Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Genealogy Enquiries

#91 by astoness , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 am

just had a look on ancestry and i see you dont get accesse to the 1911 for £12 per month...mind you i may have read it wrong...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#92 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hi Lynn

in 1851 i have a charles 72 with sophia (but she is saying she was born in glos on this census) living again st pauls st. cheltenham, so must be same as 1861. charles however's occupation is clerk weighing mechanic, so whether he was just doing a job for money not sure, but certainly a retired farmer in 1861.

1841, cant find charles (hey ho, whats new) i m sure there must be a big holding pen for ancestors to go and hide on census night because i cant find some of mine, lol.

1841 sophia on her own with john and james both 15 born in 1826 in cheltenham
elizabeth 1829 and sarah 1831. no mention of chares jnr who should have been about 6/7/8/ i have found one aged 7 living with a john holder and his wife in british cleeve, a farmer, john was born in bc in 1777. im wondering if this john is a brother to your charles and is looking after his nephew.. there is not much info on the 1841 census. it lists john and phoebe and some children going down to age 6 and then at the bottom charles aged 7, could have just missed him off and put on as afterthought - but you would not do that you know all your kids and list them parrot fashion. - just a thought.

dont know where young john is in 1841. did you see the bit about martha's hone's parents - edward and elizabeth.

i see you live down south, well i dont live far from the cotswolds so will try and get down to b c, not far and see what i can find out in the grave yard. my dog used to love sniffing around grave yards, lol.

cant find a marriage for sophia and charles tho and dont know if the above children are his.

have a good day all

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#93 by astoness , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 am

Posted by mollymandysb
Hi to all

yes astoness it is only £12 a month and you can cancel at the end of every month. it is cheaper in the long run tho to do a full year, but we never intend to spend that much time on there do we!! ancestry, findmypast all have free trial periods of fourteen days so well worth doing and hitting it constantly for the fourteen days. findmypast have the 1911 census and you can search addresess as well as people. after the free sess tho you have to pay for a min of six months. genesreunited are a min of six months as well (not very happy with them, find it diff to get info) not sure what other sites are like there are so many.

free ones are rootschat which is a forum but you get a lot of help. curiosefox is another quite good one.
steph

thanks for that info steph...my subs with genes have not long run out but you can get a months subs and that includes the 1911..cost £19.95..im trying to decide who to go with now but i do need the 1911..pay as you go in no good as i would use up all the credits in one day[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#94 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:28 am

Hi astoness

you do get access for £12 but it is not the full only the summary sheets and i v never been able to work them out. findmypast gives you address and person search on all census, genesreunited only person search but both find and genes gives you the full 1911 census.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#95 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:32 am

Hi astoness

i m on genesreunited until end of december so anything you want let me know and ill try for you. how did you find genes, i dont always find they have all the info and a lot of transcript errors i hate the message ' no records found' and you know they have to be there.

genes never offered me a monthly subscription. doyou buy the family history magazines they have lots of diff sites to subscribe to. but to be honest if you are trying to decide which sites to use and not used findmypast or ancestry before use their fourteen day free trial. well worth it. s & N geanology has afree trial i think.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#96 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:41 am

Thanks Steph, you sure give me a lot to think about, Must not stay on here all day again, if I do a few odd jobs first then I'll feel better.!

Lyn, Have noted the site you put on. Was thinking of you recently as I was passing Amberley Chalk Pits Museum on my way to Chichester to see my son. A friend is a volunteer there. There was a Victorian evening on and he met me at the gate on the way back and had me got in. - Even better, when I got his tea/dinner for him, it was good - he gets his food for half price. He does a lot of work there so I don't feel quilty. Hope all's well.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#97 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Steph,

When you say sophia born 1794 hintley mom - what do you mean by this - I can't find a hintley on map, as a place.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#98 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Lynn

neither can i find hintley, monmouthshire on a present day map. but she did say in another census that she was born in gloucestershire.

will try and find out if there was a hintley, monmouthshire, wales in those days.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#99 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:51 am

I know what you mean about getting a few jobs done, i have a stack of ironing to do. hd a quiet week this week, needed it, i usually have my 15mnth old grandson on a tuesday all day and i am so knackered. the week before i went swimming with him and his mom and dad (my son) then shopping, then had him as usual on the tuesday, then again on the thursday (my daughter in law is pregnant again and having to go to various appointments) looked after him friday morning whilst she had her hair cut. then grabbed a quick sarny and went with my partner (of 24 yrs but we dont live together, i m not that mad this time) to his diabetic clinic with him. saturday morning i rushed to the chemist first thing to collect his prescription and then went out with the kids to a donkey sanctuary and hopefully for lunch but we ended back at mine with fish and chips. i was actually physically shattered and slept most of last sunday.

am wondering if martha died giving birth to charles. not sure how to find out parish records that tell you who the parents were. have searched glos parish records but nothing come up for a christening or baptism of charles holder jnr. can see a marriage between chas. holder and martha hone.

will keep at it

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#100 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Lynn

i v been a very very good girl, iv done a pile of ironing.

right here s some more information

sophia could have been born in huntley which is in glos, perhaps sometimes in monmouthshire.

there is a wedding between charles holder 40 and sophia long 25 on 24 july 1920 in bishops cleeve. looks as if charles re married, they had

according to 1841 census john and james 15 born 1826 eizabeth 1829 sarah 1831, dont know if they had any before that.

there is also a death for chares holder 29 in 1843 in deerhurst section of tewkesbury district which would have put is birth app 1813. he is buried in bishop cleeve, so possibility him.

have some links on gloucester archives web site that gives notes from the vicar on things that happened in b c not actual parish records. will have to check it out on roots again. check rootschat, you will see quite a bit of info there under holders of b c

hope this helps, i love solving mysteries.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#101 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Steph,
How on earth do I look up Bishops Cleeve on Roots Chat -- Do I have to be joined.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#102 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Lynn

hope iv not stole your thunder, but its a start for you.

www.rootschat. just register its free, click on england then go to gloucestershire and you should see my thread on the holders (there are two threads) got over zealous and did new topic rather than reply. its a bit like this forum but covers the country etc.

addresses on there for parish notes etc. going to leave that to you to check out. if you find addresses etc and burials i can go over to bishops cleeve and photograph them for you. not a problem.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

#103 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Steph,
I've seen the name Long attached to somewere but can't remember where.
Now this Charles 40 - sophia long 25 married in 1920 couldn't be Charles Senior as he died 1866.

Wish I lived a lot closer to go around these places but I have an elderly cat that I won't leave overnight, as I was away when his brother took ill a few years ago. I'd been at a family wedding up in Market Harborough and had stopped off for a night to visit in the Dudley Archives and I was - well, not here for him, so will be making sure that that doesn't happen again with the one that I have now, so when I go North now, I drive to Swindon and someone else takes over the driving from there and I just make a very full day of it.

Thanks for all this again, but I certainly don't seem to be able to get on to Bishops Cleeve on Roots Chat.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#104 by Stirling Single , Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Steph, Give me 2secs, am going to try now, Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#105 by mollymandysb , Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Lynn

did i say 1920, whoops, should have said 1820.

you wont be able to get directly on to b c on roots chat, but on my thread there is a web site that some one has given to me so you can get minutes of parish meetings and vicars notes, so i understood it.

I do understand about the cat. i lost my dog last year and have not got over it really. the one i had before died in the vets on his own, so the next time i was adamant that i was going to have him at home etc etc. but he developed a bad heart (I still blame myself for all the walking we used to do) i would not go any where and leave him. then he developed pancreatitis at 1 in the morning, i stayed with him but then the vet said you ve got to let him go (but the emergency vet had said they could put him on a drip for 36 hrs). i made the decision, the dog stiffened when the needle went in and then he squirmed and howled, i had to hold his nose, it was awful, he did not want to go and i still shudder over it.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor