Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#3466 by astoness , Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Posted by phil
I've decided that if I ever go in to business again, its going to be one that constructs various animal pens and cages. It's unbelievable what these things are changing hands for. In the last month my granddaughter has purchased 3 new ones and one second hand one today and she has spent in excess of a thousand pounds.

I was clearly in the wrong business all my life, all I needed was a few bits of wood and some chicken wire a hammer and a few nails and I would have been all set.

ye gods and little fishes phil...thats a lot of money for 4 rabbit hutches...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3467 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm

Phil when I set up the Rabbit House for my wife, I bought the first three hutches for £30 each, then I bought some sheets of exterior plywood and some timber and a few fittings and made another six hutches for about the same price. It really is cheaper to make your own.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3468 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

SB

I had no idea what my granddaughter was paying until today when she paid £80 for the second hand one that I picked up for her today. That when I started to ask her how much she had been paying. I have to be very honest I doubt that there was a £100 worth of materials in all the pens she has bought lately and I doubt that any of them will last more than 12 months.

phil

#3469 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 pm

I have looked at hutches in a couple of major pet shops and as you say they look very nice, but are very week and made very cheaply for profit. Used outside they won't last a year and certainly will not be warm enough for animals to survive in during very cold weather. Our hutches are in a shed and are kept warm by two greenhouse heaters on a thermostat. Even then the hutches are packed with straw when it's cold.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3470 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Phil when I said our fierst three hutches were £30 each, that was around 10 years ago.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3471 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Posted by astoness

Lyn

A couple of them are quite big hutches, but even though as SB says they are decidedly a rip off and although they look good they aflimsy flimsey and poorly made. Now that I know what she has been paying I will make them for her in future. The trouble with all the men in this family they are too busy working all hours to take care of things like this. Still I suppose it's better than being layabouts.

phil

#3472 by astoness , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Posted by phil

Posted by astoness

Lyn

A couple of them are quite big hutches, but even though as SB says they are decidedly a rip off and although they look good they aflimsy flimsey and poorly made. Now that I know what she has been paying I will make them for her in future. The trouble with all the men in this family they are too busy working all hours to take care of things like this. Still I suppose it's better than being layabouts.

it is better phil...and if you are good with wood..hammer and nails then i bet you will do a much better job...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3473 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Phil I strongly suggest exterior plywood, the sort used for concrete shuttering, treated well with a good solid roof of the same material it's as tough as old boots. And not over expensive.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3474 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Not that she needs any at the moment, unless of course she buys some more animals. When she does I will use shuttering ply, we used to use that for hoardings around the posh jobs we used to do in town centres. Hey SB perhaps I should have kept the maple boarding that I got off the floor and stage of Mothers.

phil

#3475 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 am

Morning all,
Volty didn't mean to get you going ,I made this for you.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#3476 by Deleted User , Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:29 am

Morning all..............rain hre again and strong wind predicted for tomorrow.What a strange summer we are having.

Worked on the allotment in the rain yesterday and slipped and fell down............felt a bit rattled and was soaked........work today.

#3477 by astoness , Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:51 am

morning all..pretty much the same weather here den...so much for flaming june...[Frowning]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3478 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am

Morning all

Yes its back to normal weather again, thoughtht we were supposed to be having global warming, not global soaking. I see the SE is still supposed to be sufferingng from drought. I heard a spokesman say on the radio the other day that summer rain is no good and they need winter rain. Is there a difference?

phil

#3479 by astwood , Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 am

Morning All
Well is there no end to all this rain its pouring down here
It must be bad im giving the pub a miss today

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#3480 by Voltman , Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks for the picture Signman, I've just finished fussing the visitor, I'll have to show her the picture.
My own black cat from 35 years ago only had one eye, we called him Nelson for some reason.

I hate unfinished sente

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor