Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#721 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm

VM

Thanks for the thought, but I do know of the site. I have scanned through it often, but most of the images are copyrighted and belong to collections. Quite how that works I don't know for sure as I thought that all postcards were fair game after 25 years.

I tend to leave collections alone, it is far better to be safe than sorry. Even if I think the public are being scammed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#722 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:58 am

Morning all, another nice sunny day here, I'm getting fed up of saying that.
Phil, I totally agree with you regarding collections etc.
There's a court case going on now, with some German so and so who's trying to stop people and businesses on Route 66 in America from selling postcards and souvenirs, saying he's bought the sole rights to the use of the name, I would like to know who he's bought it from, and just to say
he ain't got a hope in hell.
It's the same with all the Marilyn Monroe stuff.

signman
Last edited Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:59 am | Top

#723 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:11 am

Mornin John,,I wish I could get fed up with sayin it's a nice day. it's bin grey an orrible ere for days. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#724 by astoness , Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 am

morning all...and thank you den well its windy and dull here in brum.got a couple of friends coming round this morning for a cuppa and to have a look through my pic collection...told em to bring a packed lunch

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#725 by Voltman , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

Phil,

I will be downloading all these postcards along with their reverses. I won't be using them commercially, for profit or for publication, just for me to look at.
As far as copyright goes, it is usually such a minefield it would be almost impossible to get sued for breaching one.
I have put a Telsen magazine up on the net, it is 75 years old and the copyright holders went out of business 70 years ago.
VM

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#726 by astoness , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 am

hi volty..copywrite is such a grey area i think.....my answer to those who put pics on the net then complain if they see them somewhere else is DONT PUT THEM ON IN THE FIRST PLACE...keep em to yourself if you dont want to share them with like minded folk...i dont have as many as our phil but i do have hundreds in my collection and no way would i ever try to make a profit out of them..they are purely kept for historical purposes....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#727 by Voltman , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 am

As you say Astoness, if it worries you that someone might steal them then don't let them out of the box.
If someone has put their own pictures up for sale, they should render them unusable until paid for, but vanity publishing just invites use in the public domain.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 07.29.2010 | Top

#728 by astoness , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:25 am

agreed volty....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#729 by Deleted User , Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 am

Well I can't see anybody being in a hurry to use my piccies but can you imagine if someone made a fortune from your picture....surely that would be really annoying?

On the other hand I get enormous pleasure from sharing my pics and seeing other peoples I will not lose sleep over it.

#730 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:22 am

As you all know I have collected a few photos over the years. This copyright issue really annoys the hell out of me. I cannot see what harm it does to share a few photos between friends. If you were trying the make money or make some other advantage from these photos I could understand it.

It is as Lyn says, why put these photos somewhere that they can be copied in the first place if they don't want to share them. If they had taken these photos themselves it would make some sense, but not when they are over a 100 years old. What they are trying to do is make money out of people's natural desires to know more about themselves.

What really takes the biscuit is when you see "photographer unknown copyright ********" How do you copyright something that you don't even know who owns it.

Another thing that annoys me is, some sites (not this one) if you upload a photo to it, they claim copyright of that photo. You agree to it when you become a member of the site. So always read the small print before you upload anything.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#731 by Voltman , Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Ok Folks, gather round, I now have a limited quantity of limited edition forum badges for sale.
Designed by one of the country's top graphic designers, these badges are available now at only £2.50 each inc postage.
Get yours now before they are snapped up. This is a one time offer, so order early as demand is expected to greatly exceed supply.
Please send your orders to VM by PM in the AM.
VM

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#732 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:27 pm

HELLO VISTORS/GUESTS WHY NOT JOIN US

Thank you Arthur Daly

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#733 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:46 pm

VM

In that case when can I expect your cheque?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#734 by Voltman , Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

Today we had a bulky rubbish collection, thanks, apparently to the liberals or whatever it is that they are calling themselves this week.
As soon as the useless crap began to be put out last night the thieves and the magpies started circling, stealing rubbish that in some cases was truly pathetic.
I almost, but not quite, pity the poor sod that plugs in anything electrical I might have left out.

Strange then, is it not, that while this overt display of thievery is taking place out the front, all the garages and sheds around the back are being broken into. Nothing was taken though, no doubt because the simpletons responsible for all the damage are too stupid to know why they had broken into them in the first place.
It’s a genetic thing. All their ancestors were burglars, so it is no great surprise that these anthropologically deformed morons, representing years of interbreeding and stealing, who have inherited nothing in the way of intelligence simply because there was nothing to inherit, go about the only thing that their cerebellum free, underdeveloped cranial inhabiting slug will allow to pass as any sort of an instinct.
Bless ‘em.

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#735 by Voltman , Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Posted by phil
VM

In that case when can I expect your cheque?

Phil

Phil, I will obviously need some time to process the orders and clear the payments, then I will have to be audited to ensure fair dealings.
I estimate payments to contractors will be generated some time during the third quarter of the next tax year and will be sent out after a further three months or 180 days, whichever seems longer.
This is about the time I would dispatch the goods to the customers who are still complaining.
For more information about this and other scams that you may wish to fall victim to, please ring the customer services number, to be found on the back of this post, and press 25.
VM

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor