Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Crutchley

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm sorry but I thought you were looking for somewhere close to Coleshill St, I know St Barts, St James and St Mary's are gone now but St Matthews is still standing and in use and I think they hold the records of St James as well.

phil

#92 by lynne webb , Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Phil you have got it right, he had a butchers shop in Coleshill St. for years so if other family members are buried in that area maybe he is too. It gets more complicated if I do more than one place at once, but i will get round to them.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#93 by astoness , Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:07 pm

hi susan heres snippet here from the gazette newspaper dated 1854..mentions thomas capas and george crutchley..just scroll down till you get to the right bit..a snippet is just a word we use for a little bit of information...

lyn

Before the Judge of the County Court of
Warwickshire, holden at Coventry, on Wednesday
the 22nd day of March, 1854, at
Twelve o'Clock at Noon.
John Smith, late of No. 42, Oxford-street, Birmingham, in
the county of Warwick, part of the time out of business,
and part of the time carrying on business at the Bordeslystreet.
Wharf, Birmingham aforesaid, a Coal Merchant,
previously of No. 86, Rea-street, theretofore of Chapelhouse-
street, both iu Birmingham aforesaid, carrying on
business as a Coal Merchant, at Bordesly-street, Wharf,
aforesaid, theretofore of the Navigation Inn, Oxford-street
aforesaid. Retail Brewer, and carrying on business at
Bordesly-street, Wharf as aforesaid, as a Coal Merchant,
previously of the Moseley- road, carrying on business at
the Railway Station, at Camp-hill, both in Birmingham
aforesaid, as a Coal Merchant, and being a Contractor for
the conveyance of grain, theretofore of No. 20, Snow-hill,
in Birmingham aforesaid, Green Grocer, theretofore of
Oxford-street aforesaid, previously of Warner-street, both
in Birmingham aforesaid, carrying on business as a Coal
Merchant, at Bordesly-street, Wharf as aforesaid, and
being a Contractor for the conveyance of grain, and formerly
lodging at the Navigation Inn, in Oxford-street
aforesaid, carrying on business at Camp-hill aforesaid, as
a Contractor for the conveyance of grain.
William Wadhams, late of Cpleshill-street, in the Royal
Town of Button Coldfield, in the county of Warwick,
Farmer, his Wife keeping a Ladies Boarding School, at
the same place, and formerly of the Warren House Farm,
Sutton Coldfield aforesaid, Farmer as aforesaid.
Thomas Capas, late and for three months last past residing
in longings at the house of one George Crutchley, Butcher,
of Bromsgrove-street, Birmingham, in the county of Warwick,
and during such time carrying on the business of a
Builder, previously thereto and for about nine months
residing at the Cup, in Bradford-street, Birmingham aforesaid,
and during suchresidencebeingaLicensed Victualler,
and Builder* before then and for about eight months residing
in llavenhurst-street, Birmingham aforesaid, and
during such residence carrying on the trade of a Builder,
previously thereto and for about two years residing at the
Woodman, Pershore-road, Birmingham aforesaid, and
during such residence being a Builder, and Licensed Victualler,
before then and for about six months residing in
Great Colmore-street, Birmingham aforesaid, and carrying
on the business of a Builder, and formerly and for six
months residing in the Plough and Harrow-road, Birmingham
aforesaid, also a Builder.

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 11.12.2012 | Top

#94 by SusanC , Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 am

Please Phil ..... by all means stick your nose, foot, hand, pint of ale, anything you think might help with this nightmare project. Soooo many George's, Henry's and Joseph's around the same time and same place. I'm pulling my hair out. And I thought the name Crutchley would be easy since it is so uncommon here in the US. Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#95 by SusanC , Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 am

WOW Lyn .... Does that article mean those people went before a court or some type of government entity?
I wonder if George had several outbranches of his shop .... or there were more George Crutchley's that were butchers. I'm still a little confused as to answering a post and when I replied to Phil it put my post out in left field ..... sorry .... I'll get the hang of it. You will never know how much I appreciate everyone's efforts and time spent on my behalf. Kindest Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#96 by SusanC , Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:31 am

WOW Lyn .... Does that article mean those people went before a court or some type of government entity?
I wonder if George had several outbranches of his shop .... or there were more George Crutchley's that were butchers. I'm still a little confused as to answering a post and when I replied to Phil it put my post out in left field ..... sorry .... I'll get the hang of it. You will never know how much I appreciate everyone's efforts and time spent on my behalf. Kindest Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#97 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 am

The 1863 Slaters Directory gives George Crutchley butcher at 85 Coleshill St, but it also gives Henry Crutchley butcher at 181 Ashted Row which is only a short walk down the road.

phil

#98 by SusanC , Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 am

Phil ... Yes and in my census research I find a George Crutchley same time frame, age and occupation living with a Henry and a Joseph. I do know that my George had a brother Joseph that llived with him and at the Coleshill address when George wasn't living there Joseph still resided there. For a brief time George's son Henry Herbert Crutchley lived at the Coleshill address and was also a butcher. I have found a Catherine Crutchley at 183 Ashted Row for several censi that was a Tripe Dealer. One census had a son George also a butcher living with her. I think I need to take a breather because at this point " I can't see the trees because of the forest" if you know what I mean ... [An old US saying] .. I did take another approach and dig deeper into Joseph Crutchley who died 27 Jun 1908.

"CRUTCHLEY Joseph of 179 Ashted-row Birmingham butcher died 27 June 1908 Probate Birmingham 17 July to Minnie Heybeard (wife of James Gibbons Heybeard). Effects L213 4s 6d.

" The 181 Asted Row address seems to be a common thread. The Henry at this address was born about 1826. My George was born about 1829. Minnie [in Joseph's will] was a daughter of Henry & Hannah Crutchley. This Henry also had a son Charles who was a Cattle Dealer. They were at 181 Ashted Row till at least the 1881 census. I was hoping that I could find an obituary for one of these people that might list surviving relatives.

Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#99 by SusanC , Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:33 am

Phil ... There was a newspaper article dated 24 May 1888 that mentioned a "G Crutchley" involved in a retirement ceremony of the Church Warden at the Bishop Ryder Church. (24.5.88). The article was posted to the thread by mikejee on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm. I have a gut feeling since he was so active and that church was so close and several of his young children by wife Sarah Sophia Lee Crutchley might be buried there. I'm going to start digging to see if there is an obit for Sophia or any of the children. Susan

SusanC  
SusanC

#100 by astoness , Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Quote: SusanC wrote in post #95

hi susan it looks to me that it was thomas capas who had to attend court...i wonder if mike maybe able to fathom out what for as i dont understand these legal words...was thomas capas george crutchleys father in law...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#101 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Susan

The funeral services may have been held at Bishop Ryders but I don't think the church had a graveyard of it's own. I suppose whoever holds the records for the church would be the place to enquire. Have you seen this site that lists the marriages?

http://warwickshireinfo.webspace.virginm...ages_a_to_i.htm

phil

#102 by lynne webb , Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm

Susan on the 1861 Census Joseph b abt.1837 is living with Henry b 1827 and is down as brother, these must be brothers of George. I felt all along that there was a connection with Henry. We have located Henrys grave, some of his family are with him, but George is not in the same cemetery.
Lynne

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#103 by mikejee , Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Lyn
Where did you find that snippet about the court case with thomas capas etc. I assumed you meant the birmingham gazette, but can't find it in there, nor in the london gazette

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#104 by SusanC , Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:16 am

Hi this is for everybody .... I will gather together and then gleen thru all of my research that lists specific details.

George Crutchley's first wife was Eliza Capas. She was a daughter of Thomas Capas & Sarah Gardner and was born in Emscote. He was a builder employing several men. I have attached the info I have on her baptism.

Regards, Susan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of "St. Nicholas Warwick"
in the County of "Warwick" in the Year 1836

When Baptized: 10 July 1836
Child's Christian Name: Eliza Capas
Parents Name: Thomas & Sarah Capas
Abode: Emscote
Quality, Trade or Profession: Carpenter
By whom Ceremony performed: ..?.. Hope, Curat?
No. 80.

Source Citation: Warwickshire County Record Office;
Warwick, England;
Warwickshire Anglican Registers;
Roll: Engl/2/1064;
Document Reference: DR 181.

SusanC  
SusanC

#105 by astoness , Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 am

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #103
Lyn
Where did you find that snippet about the court case with thomas capas etc. I assumed you meant the birmingham gazette, but can't find it in there, nor in the london gazette

hi mike i just googled..george crutchley birmingham butcher and up it came..first link on the page and yes from the gazette

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor