Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Crutchley

#31 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:00 am

There was also a William Crutchley, blacksmith, Pershore Street.

signman

#32 by SusanC , Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:13 am

Signman - Thank you, did not find that. What reference PO Directory? What timeframe? Census?
Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#33 by SusanC , Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 am

Mike, Thank you so much for the copies. I knew Henry Herbert Crutchley, George's eldest son, was a butcher at that address but am not aware as to it's proximity to 85 Coleshill street.

Here's what I have for Census Info
1861 for 85 Coleshill Street -
CRUTCHLEY George, head, mar, 31y, [Butcher], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Eliza, wife, mar, 23y, born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Henry, son, sing, 2y, born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Smith, John, serv, sing, 18y, Butchers Boy, born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Wills, Jane, house serv, sing, 15y, born Warwickshire, Birmingham

1881 for 85 Coleshill Street -
CRUTCHLEY, George, head 53y [butcher], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Sophia, wife 35y [housewife], born Warwickshire, Aston
Henry, son 22y sing [Journeyman Butcher], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Walter, son 14y sing [my ggrandfather] [scholar], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Frank, son 8y sing [scholar], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Florence, daur 6y sing [scholar], born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Lizzy, daur 4y sing, born Warwickshire, Birmingham
Joseph, brother, 40y, sing, {Journeyman Butcher] born Warwickshire, Birmingham
ALSO a 2 young journeyman butchers and a domestic servant.

Sophie Lee Crutchley does not show up in the 1891 census at the Coleshill address. BUT she does show up in the 1887 2nd Qtr FreeBMD Death Index as Sarah Sophia Crutchley, 41y, Birmingham.

1891 for 85 Coleshill -
CRUTCHLEY, Henry, head, 32y [Butcher];
Sarah, wife, 30y [Henry's new wife's maiden name Almond];
Frank, brotherr, 18y [TinPlate Workers Apprentice];
Joseph, lodger, 50y, [actually Henry's Uncle], Retired Butcher;
a general servant for the family
2 young men who were listed as Butcher's Assistant.

1891 for 10 Vicrotia Rd - Staffordshire, Handsworth [How far out is this from Coleshill st?]
CRUTCHLEY George, head, mar, 62y, Gentleman Living on Own Means, born
Staffordshire, Handsworth?? always before Warwickshire, Birmingham??
Elizabeth, wife, mar, 40y, born Devonshire, Plymouth
Florence F., daur, 15y, Clerk (Female), born Warwickshsire, Birmingham.
Elizabeth C., daur, 14y, Scholar, born Warwickshire, Birmingham.

1901 for 85 Coleshill -
CRUTCHLEY Elizabeth, head, widow, 30y [Butcher]own account; born Devonshire, Plymouth.
Florance F., step-daur; single; 25y; clerk in shop.
Joseph, Bro in Law; single; 64y; Butcher
A female general servant
and a 25y; Journeyman Butcher

Haven't found anything after that, except in PO Directories and of course the Gaiety Theatre playbill ad copy which is now amongst the things I treasure.

Hope this hasn't been too long, all your help is sincerely appreciated and warmly welcomed.
Regards, Susan [still snowing in South New Jersey]

SusanC  
SusanC

#34 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:46 am

Hi Susan,
William Crutchley -Blacksmith- had a small workshop in Pershore Street when I knew him,1954-61, but may have been there ealier,I know it's not the time frame you are looking for,but being as it is such an unusual name there may be a connection,Phil has a photo I believe of his workshop.
Regards John.

signman

#35 by SusanC , Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:52 am

Mikejee -- WOW is all I can say for my great great grandmothers death notice! Is there any other paper that might give an indication as to which cemetery she might be buried in? Where can I find the 19th century Birmingham Post to do detailed research in, since I have the majority of the dates? What a wonderful blessing today has been. All this information and also the fact that my 29 year old son had his 3rd operation in 5days to try to say his foot from amputation from an accident last year that wasn't treated properly in the beginning. As you can guess my genealogy has saved my sanity. His surgery went very well, they have now identified what type of Staph infection he has been dealing with for over 10months and have taken all the titanium rods and screws out of his foot and have cleansed it with a special type antibotic and put a halo on the foot and hopefully he will be finally on the road to recovery after almost 12 months. Prayers are answered. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#36 by mikejee , Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 am

Susan
Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he soon makes a full recovery. It is good to have things to do when these sort of things happen, to relieve, in a small way, the continual worry
There are two websites that give access to British newspapers, the more recent one being more comprehensive ( http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk...mpaign=historic ). For both there is normally a charge, but for the older one (the other to the above, originally aimed at academic libraries) , there is free access to members of some local libraries online through the library website. It is this second one which I used, but, as I say the other is more comprehensive. As I said there is a charge,(you have to buy credits and use them within a short time) but this is incurred only after you have searched - You can search for references for free, it is just looking at them that costs.
As to other papers. am not an expert. I believe Aris's birmingham Gazette (probably called the Birmingham Gazette by that time) is, i understand included in the website above.There may be others, but i have never used that website, and it is not included in the "library" website I use

Anyway, good luck in your search and to your son
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#37 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Good news about your son Susan good luck to him

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#38 by lynne webb , Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Susan, have you seen the 1851 census. At 101 Ashstead Row is Henry Crutchley,butcher with brothers Charles a painter and George b. Wolverhampton, a servant. At 103 Ashtead Row is Catherine Crutchley with her sons George a butcher b. Wolverhampton and Joseph. Just wondered if there was a connection.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#39 by SusanC , Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am

Thank You!! to everyone for all your help and also the well wishes for my son. I will check out the web sites mentioned and hopefully find out the exact date of George Crutchley's death. No Lynne, I did not have the 1851 Census information, however I will happily follow those leads.
Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#40 by mikejee , Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:10 am

Susan
Have looked at ancestry and there seem to be several possibilities, considering that birth certificates did not exist when he was born, and so birth dates were a bit vague. One born about 1832 was in Aston, but death was in 1902. However sometimes directories have errors, or more likely, a business can be carried on for a while under the old name, and so the old name appears in the directory. The others are a bit further afield,(Stone, market drayton, west Bromwich) but that is possible if he was with a relative . The date is the date of registration of death, so you would need to send for the certificate to confirm, and obviously would not want to waste money unless you were reasonably convinced
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#41 by lynne webb , Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Susan, see what you think of this info. On the 1851 Census, George and Josephs mother is Catherine b, 1802 at Stapenhall, Derby. I found a marriage at St. Matthews, Walsall on 28th July 1825 of a Thomas Crutchley to a Catharine Croxall. There is a Catharine Croxall born at Stapenhall Derby. There is a Bapt. for a George at the same Church on the 26th of Auguat 1828, Father Thomas, Mother Catharine. I found a Bapt. for a Joseph b. 1836 and Bapt. 25th July 1847 at St. Georges Birmingham, again Father Thomas and Mother Catharine. There is also a Thomas buried at St. Georges on the 15th May 1838.

Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#42 by SusanC , Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:13 am

WOW holy WOW .... you have just turned a really pissy day into sunshine! I am trying to put together a book for my grandchildren who are interested in the family history. Ever since they have been old enough to walk, they go with me to the family plot where all 15 of our Crutchleys here in South Jersey are and help me take care of the weeds around the headstones, polish the big stone and they love to stand on the 4 large corner stones since the plot is quite big and see who can remember just who is where and what relationship that person is to them. We have been doing this since my oldest granddaughter was a toddler and she is now 17. I have printed out a picture for them of the Ship Pennsylvania that Walter Crutchley immigrated to the US on that left Liverpool. They think things like that are cool. They [there are 6 now ages 17 down to 7] all try to outdo each other with the "British accent" like they hear on TV and cartoons. My one grandson is really good at it. They think the old half shilling coin I have is the BEST and must be worth "trillions" as my youngest grandson says. "Buy lots of toys Nanny!" Out of the mouths of babes. Have been at the hospital with youngest son for the past 36 hours trying to keep his spirits up and his mind off the possibility of losing his foot. He is trying to put on such a brave front but a Mommy knows her son NO matter how old they may be. Thank you again for the information I'll add it to the research page. NO SNOW ..... balmy 49 today. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#43 by SusanC , Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks Mike, I found the 1902 Aston, Warwickshire date a quite a few years back and that is what I have been using, just on a hunch. My Walter Crutchley shows up on a ships manifest in April 1905 sailing for Liverpool and returning to the states about 2 weeks later. I have been trying to see if there were any other birth, deaths or marriages in the time frame that would have given him a reason to travel over. Walter did very well for himself after settling in the US. He gave up the butcher business right before he fully settled into Atlantic City, Atlantic Co., NJ - His home was 2 blocks from the beach and still stands. He left butcher business for house painting, expanded that into more of a commercial business doing larger hotels on the boardwalk and big summer homes. As his 3 sons came of age and joined him, only one really took to the business and the other two dropped out. It was W.Crutchley & Son, Painting & Contracting. He had two trucks on the road and employed 5 people. He survived thru the great depression with his political connections. His son William was his right hand man and when he died in 1936 quite suddenly, William's son Herbert stepped up to the plate and worked with Pops. Things were going quite well, he had a way with his customers and had a reputation as an honest man that gave an honest day. Walter had diabietes and had his foot amputated and still put in over 40 hours a week making sure that the company was run the way he wanted it. After his death in 1954, my uncle Herb ran the business full time, aquiring more men and by the time my father got out of the service, W.Crutchley & Son had become H.Crutchley, Painting & Decorating. It had the honor of being the largest Union painting contractor in all South Jersey, especially with all my uncle's political connections. At one time he employed 50 men full time and 35-40 of them were full time in the beachfront hotels just doing paperhanging and painting. He was contracted to the two large horse raceing tracks and the large utility company buildings as well as municipal work. During the 1950-60's if you wanted your beachfront home painted, you had to make arrangement at least a year in advance. When my uncle's health started to fail in the 1970's he looked around for someone to buy the business, but he could not find anyone who would treat his customers with the professionalism with which they had become used to. He had many offers, I know, I was his secretary/bookeeper and the business would have been quite a feather in someone's hat. SOOOOOo he just shut the doors and did not sell the books. He died shortly after my father in 1980. Sorry I got off tract. Again Thank you for keeping your eyes peeled for anything that might come up. I would love to know just when where George Crutchley died and more over a copy of his obituary and where he is buried. If there is anything I can do for you research wise, I belong to about 4 $$$ sites Please do no hesitate to ask, I would love to be able to return the help to "MY" Brummies as I refer to you all. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#44 by SusanC , Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 am

Lynne, The records for George Crutchley and Sarah Sophia Lee's marriage in 18 Jul 1871 in Ashow Parish, Birmingham list Thomas Crutchley, Farmer as he father. Would the father still be listed as a formality even if he is deceased? OR do you think that the Thomas buried at St. Georges on the 15th May 1838 would be a grandfather or perhaps a brother to George and Joseph, or maybe just another Crutchley child? Would the church cemetery lot owner records be of any use in that search. What's your thinking on that? It has helped me out here in the US especially with early German burials from 1680 thru 1802. Seems like every daughter got a cemetery plot as a wedding gift when she married. At least in our lines. Then someone would have a hissy fit with a brother or sister and you would wind up with a plot for 14 and only 10 in it. Ok enough rambling. I'm going to bed, tomorrow will be early since I have to be at the hospital by 7am to be there when they take my son down for another surgery. He's on #4 since last Wednesday ---- BUT ------ we still have the foot and it's looking good!
Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#45 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Susan
What a great story, I have just been reading about Crutchley and son. I read it on the bus to work this morning. Thanks for sharing that with us. SB

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Baron family of Charles Arthur St

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor