to know it.

Why do you think I believe the back to backs in Inge Street give no proper impression of real back to back living.

Phil

phil

#102 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Phil I am pleased to say I wasn't born into poverty, I never lived in back to backs or slums, I make no apology for that. I am not in competition with anyone on that score. I see no need.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#103 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:12 pm

SB

Neither am I, and I would wish my upbringing on nobody. There was very few good things to be said about slum living other than it taught one Independence and how to look after yourself, but with this Independence there came a respect for community and looking out for each other. Perhaps this is where we are going wrong today, the few remaining Brummies have no sense of community or sense of responsibility to each other.

Yet when we look at the immigrant communities they have a deep sense of community and responsibility toward each other. Where have we gone wrong, did ripping the guts out of Birmingham also rip the heart out of it?

Phil

phil

#104 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Posted by phil
SB

Neither am I, and I would wish my upbringing on nobody. There was very few good things to be said about slum living other than it taught one Independence and how to look after yourself, but with this Independence there came a respect for community and looking out for each other. Perhaps this is where we are going wrong today, the few remaining Brummies have no sense of community or sense of responsibility to each other.

Yet when we look at the immigrant communities they have a deep sense of community and responsibility toward each other. Where have we gone wrong, did ripping the guts out of Birmingham also rip the heart out of it?

Phil

i will go along with that phil....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#105 by astoness , Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

just had my dinner and i cant move now...got a box of strawberry creams looking up at me..[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor