Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#2416 by mikejee , Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Phil
Most people who watch these things only watch, so its no different than watching "Sex at a gipsy wedding" or whatever these peculiar shows are called that fill most of channel 4, yet these programs don't interrupt the news or other reasonably interesting programs I might want to watch

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#2417 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:42 am

Of course most of us only watch most sports, I would get knackered just getting my kit on but thankfully we all have different interests or the world would be pretty boring.
Also its good to be able to make our own comments on anything but if we didnt make quite so many negative comments we may keep more members.
Having a dedicated sports threads will keep everyone happy.
Sporties take part
Non sporties don't.
No-one need get upset. SB

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#2418 by mikejee , Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:01 am

I did put my views a bit strongly last night - had a bad day on a number of fronts. Didn't mean to offend anyone. As Phil says, and i agree, everyone should be able to watch whatever they want, but it does bug me when some sport program grossly over-runs for, not only to the BBC replace other programs I might want to watch with the game/match etc, but then with another half an hour or so of "comment" , which just repeats the same old thing over and over like a political speech.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#2419 by astoness , Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 am

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #23535
I did put my views a bit strongly last night - had a bad day on a number of fronts. Didn't mean to offend anyone. As Phil says, and i agree, everyone should be able to watch whatever they want, but it does bug me when some sport program grossly over-runs for, not only to the BBC replace other programs I might want to watch with the game/match etc, but then with another half an hour or so of "comment" , which just repeats the same old thing over and over like a political speech.

mike dont worry about it....we all have bad days you know....even me[Little LOL]

good morning all looks like another nice day[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 07.08.2013 | Top

#2420 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 am

Trouble is Mike with Tennis they have no idea what time it will finnish as with football no idea if there will be extra time.
What does annoy me is when a major game is postponed the show a game from about ten years ago.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#2421 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 am

Morning All,

Sorry SB I don't think negative comments mean less members. I am of the opinion that too much sport (or any given subject) drives prospective members away. What we need is a balanced forum of those who have an anti opinion and those who are for any given subject. After all if you want a forum that is dedicated to any given topic then there are plenty of them about, but myself I would rather have a forum of mixed opinions any day.

As long as the forum is moderated in a just and fair way I cannot see what harm it does to have opposed opinions because if we all thought the same then it wouldn't be worth having an opinion in the first place.

phil

#2422 by Voltman , Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 am

I disagree.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#2423 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

And I agree with your right to disagree.

phil

#2424 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #23538
Morning All,

Sorry SB I don't think negative comments mean less members. I am of the opinion that too much sport (or any given subject) drives prospective members away. What we need is a balanced forum of those who have an anti opinion and those who are for any given subject. After all if you want a forum that is dedicated to any given topic then there are plenty of them about, but myself I would rather have a forum of mixed opinions any day.

As long as the forum is moderated in a just and fair way I cannot see what harm it does to have opposed opinions because if we all thought the same then it wouldn't be worth having an opinion in the first place.

You misunderstand me phil I am not saying do not disagree with anyone. As you say a conversation-discussion is exactly what we want, what we should have is a forum where we can discuss anything, a sports thread would give anyone a chance to talk about what interests them from football to bar billiards. Anyone not interested just backs off. For example I have not a lot of interest in Nechells in the 1950s so I just leave everyone who enjoys that to it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#2425 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

SB

But if you came on the Nechells thread or in fact any of the history based threads and said that you found it boring, which you are perfectly entitled to nobody would tell you to back off or not take part. I am of the opinion that everybody's opinion (within the bounds of decency and reality) is of value be they pro or con.

phil

#2426 by astoness , Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #23542
SB

But if you came on the Nechells thread or in fact any of the history based threads and said that you found it boring, which you are perfectly entitled to nobody would tell you to back off or not take part. I am of the opinion that everybody's opinion (within the bounds of decency and reality) is of value be they pro or con.

have to disagree with on this one phil thats being nasty....no matter what forum i am a member of i will only post on threads that are of interest to me...cant see the point in going on say a kings heath thread and saying i find it boring as it only gets those who value that area backs up and i have better things to do with my time than to do that...in other words live and let live...each to his own and all that...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#2427 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Lyn

I'm not saying that you, myself, SB or anybody else would come on to a thread with that attitude though I have no hesitation in saying I find sport and television boring but I try to stay away from those type of threads. Though Lyn you have to admit like myself you have been on threads (not here) where people have come on with the express idea of causing mischief. In my own experience these Trolls have been treated with courtesy and good manners in the first instance and if this has not worked then they are removed from the forum. I have to say that saying you dislike sport or that you think a thread boring does not match up to this.

phil

#2428 by astoness , Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #23544
Lyn

I'm not saying that you, myself, SB or anybody else would come on to a thread with that attitude though I have no hesitation in saying I find sport and television boring but I try to stay away from those type of threads. Though Lyn you have to admit like myself you have been on threads (not here) where people have come on with the express idea of causing mischief. In my own experience these Trolls have been treated with courtesy and good manners in the first instance and if this has not worked then they are removed from the forum. I have to say that saying you dislike sport or that you think a thread boring does not match up to this.

phil you quoted the nechells thread as an example and said that everyone has the right to go onto it and say they find it boring..all i was saying is i have never done that and never would...expressing my opinions on other subjects now thats a different matter...we have all done that...

anyhow hope everyone has had a good day...far too hot for me now but its better than 6 ft of snow..[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#2429 by mikejee , Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:17 pm

In answer to your hope Lyn, I had a lovely day weather wise, and also quite interesting, as I took my mother to Blenheim Palace, which i last went to about 55 years ago.Mised feelings about the palace- i would not have wanted to luve there, as, unlike some large stately houses, it seem to comprise a great number of rather dark corridors and rooms, but it was still interesting, and the grounds are lovely.Only fly in the ointment was that all the formal gardens had paths which seeme dto have been newly "refurbished" with about 3 inches of granite (I presume) chips, which, while giving mybheart a chance to beat at its full rate, do not make pushing a wheelchair at all easy

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#2430 by astoness , Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #23546
In answer to your hope Lyn, I had a lovely day weather wise, and also quite interesting, as I took my mother to Blenheim Palace, which i last went to about 55 years ago.Mised feelings about the palace- i would not have wanted to luve there, as, unlike some large stately houses, it seem to comprise a great number of rather dark corridors and rooms, but it was still interesting, and the grounds are lovely.Only fly in the ointment was that all the formal gardens had paths which seeme dto have been newly "refurbished" with about 3 inches of granite (I presume) chips, which, while giving mybheart a chance to beat at its full rate, do not make pushing a wheelchair at all easy

excellent mike so pleased you and mom managed a nice day out...i know how you both like to do that when possable and yes i can imagine how difficult it must be pushing a wheelchair along granite or wood chippings...its hard enough going on a smooth surface as ive done it many times with both mom and dad...hope to see you both soon mike...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor