Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#1981 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:52 am

Good morning John and everyon. Very Foggy and cold in Brum this morning.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#1982 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:10 am

morning all.. thick fog over this way and cold....just put the heating on for an hour..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#1983 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:14 am

Morning Graham,sunny,bright and very mild here so far.
Going galavanting again today,had a nice few hours in Eastbourne yesterday and fish ,chips and mushy peas

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#1984 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 am

I often wonder why they don't do this more often, these are artifacts from the old west pier and are auctioned off every Sunday morning,
so folks come here and buy a bit of history and nostalgia,I would buy something,but have no where to keep it.
I'm sure a few old buildings about to be demolished in Brum could have the same thing.

signman

#1985 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:22 am

Morning Lyn,you sneaked in without me seeing you.

signman

#1986 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 am

Some cheeky b*******d rang me last night and said "why have you only spent £12 with us in the last year,have you lost your job or something"
I'll leave you to guess my answer,it went something like this _)(**&$%£"£"!$£*^%$^rcuext$£w%ztr&$""!"£"$(^vp*(&)*&&*^%76CVUTY436E67.

signman

#1987 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 am

Posted by signman
I often wonder why they don't do this more often, these are artifacts from the old west pier and are auctioned off every Sunday morning,
so folks come here and buy a bit of history and nostalgia,I would buy something,but have no where to keep it.
I'm sure a few old buildings about to be demolished in Brum could have the same thing.

Yes John they could demolish our new library when its finished. Its ugly enough to win loads of awards.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1988 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

Graham you have no taste or foresight.

signman

#1989 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 am

I no what I like and if you think square boxes are tasteful buidings mate neither have you John. Compare that rubbish with Baskerville house. No contest

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1990 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:27 am

Whilst I agree with you about Baskerville House Graham,( apart from the glass structure on the top) a building in the art deco style of most of the iconic buildings of New York and Chicago.
Designed by a bloke from Nottingham,(hasn't Birmingham got any architects or designers of it's own) it was intended to be the new library
but was not strong enough to hold all the books.
I think the Rep is a monstrosity and if they were to demolish it and put something a bit more adventurous in its place to blend from Symphony Hall to the new library it would be more in keeping with the proposed finished development.

signman

#1991 by Voltman , Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:34 am

SB, I'm shocked and dismayed at your suggestion the new library should be dismantled when it is finished.
I see absolutely no reason to wait that long.

You and I should use an endless stream of vowels and consonants to form the words we will use to effectively assemble a forceful tirade of well constructed sentences which will aid and assist us in our tireless struggle to virtually eliminate verbosity

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#1992 by Deleted User , Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:36 am

Many children killed in that coach crash......what heartbreak.

Five horses dead at Cheltenham.......bloody disgrace.

Not a good news week is it?

#1993 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 am

John I agree with you on the Rep. Yes very few buildings are designed for Brum by English people let alone Brummies. The problem is Designers Desising for Designers. Anyone who doesn't like the work is seen as thick. I know all buildings can't look like victoriam masterpieces, but the design world just goes for cheapness. Just look at bost Hotelas and office blocks Square sided and covered in glass.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1994 by astoness , Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:45 am

Posted by Voltman
SB, I'm shocked and dismayed at your suggestion the new library should be dismantled when it is finished.
I see absolutely no reason to wait that long.

well said volty...its a great pity that the council who have no foresight anyway didnt think to maybe have 2 libraries..keeping the lovely old original building for the very old books and the archive material and a new one for the more modern stuff including all the computers for the youngsters to use...but this would be in an ideal world..which of course it isnt..i also predict that the likes of baskerville house will still be standing long after this new library has run its course....there will no historcal interest to it what so ever in 50 to 60 years time..just my opinion..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 03.15.2012 | Top

#1995 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:24 am

I can never understand why they didn't go with the original idea of moving to Baskerville House. OK so the building wasn't big enough, so what was wrong with building an extension in a sympathetic classical style. All they are doing now is alienating the Hall of Memory and Baskerville House. They have already gotten rid of the Colonnade how long before the other two go because they do not fit in with new new buildings?

Phil

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor