Mike

You are too observant for me, I've put it right. Thanks

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#33 by Stirling Single , Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Phil,

What can I say - What an amazing collection of pictures, and thanks so much for sharing them, - Have spent ages to-night looking at all these, - Good bedtime reading.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#34 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:18 am

RIP Gerry O'Donnell

Phil Your picture of the Brittannia Inn Warwick Road
The Last Landlord of the Brittannia prior to it's demolition. Gerry died just last week. His funeral is today (weds).
Gerry and Mary ran the Old and the New Brits for 25 years until he retired.

I just can't believe the coincidence, a picture of the Brit, which has been demolished for nearly forty years, appears on our forum a matter of hours before it's last licensee is laid to rest in Widney Manor Cemetary. SB

The Sampson and Lion, Yardley Green Road, (not Bordesley Green) is now closed as a pub and is owned by an Islamic Foundation.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.22.2011 | Top

#35 by astoness , Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:04 am

Well done Phil I knew you would come up trumps for Lynn with some pics I shall go through my files and see if I have any that you don't.....I noticed that the Acorn, Wheeler St is on the list of Holders pubs...now that one means a lot to me as I've a pic of my dad sitting in that pub in 1958...Lynn the reason for the picture, which was a newpaper, article is because the Acorn was once a morgue...the passage way of the pub was so long that the front entrance to the pub was in Wheeler St and the back entrance was in the next street up..Wilton St...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.22.2011 | Top

#36 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:42 am

Mike,

May I go back to were you said that you had two addresses for Henry Holder - You gave me the two addresses but I was wonder would you kind enough to let me know what you looked up to find the two addresses.

Thanking you for all again, Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#37 by mikejee , Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Lynn
Both came from Worcestershire directories. The 1879 one (via http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/d.asp ) from Littlebury's Directory & Gazetteer of Worcester & District, 1879, and the 1870 via ancestry from the 1870 Kellys directory

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#38 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks Mike, I want to try and see what other family would have been living in the same house, with whatever dates the Website may give me. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#39 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi Lynn

This article comes from a monthly Birmingham magazine by the name of "Birmingham Places & Faces". This magazine was only in print from 1888 until 1892. This article was printed in the December 1890 issue. I hope you can read it OK if not let me know and I will see if I can get a better reproduction.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#40 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi Phil,

Birmingham Faces and Places, I had seen the Volumes on eBay but they were far too expensive to buy - between £40 & £50 so I had never been able to see what was in them, so it's great to get this from you.

I did manage to buy Old and New Birmingham Volumes 1 & 11 at a good price, so was pleased about that.

Phil, if you were able to get me clearer copies, good, but I shouldn't worry too much as these are very readable - just a little blurred in the print. You have my eMail address as Graham has it, if they would come up clearer on eMail.

I can't read the writing under his name on the photograph or the small writing underneath the circle. - That would be nice to know.

Phil, With Old and New Birmingham do you know! - How many Volumes are there all to-gether.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#41 by mikejee , Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:35 am

Hope these are better

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#42 by Stirling Single , Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:34 am

Mike,

I find this extremely interesting to read and how privilidged they were to have such a good water supply, for all the things that they needed to use it for.

Mike, Which 'Concert Hall' replaced the George Hotel.

Is this from ? Birmingham Faces and Places.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#43 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:57 am

Mike

Did you get the articles mixed up as this is the one from the "where is this" thread. I've had a try and because I am using the snipping tool on a CD I am unable to make them any clearer. Do you think you could have a go at these three for Lynn.

Lynn

I think the George Hotel that was mentioned would have been the forerunner of the Royal George on the corner of Park St and Digbeth. The Concert Hall Would have been the London Museum Music Hall which later became the Canterbury Music Hall and much later still The Bull Ring Cinema, In this early photo of the Royal George the music hall can be seen next door. There is a separate photo of the music hall also. As far as I am aware the building is still standing today.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#44 by mikejee , Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:33 am

Sorry Phil. must be because it was late at night!. See if these are better. these are using the snipping tool, but it is after transferring the CD onto my secondary hard drive, so don;t know if that makes a difference.
Mike

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#45 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:06 am

Mike

Now thats a good idea, why didn't I think of that. I'll transfer the cd on to one of my external drives. That will be much better than having to search for the CD every time I want to consult it. Did you manage to make out what the wording is on the bottom of the photo image for Lynn?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor