Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#436 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Don't know what type of holiday you like Phil, but one of my favourite places is North Devon,easily accessable by M5.
Lynton and Lynmouth are great, if you've never driven through the valley of the rocks, you're in for a treat,amazing scenery.
Plenty of things to do and see at your own pace.

signman

#437 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:21 pm

John

I spent most of my youth around North Devon and loved it, I have since taken my wife there on several holidays, after we have taken the kids away we like to try somewhere we haven't been before. Which is very difficult as we have been holidaying in the UK for over 40 years.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm | Top

#438 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Phil, why not just get a map and a pin and take pot-luck with what you come up with, you might be pleasantly surprised, other than that why not try the Lake district with Ravenglas as a centre.

signman

#439 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:16 pm

John

Do you know we have never tried the Lake district for the same reason we tend to stay away from the Highlands of Scotland. My wife can't handle hilly terrain, and you can't go everywhere by car. I have tried to tell her that there has got to be flat sections but she won't hear of it. So I'm afraid another stipulation is, it has to be reasonably flat.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#440 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:41 pm

That only leaves the Fens and Lincolnshire Phil, around Kings Lynn is very nice,-Burnham Thorpe, Nelsons birthplace.

signman

#441 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:50 pm

John

Done all Lincolnshire, anyway we will be going there early in the year with the grandkids. As I say after spending the last forty years or so holidaying in the UK it gets harder to find somewhere different and as our holidays on our own are generally of the touring sort with a day or two in each town we cover a lot of ground.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#442 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Posted by mikejee
Denise
I think we are going to have to call Lyn The Catwomen. On googling this i get the following image

At least it would be cheap to take her for a meal. A bowl of Whiskas is easy enough.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#443 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Posted by phil
Morning all just got back from my morning dog walk, its a bit blustery outside but otherwise fine. Yes it's a great shame about Susannah York, she made some fine films. Anybody planning their holidays yet. I've got my first one all mapped out as usual Skegness, the grandkids wont let us go anywhere else. When we ask them where they want to go its always the same. Its the later one that the wife and I go on our own that is giving us a bit of thought this year.

Any suggestions on where a couple of pensioners can go on their own in this country and not be organised into a group would be very welcome.

Phil

I have been known to bang on about it a bit, but The Isle Of Wight is my firm favourite in this country. Loads to see and do ( or do nothing in nice surroundings if that's what you prefer).
there are plenty of pubs and eating houses. The island to me is how the rest of this country was years ago.
For a nice trip down from Brum you can go the Stratford-Oxford way, through the New Forest to Lymington, have a half hour ferry trip over to Yarmouth.
the island is only about 26 miles long so it's no problem to get anywhere.Ii do suggest for you though Phil give Ventor a miss as it's very hilly.
Years ago they used to say that Ventnor was for the Newly Weds and the Nearly deads. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#444 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:12 pm

SB

We went there just over 12 months ago, and though it rained all the time we were there we managed to do most of the island. We stopped in a hotel in Sandown which was very nice although the town was a bit quiet.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#445 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Good evening Phil
But did you like the place?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#446 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Good Evening Volty.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#447 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:30 pm

We had a bit of sport this morning. Jo and I bathed our stray cat. He fought like a damn Tiger. I only had to unhook one of his claws out of my hand once.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#448 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:59 pm

SB

I had been there before some forty years previous, but the wife had never been. I was amazed how much it had changed in what really is a very short time. We pretty well covered the whole island. Cowes, Shanklin, Ryde, Ventnor, Newport and Freshwater . Its an amazing drive along the coastal road, and we also did most of the small inland villages of interest. I think it could have been so much better if we had better weather.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#449 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Posted by phil
SB

I had been there before some forty years previous, but the wife had never been. I was amazed how much it had changed in what really is a very short time. We pretty well covered the whole island. Cowes, Shanklin, Ryde, Ventnor, Newport and Freshwater . Its an amazing drive along the coastal road, and we also did most of the small inland villages of interest. I think it could have been so much better if we had better weather.

Phil

The IOW is beautiful in nice weather Phil. Having so many places in such a small area it doesn't usually get too crowded, apart from Cowes Week and when the IOW Festival is on and of course prices have been known to rise a bit then.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#450 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:12 pm

Good evening Lyn I suppose you have your hammers with you.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Open All Hours 2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor