Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#3091 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
Evenin Greenfingers

funny you should say that SB..ive just been given an old chimney pot that our dad salvaged when the housesin farm st were being demolished well over 40 years back..until his stroke he always put plants in it and it looked lovely...now i have been given the task of carrying on with tradition...needs painting first then in go some plants...well actually he saved three..my brothers have the other two...[Big Smile].

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.04.2011 | Top

#3092 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Lyn

We used to do quite a trade in old chimney pots. especially the odd or novel shaped ones such as crowns. They would fetch up to £20 as late as the 8o's for garden ornaments, but thats when prices started to go barmy because after years of people ripping all the Victoriana out of houses the vogue was to put it all back. From then on you could get what you wanted for anything that even looked Victorian or before (even old house bricks) They even started making old crown pots again.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3093 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Posted by phil
Lyn

We used to do quite a trade in old chimney pots. especially the odd or novel shaped ones such as crowns. They would fetch up to £20 as late as the 8o's for garden ornaments, but thats when prices started to go barmy because after years of people ripping all the Victoriana out of houses the vogue was to put it all back. From then on you could get what you wanted for anything that even looked Victorian or before (even old house bricks) They even started making old crown pots again.

Phil

why is it folk think ive got a thing about anything brick [Laugh Out Loud] hi phil...well the one i have is not really ornate..quite plain really..terracota originally...dad painted the outside of it a few times but its all flaking off now...would you advise i try and get all the paint off and get it back to how it was..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3094 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 8:31 pm

is anybody there....[Crying]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3095 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 04, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm HERE[Big Smile]

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3096 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 8:51 pm

ahh my trusty man servant....[Laugh Out Loud]

evening SB...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3097 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Posted by astoness

why is it folk think ive got a thing about anything brick [Laugh Out Loud] hi phil...well the one i have is not really ornate..quite plain really..terracota originally...dad painted the outside of it a few times but its all flaking off now...would you advise i try and get all the paint off and get it back to how it was..

Lyn

I'm no expert on restoring chimney pots, but I would think that if it has had numerous coats of paint it might be only that holding it together. you might do more harm than good trying to remove it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3098 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 pm

At yer service maam oi jus got back from a meeting. So here I am[Hug]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3099 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Posted by phil

Posted by astoness

Lyn

I'm no expert on restoring chimney pots, but I would think that if it has had numerous coats of paint it might be only that holding it together. you might do more harm than good trying to remove it.

Phil

A quick tip from the quick tip department. Araldite actually repairs Terracotta. Glass too. I't well worth having around.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3100 by Deleted User , Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Evening all.Lovely sunshine but I was working today till 2 so missed some of it.

Voting tomorrow.

#3101 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Posted by phil

Posted by astoness

Lyn

phil i will have a better look at it tomorrow but from what ive seen the paint seems to be flaking well..quite a bit of it is already off showing the terracota...will post a pic tomorrow...

Phil

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3102 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
At yer service maam oi jus got back from a meeting. So here I am[Hug]

wondered where you had got to....if you have had a meeting i shall be nice to you tonight....[Silly Grin]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3103 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 04, 2011 9:04 pm

Posted by denise
Evening all.Lovely sunshine but I was working today till 2 so missed some of it.

Voting tomorrow.

Hello Denise thank God, a normal woman at last.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3104 by astoness , Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Posted by denise

Voting tomorrow.

hi den...yes its grand weather..i shall be in the shop till about 1 tomorrow then i think i may cut the grass...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3105 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Posted by astoness

Posted by denise

Voting tomorrow.

hi den...yes its grand weather..i shall be in the shop till about 1 tomorrow then i think i may cut the grass...

They have Grass in the shop!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor