Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: GOOD MORNING BIRMINGHAM.

#5206 by mikejee , Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Have just had an irritating conversation with one of those "charities" that are always coming round. On saturday at 8.50, when it was already dusk and i had to turn on my porch light to see the person, the bell rang. It was someone form "People's action" (who I've never heard of, a fact which got great expressions of amazement on the face of the young man there). He wanted to come in and "discuss things" - and I sent him off pretty quick. However I was concerned at someone coming round at that time, when it was dark (if i had been out my 96 year old mother would have been alone in the house), so this morning i rang the head office. I suspect that other people had rung, as immediately i started expaining the women said "Oh, you've had someone call ahev you, I'll put you through to ..". I explained my concerns (I think reasonably politely), but merly got an offhand reply that she understood my concerns, but this was all done by an outside agency, but she would pass on my comments !!.
"Charities" have really just become a business to some people, where they , or their "agencies" can make money and a career, and live as parasites off those who support them
There I've had my rant for today !

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5207 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Mike I could say that I never give cash to charity, but that wouldn't be true. What I mean is I never give cash at the door to charity collectors or those television appeals. As you say if collection is farmed out to agencies, then what percentage of your donation reaches the charity.

I give generously to tin rattlers, but only to certain ones, others we will just walk past. We donate animal food outside supermarkets to those people who collect for rescue centres. We used to donate Christmas goodies every year directly to the local orphanage (never cash). We get directly involved with certain charities like the one we have just seen come to a conclusion resulting in a young man being given permission to stay in this country who was facing certain death if he returned to his own country.

I am very wary of charities because I believe they only get a fraction of the money donated. I regularly read the published audited accounts of the larger charities and am appalled at the wages and expenses that are claimed. i even read one account of a charity function attended by a minor royal. It was a meal and they did quite well with the receipts taken for seats even after paying for room hire staff and the meal I think they made in excess of £5000. The royal graciously didn't charge a fee, but her expenses had to be covered which in the end left the charity with something like £50.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5208 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:56 pm

My reaction, just slam the door in their face, you lot are too nice, end of story.

signman

#5209 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm

John

I save that reaction for the God Botherers we gets loads round by us. my silly wife lets them engage her in conversation. So I just march up to the door and tell them that we are not interested. That of course never works, so it usually takes a few choice words and the door being slammed to end the conversation.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5210 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:47 am

Morning all,
Still raining after a night of heavy rain.
Just had an e-mail from National Express to say that all half price fares will end in October,pity I used them a lot to go to London and back for £8.50.

signman

#5211 by Sheldonboy , Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:14 am

Goodmorning John and everyone. Shame about the coach fares they were a good deal.
I know what you mean about Godbotherers Phil, the JW's pestered my mom when she was dying of cancer. My neighbour literally stopped me choking one. Ihad him off the floor by his throat. I hate them with a passion and a vengance. I always tell them the story before I tell them to ..................

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5212 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:29 am

You and me both SB, I can't stand bible bashers of any kind, keep your views to yourselves ,don't try and force them on others.

signman

#5213 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:44 am

Denise and anyone else who is interested I have put the photos I took Sunday in the gallery under EMBASSY COURT,I know it's not Brum, but thought I'd share my love of this iconic building.

signman

#5214 by Sheldonboy , Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 am

John and everyone else, items posted on our great little forum don't have to be about Brum. As long as it's of interest everyones posts are always welcome. Without a lot of these posts most of us would miss a great deal, keep em coming. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5215 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 am

John

What a fantastic building, and what fantastic views. Were they really going to demolish it, I suppose they would have replaced with concrete & glass boxes stacked up on top of each other.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5216 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:01 am

Phil, I agree, here's the link to the website, entire history etc.
http://www.embassycourt.org.uk/

signman

#5217 by Frothy , Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:23 am

Posted by signman
Phil, I agree, here's the link to the website, entire history etc.
http://www.embassycourt.org.uk/

That is a beautiful building. I've never been to Brighton. Would worth going just to see it.

http://frothblowers.co.uk/

Frothy
Date registered 07.15.2010

#5218 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:02 am

This is what I wanted to do with the door.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#5219 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 am

John

The website looks very interesting I just had a quick look and felt myself being drawn in, so I have dragged myself away but will return when I can spare the time that it deserves.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5220 by astoness , Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Posted by mikejee
Have just had an irritating conversation with one of those "charities" that are always coming round. On saturday at 8.50, when it was already dusk and i had to turn on my porch light to see the person, the bell rang. It was someone form "People's action" (who I've never heard of, a fact which got great expressions of amazement on the face of the young man there). He wanted to come in and "discuss things" - and I sent him off pretty quick. However I was concerned at someone coming round at that time, when it was dark (if i had been out my 96 year old mother would have been alone in the house), so this morning i rang the head office. I suspect that other people had rung, as immediately i started expaining the women said "Oh, you've had someone call ahev you, I'll put you through to ..". I explained my concerns (I think reasonably politely), but merly got an offhand reply that she understood my concerns, but this was all done by an outside agency, but she would pass on my comments !!.
"Charities" have really just become a business to some people, where they , or their "agencies" can make money and a career, and live as parasites off those who support them
There I've had my rant for today !

hi mike..ive recently got one of those stickers to put on my front door telling cold callers not to bother knocking...they are most irritating but more important as you have said we do not want them calling round at night time...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Open All Hours 2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor