Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: What Things Have Changed For The Better

#16 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Mike

Strangely enough the only coffee I ever drank in my teens besides espresso was Camp. Well I say coffee because I suppose there was some in there somewhere. I used to take a bottle to work with me for the lunch breaks because those tea urns dispensed half a cup of tea leaves per cup.

I suppose if I tried to drink a cup of Camp coffee today it would make me feel ill as it was sweetened and I haven't touched sugar for forty years.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#17 by PJ , Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:38 pm

Spectacles, I've had to wear them since I was 14, Then they used to cost a bomb, you would have to wait, (if the lenses weren't standard), 3 weeks plus and have a choice of frames that made you look anything from Arthur Askey to one of the Vernon girls, and if they gave you head aches, again the reply was "oh you'll get used to them, give them a chance".
Specsavers, modern lightwieght frames, scratch resistant light changing lenses' one weeks delivery and a absolutely no quibble guarantee, and all with the over 60's 30% off the price.
Bostin.

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

#18 by Deleted User , Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 pm

My friends mum used to give us camp coffee.YUK YUK YUK.

As we had never heard of coffee in our house I used to think it was worth the YUK factor as it was something more upmarket.WHAT PLANET WAS I ON. LOL

Love Coffee,used to grind my own beans but can't be bothered with that now.

I am a real tea belly and we like Twinnings English breakfast.

Remember mum buying Brook Bond..............I had the picture card and the stamps and was allowed to cash it.Good old mum.

#19 by Deleted User , Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:05 am

Agree about the specs.Was born with a lazy eye and had it operated on at the childrens hospital.Mum was always having to take me there.They used to put drops in and then had to wear a patch.Could not see anything for hours after and was the ugliest kid on the block with the awful specs on offer.

When I look back at old pics of specs I used to to wear I think to myself how could I have worn those??Slave to fashion. LOL

Specs have never been better.

#20 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 am

As I remember from the bottle, didn't Camp Coffe have Chickory Essence in it. I don't know what difference it would have made but it rings a bell. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#21 by mikejee , Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I think it was all chicory essence, and no coffee at all. It became "popular" in the war when coffee was unobtainable. I think it was made by roasting chicory roots and then extracting them. iu gather you can still get it today , God knows who who would want it
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Denise

I had a lazy eye and a pronounced cast in one eye as a child. Because of the glasses on offer to kids then I would never wear glasses no matter how much they tried to get me to. I was supposed to have the operation and I wouldn't have that either.

Eventually my eye straightened itself, but my sight never improved in that eye. I never wore glasses until I was about 40 and that is why today the sight in my one eye is negligible. If I was to loose my good eye then I have been told I would qualify as blind.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#23 by Deleted User , Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:30 pm

I am the same Phil,it only made a cosmetic difference I am afraid.

Last edited Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm | Top

#24 by PJ , Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Mens underpants,
I don't wont to admit that I used to wear the side tying slips that you could rent for a halfpenny from the swimming baths, but SB told me when I joined the forum to "Speak your mind, Let it all out" so I will. Leaving the baggy flappy (where is it!) trunks behind, and I got into new regular underpants, or Y fronts. They were a snug fit till they relaxed after the 30 seconds and then the gusset made a bee-line for your, safe deposit box, by the end of the day and needing to take a leek you didn't know what you'd be pulling out, or which might come first, and then. And then!, Kelvin Klein, the tight fitting trunk leg type I didn't buy them, the misses did, honest, WOW, I caught sight of myself in the dressing room mirror, what a change for the better, comfortable, they never sag, they hold it all in like it could still be working order. Its such a pity that NOW the rest of me looks like a Witchetty Grub
PJ

PJ  
PJ

#25 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:49 pm

PJ That was Brilliant, I nearly choked on my Fruit cake.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#26 by Deleted User , Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 am

LOL at PJ

#27 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:17 pm

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't let me wife view these pages. I think that she would swoon away at the thought of mens nether garments being discussed in public like this. Where are the censors with their blue pencils. Can I appeal for a little more decorum.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#28 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Phil just be glad it was text, not images.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#29 by PJ , Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Phil,
Your not still wearing them Y fronts.
PJ.

PJ  
PJ

#30 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 pm

PJ

I used to go Commando when I was on the road it wasn't always possible to wash your smalls. I haven't quite reached the Long John stage yet but there have been times when I wore them and tights. It's boxers now though and the dogs not too happy about it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Known Universe

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor