Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

What Things Have Changed For The Better

#1 by PJ , Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I was saying to Paul that when young we used to bike it down to Alvechurch and Hopwood to fish the canals there, because the canals in Birmingham had everything but fish in them, but now the water is clean and full of fish, not just little ones newly restocked, but large Carp, Golden Orf, Bream, Roach, and others, so there's a positive. What Things Have Changed For The Better....for you.
PJ

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

Last edited 01.06.2010 | Top

RE: What Things Have Changed For The Better

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 pm

PJ

I think many things have changed for the better, yes we have a cleaner environment and we are at least trying to treat our planet better. Yes a lot of diseases have been conquered and eradicated and on the whole our general health is much better. Working conditions and practises have improved and we have a minimum wage. Men and women are all treated as equals and there is no child labour. We have a social system that is the envy of the world. Everyone is cared for and looked after except for the few that slip through the net.

But even with all this things are still far from perfect, There is still a threat of nuclear holocaust, there are still wars raging all over the planet, terrorism is rife and its not safe to walk on the street for fear of being mugged and we have to think twice about going shopping for fear of terrorist attack. I'm afraid that the powers that be will have to address these matters and more before I agree that anything has changed for the better.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by PJ , Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:26 pm

On a personal level I think shoe technology has made a quantum leap. Many of the folks and most of the kids (Daily Mail boots aside) where I lived got their shoes from Mrs Nashes, a secondhand shop in Clement St, off The Parade. You would walk in with couple of pennies, she would look at your feet from over the counter and throw a pair of shoes at you, "try them for size" if they were tight or hard she would say "they'll give with ware" sometimes you would hobble home knowing much of how the previous owner walked.
New shoes were worse, anything other than pumps were hard as iron, you would look down to your new shoes with an exceptance of the pain blisters and battle that was to take place, I didn't know wether you broke the shoes in, or the shoes reformed your feet, looking at my toes my winkle pickers won.
Now, paying average prices for whatever shoe's or trainers you pick, they fit like someone else has broken them in for you, instant comfort, no sore spots or blisters, they feel like the cobbler has copied your most comfortabe shoes while you slept.
Fantastic, the appliance of science has my vote.

PJ  
PJ

#4 by Deleted User , Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Cars..........My Honda crv is delicious,room for me ,the dogs,jim,all our junk........

#5 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 pm

denise, not sure jim should be between the Dogs and the junk.

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#6 by Deleted User , Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Pictures from NASA........who would have thought it

http://dingo.care2.com/cards/flash/5409/galaxy.swf

#7 by PJ , Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Denise, That was a nice surprise, Incredible photo's, its mind boggling what is going on around us, I get this picture in my mind of my head fast asleep on the pillow and all these fantastic happenings going on in outer space, and I'm asleep, this universe surely is the cradle of life, stars being born out of the death of old stars and who knows what else, It helps to put our hopes and our dreams into perspective if we achieve them we must be blessed or maybe very lucky

PJ  
PJ

#8 by Deleted User , Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes as the song says that it is a miracle that little insignificant us are born at all and we are a part of it all if only for a short time.

These photographs are wonderful and yet we know nothing,we are at the dawn of discovery about all this and sad we will never get to know all the stuff that our species surely must find out in later years.

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

What I can't get my head around is, If the universe by definition "all that is" expands every day. Where is it expanding to?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by PJ , Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Denise, you nearly brought a tear to my eye.
Yes we're right here at the beginning what untold treasures await them to come.

PJ  
PJ

#11 by PJ , Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi, Phil.
I wont pretend that I know much about the BIG BANG but the boffins say that the universe is expanding into the void of limitless space. One school believe that when the momentum generated from the blast is spent, the universe will begin to retract or fall back. The other school say that they have proof that the universe will keep expanding forever, that means a time will come when there will be no stars in the night sky. The stars and planets will have traveled so far apart from each other. Either way we wont have to worry about it.
One niggling thought is "The Boffins" also say that if you travel in a straight line in space eventually you will return to where you started from, which sort of contradicts the idea of a limitless void, or does it?.

PJ  
PJ

#12 by Deleted User , Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 pm

I will just have a cup of tea then sure I can sort it all out LOL

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Denise

Thats another thing, before the introduction of tea bags I never drank tea. If I as much as got a tea leaf in my mouth I felt sick. But tea bags ended all that.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 pm

I have never drunk Tea in my life Phil. I have always been a coffe drinker. Until Maxwell House turned up we used to have the messy sticky bottles of Camp Coffee.

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#15 by mikejee , Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:28 pm

It was the experience of Camp coffee that put me off coffee for many years, and even now i prefer tea, especially if the option is "Mellow birds" or one of the rather nastier own labels. I can't believe that people bought Camp. Yet Pattison (I think that was his name) made a fortune from it.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
The Known Universe

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor