Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#961 by astoness , Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 pm

thanks very much john..yes i agree i hate wrong captions especially if i dont know the area and i send the pic to someone else only to find out its not right...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#962 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 pm

John

Chains on the sashes must have been a good while ago. I have never worked on a property that had them. I've worked on loads that had lead weights that were prior to the cast iron ones.

I thought they allowed double glazing in listed buildings now, as long as the windows were made up to look like sash windows.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#963 by astoness , Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm

so you are quite old then john....not you i mean your place...[Laugh Out Loud] i recall our house in villa st had sash cord windows and the ones in paddington st...

evening all...not been a bad day today...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#964 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Posted by signman
So where are all these new members, at my reckoning we only have 9 members posting.

John

We have quite a few members that have never posted, one of our rules state if you join and never bother to make a post after 28 days your membership will be revoked. All one has to do to ensure continued membership after joining is to make a minimum of one post.

I have deleted some members in the past due to this no posting rule, and I will be deleting some more in the very near future. So if you notice membership has gone down don't worry because the people who have gone made no contribution to the site.

When I look at some of the larger sites that have members running into the thousands it can be a bit worrying. But if you look deeper you often find that a percentage of more than half of the membership have never posted at all. I don't want that sort of thing happening here. I have discussed this with SB and we both agree that we want our membership numbers to be accurate.

We would rather the site stay small in numbers of good members, like we have than it give an inflated impression of what we really are.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#965 by astoness , Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:55 pm

thanks phil..i didnt know of that ruling but it seems fair enough to me..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#966 by Frothy , Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:03 pm

I'd better do a post then. Hello all

http://frothblowers.co.uk/

Frothy
Date registered 07.15.2010

#967 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Lyn

Most forum have the same rule, it along with the challenge response captcha test when registering helps stop robot spammers. A lot of spammers get on site and lay dormant for months.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#968 by astoness , Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

ha i think i understand that phil...lol

evening froth...dont worry i cant see you having any problems posting...[Hammer Head Yellow] just felt like doing that...[Silly Grin]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#969 by astoness , Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm

just been talking to our rachel who live in usa...they are just 10 miles away from a tornado..belting down of rain and 2 inches of water in the house....oh great....[Frowning]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#970 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 am

I drove through a tornado in Tennessee on interstate 40, I have never seen rain like it, I eventually had to pull over to the hard shoulder, I put on my hazard lights and was waiting for the bang at the rear,trucks were flying past at 70 odd miles an hour nose to tail, it lasted about 20 minutes
and was gone in seconds, the sun burst through, and I looked behind me and there were at least 30 cars all lined up behind me.
The scariest moment of my life, not the weather, just waiting for someone to crash into me from behind.

signman

#971 by astoness , Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:07 pm

blimey john..that does sound scary..why they travel at break neck speeds in those conditions beats me..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#972 by astoness , Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:04 pm

evening all...[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#973 by Voltman , Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Good Evening Astoness,

Sorry I was slow responding I have just been reading the last two days of this thread.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#974 by astoness , Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:42 pm

hi volty..are we alone then tonight...[So Sad] me thinks i will have to wake the rest up....[Hammer Head Yellow]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#975 by Voltman , Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:59 pm

I think there is some football thingy on the telly so that may explain some absences.
I'm off now to do some tea before it becomes supper.
Volty.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor