Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#61 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 am

Mike,
No, If you have quoted all the rest there is no need to post them but I will take note, just for reference sake of where you found them all. It's just that I like to have a record to keep with the articles of were they were found.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#62 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 pm

Lyn

I didn't realise until today when I was reading Birmingham Breweries by Joseph McKenna that the old Vale of Evesham Brewery in Cato St North Saltley was for a while the City Brewery owned by John Charles Holder. I worked in that building around 1963 when it was no longer a brewery. The building must be listed as it is still standing today, but for how long who can say the more recent photo shows how it looked in 2008 when I took a photo of it. It is being given the care that Birmingham usually lavishes on its listed buildings.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#63 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 am

Phil,
Have just brought my notes up to date on this. More than appreciate the photographs past and present and info that you have given me.
Just trying to sort out these dates of when and where they moved from each location.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#64 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Lynn

I haven't seen you on site for a while, but I thought you might like to have this rare photo of Holder's Dog & Pheasant in Fisher St c1900.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#65 by mikejee , Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:10 pm

That is a new one on me Phil. Only thing is, McKenna (vol 2) says the licence was surrendered in the improvement scheme of 1883. McKenna is not always correct - I have found mention of several pubs in directories after they are supposed to have been closed, but also, the Dog & Pheasant seems to be on the corner of Staniforth St . at the end of fisher St, and this doesn't look ;like the position on the photo. The Hope & anchor is also in fisher st, and this closed in 1939. this was also on a corner , of Moland St and it could be this. That was also a Holders House apparently

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 10.03.2011 | Top

#66 by mikejee , Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Must just correct that. The Hope & Anchor is on the wrong side of the junction for it to be that.If it hadn't gone in 1883 and you were looking up Staniforth st with the end of Fisher st on the right, it could be the Dog & Pheasant though. So I would guess either the date or McKenna is wrong.
Map shows Dog & Pheasant position in red, hope & Anchor in blue.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#67 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 am

Mike

I will admit to knowing nothing about the pub at all, I have had the photo for quite a while and it was among some that I was cropping tagging and tidying up in general yesterday. All I know is what was on the photo. This is the uncropped photo.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#68 by Stirling Single , Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Phil for the photo and Mike for the input with your views. I've taken note and wondered Phil if you have the picture with more of the writing on it or do you know if it came from a paper, magazine or something like that.
Fantastic old picture.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#69 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Lynn

I will try to backtrack it for you, but don't hold out too much hope. I found it on a file of untagged photos on my computer but there is something familiar about it so I will take another look, give me some time and I will come back to you.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#70 by Stirling Single , Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Phil,
No I haven't gone away - it's that I've been spending a lot of time more on the family history and going backwards more to where the family came from in the 1800's etc.
Next Spring I shall look towards coming up to Birmingham Central Library again as I'm sure I'd find more to investigate there.
Have been thoroughly enjoying - The streets of the city and Alleys & passageways. Keep going with those.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#71 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Lynn

You have no obligation to come on here other than when you can spare the time. I'm of the opinion that forums should be a place of mutual enjoyment and not a place of duty or obligation.

I knew I had another photo of the Dog & Pheasant showing more of the text somewhere, here it is and its obviously from a book. I'll have a look through my books and see if I can trace which one it came from.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:23 pm | Top

#72 by Stirling Single , Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks Phil, That would be good if you can find the book but I'm just so pleased that you were able to find the full caption.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#73 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 am

Lynn

The photo is from the Images of England series of books by Tempus publishing and has the title Saltley, Duddeston & Nechells and was compiled bu Maria Twist, ISBN No 0 7524 2279 0.

It's available on Amazon from £8.86. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss...hells&x=16&y=30

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#74 by Stirling Single , Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks Phil, I have the book but had missed the picture.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#75 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:50 am

Lynn

You must be the same as me, got that many books you don't know what you have got. I didn't know that I had that photo in a book either until I started looking. I know that is not the source that I got it from even though it is obvious that it originally came from that book.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor