Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#601 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:53 am

Morning Lyn,
I'm finally back in the land of the living after spending nearly a week on some signwork.
How's things with you lately.

signman

#602 by astoness , Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 am

morning john...i thought you had been quiet of late...things steady here thanks..doing a few jobs round the house at the min...cant wait for the better weather though like i can out a bit more and visit a few places on me hit list for this year...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#603 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 am

My thoughts exactly Lyn, what's on your hit list then.
I have Portsmouth, Hay-on Wye (book capital of the world),Conningsby, and lots of places in Brum.

signman

#604 by astoness , Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 am

i like portsmouth john..well to name a few i want to go to the black country museum again as things have been added since my last visit...warwick castle including the tour down the dungeons....overnight stay in stratford...may have a trip to brighton and spoil yer weekend[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#605 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 am

Morning all,

Somewhere I have never been although I have been up north several times is John O Groats. I know there is not a great deal to see there but I would like to be able to say I had been there. Though I love driving on some of Scotland's lonely roads the sheer distance has always put me off. I might give it a try this year, I'll see how it goes.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#606 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

Morning Phil,
John' 0' Groats is on streetview.
Not much there but still a nice place, but not worth a trip alone.
One of the finest drives I've ever done was from Glasgow to Fort william, spectacular, but nowadays an absolute fortune just to get up there in petrol cost alone, plus time to take it easy on the way up,with maybe an overnight stop halfway.

signman

#607 by astoness , Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:12 am

morning phil...as you know i lived not many miles from john o groats...if you can make it this year you wont be dissapointed...its a fair old step thats for sure.i came down to brum for a visit once via train and although there was only one change at edinburgh it took me a good 12 hours to get to brum....my advise would be travel half the distance and do an overnight stop then continue the next day....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#608 by Deleted User , Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:30 am

Well it seems I am not babysitting today as he feels much better and wanted to go to school.

Hay on Wye is fab,we rented a cottage there for a week and loved it.We have been a few times.When they have the festival on is a good time to go but you need to book somewhere to stay early on.

When we had the cottage we had odd vistors in the night.BATS.They were wonderful,they come out every night at dusk,you could have set your watch by them.

One night Jim found a baby one who somehow had got trapped in the waste paper bin in the bathroom.We put him on the window ledge outside and after a short time he was away.

No mention of them had been made when we booked the cottage but we should have suspected something when we saw the door knocker was in the shape of a bat.

I got up once in the middle of the night and there were hundreds of them flying around outside.................amazing view and a week I will never forget.

They have a set run,normally to water and many bats have been doing the same run for several years.

Had several lock ins at Hay.....a local farmer took a fancy to me and kept buying me brandy but Jim got a bit fed up with him so we had to stop going.

See I could maybe have been a Farmer's wife but did not fancy it really LOL

#609 by astoness , Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 am

morning den..how wonderful seeing all those bats and well done for saving the baby one...ahh i used to love the lock ins back in the day..trouble was once in i couldnt get out[Little LOL] and being a farmers wife means getting up very early....something you managed to avoid...well im off now to do a few things....talk later on all....have a nice day...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#610 by mikejee , Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am

Lyn
Misread your earlier post at first as "warwick castle including the tour down the dungeons....overnight stay in " Might have been interesting
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#611 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

John & Lyn

Having drove to Dundee a couple of times I can well understand how fat John O Groats is. It must be as far again, still I could always spend some time in Dundee with relations. Although relations are getting a bit thin on the ground there as my Aunt & Uncle are now gone, but I still have a couple of Cousins of around my age. As I said its just as I said earlier I would like to be able to say I have been.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#612 by berniew , Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Posted by astoness
i like portsmouth john..well to name a few i want to go to the black country museum again as things have been added since my last visit...warwick castle including the tour down the dungeons....overnight stay in stratford...may have a trip to brighton and spoil yer weekend[Laugh Out Loud]

I'm sure SB said he had a dungeon Lyn complete with stocks

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#613 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Posted by berniew

Posted by astoness

I'm sure SB said he had a dungeon Lyn complete with stocks

Excuse me. good afternoon Bernie.....I think

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#614 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Yes Lyn

You have to watch these guillotine operators, after a while they begin to take the job literally and begin to think that it is not only paper they should be chopping.

PHIL

Make Love, Not War

phil

#615 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Give a dog a bad name.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor