Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Friday's here already

#4126 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:47 am

Been down that road volty,still in transit.

signman

#4127 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Yes I agree that the royal mail has deteriorated, I can remember that before we had first and second class mail if you posted a package or a letter anywhere in the country it got there next day with the exception of things like postcards and birthday cards.

Today birthday cards rarely get through as half of them go missing. Half a million letters a week go astray of which 100,000 arrive up to 15 days late and 400,000 never reach their destination. Thats 20,800,000 letters a year that go missing. If you send a birthday card by mail don't seal it at least then it can be seen that there is no bank notes inside and no reason for it to go missing.

Right my turn for a moan, I've just been to Specsavers the opticians I have always used, for an emergency replacement of my glasses. Now when I first transfered to them from D & A I could get a new pair of glasses in a couple of hours. So why now some ten years later with the advancement of technology does it now take 5 days?

Lyn some photos of St Mathews for you if you are looking for some.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:25 pm | Top

#4128 by astoness , Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:08 pm

hi phil and thanks for the pics....did they get rid of the spire at some point....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4129 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Where the bloody hell did they get these figures from.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/over-7...gs-study-111600

signman

#4130 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi Lyn

I think they had some sort of a problem in the early 1900's and decided it would be much cheaper to remove the steeple than repair it. You do realise that most of the records that are held for St Matthews are at Aston Parish church St Peter & St Paul's.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4131 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:54 pm

John

I have a friend who had his own market research business before he retired, and even he wouldn't admit this but surveys never get the truth about anything. You get the result that you want by asking the right type of question. If an insurance company commissioned this survey, then obviously they want an excuse to increase the costs of insurance to motorists and this is just the sort of ammunition they need.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4132 by astoness , Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

[quote="phil"]Hi Lyn

I think they had some sort of a problem in the early 1900's and decided it would be much cheaper to remove the steeple than repair it. You do realise that most of the records that are held for St Matthews are at Aston Parish church St Peter & St Paul's.

Phil[/quote

]thanks for that info phil..and about the parish records....must make some inquires when i can..

oh..im glad to see you have got yer sight back....[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4133 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Lyn

I've sorted an old pair of reading glasses I had before I changed over to varifocal's they are not brilliant but they are getting me out of trouble.The only problem is I can't drive until I get my new glasses on Thursday. I've changed back to two separate pairs now. One close pair and one distance pair, at least I will only be able to break one pair at a time.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4134 by mikejee , Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Phil
I expect the reason for the increased time is because they likely make them in china now, and they have to be transported to the UK.
i agree about the research firms getting the answer they want, but there is another factor here. Not only is the research sponsored (ie paid for to get the results they want) by an insurance company, but the report is also from the Daily Express , which will distort things so much that they are approaching the reliability of ther Daily Sport

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4135 by astoness , Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:45 pm

evening anyone...[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4136 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Good Evening Lyn

Mike

I don't know where they make them now, but they used to make them on the premises at one time. I suppose they found that High St rents were not compatible with workshop rents. Once again it's not "lets think of the customer" but "lets think of the shareholder"

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4137 by astoness , Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 pm

hi phil...cant work out this weather...one min its peeing down then the sun comes out...its gone very dark over this way again...mind you it saves me getting hose out on the garden....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4138 by Deleted User , Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Evening all,talking of market research,I tested coffee whitener today and got paid £10 for my trouble.

Jim did it too so we had £20 for about an hours work.

Last time I did it I got free bakewear.

#4139 by astoness , Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Posted by denise
Evening all,talking of market research,I tested coffee whitener today and got paid £10 for my trouble.

Jim did it too so we had £20 for about an hours work.

Last time I did it I got free bakewear.

cant be bad den....[Skipping Happy]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4140 by Deleted User , Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:34 pm

We have a lot of market research here,they normally use the Guildhall but today it was at the George Hotel,good chance to have a look upstairs of this lovely old building.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor