You're not keen on the snow then Phil.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Open All Hours

#4922 by Deleted User , Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:31 pm

I suppose what I am saying Phil is I would like to remember some of the beauty that the frost ,ice and snow have created.

On the other and I too have not enjoyed it being so cold for so long.I have been constantly stressed with trying to stay upright when out walking and the leccie bill will be eye watering,I agee I think we have more to come.

#4923 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Denise

I know that we all have to worry about the extra bills that this sort of weather brings, but what I always say is "keep warm and worry about what it costs later". I don't think that this government is going to be quite so understanding as the last one, and the fate of some of those at the poorer end of society worries me.

SB, it's not the snow itself that I dislike, but the disruption and chaos that accompanies it. We could always work in all weathers except the snow, try as we might if it was a bad fall it could always beat us.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4924 by berniew , Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Posted by Voltman

Posted by berniew
From what little I have gleaned the backlit tv s use led s light emitting diodes to light the screen instead of cold cathode flourecsent lighting , makes them slimmer and more energy efficient but led s have a finite lifespan .I was wondering if Volty knew if there were any downsides as they are more expensive to buy .

What I do know Bernie is that the illuminating LEDs that we see in use everywhere, giving unbelievable levels of light output, are overdriven in order to maximise their brightness, so they don't run cold as in traditional indicator roles but run warm to hot. This greatly shortens their life so that as you quite rightly say they have a finite lfespan. Cold cathode lamps also have a finite life but are a proven technology. My double density CCFL LCD TV gives off as much heat as a radiator. I dread to think what abuse an LED would have to suffer to provide the same amount of backlight. What worries me is how LEDs are advertised as long life components. As an indicator, with the correct current limiting resistance, they will easily outlive the products they were built into. But as an illumination they may prove not to be cost effective, this risk is disguised by the quantity of LEDs that make up an ilumination device, a few failures won't be discernible until well after the warranty has expired.
VM

That's pretty well my concerns Volty I think I'll go conventional thanks a lot Bernie

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#4925 by berniew , Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Good afternoon everyone well my reply box is working properly now , not retaining the last post .

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#4926 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:20 pm

This double reply thing might be something to do with the latest upgrades, perhaps they are having a little trouble sorting them out. One of the latest upgrades is you will notice if you are making a long post, then every 30 seconds it is saved. So if for some reason you loose the post page, when you return to it you post will be there for you to finish.

Another upgrade that will be of interest is one I have chased up and that is if someone else posts while you are typing a post for a thread you will be warned prior to you posting a boon in the games thread. There are other upgrades but they are mostly aimed at administrators than members, I'll let you know more about them later.

Anybody having specific problems, please let me know.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4927 by Voltman , Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
Thanks VM that was quick. Can anything be done about trhe double
Menu it drives me mad having to go into every post twice..

I don't know about that SB, it is the tiered structure of the forum that causes this need to drill down to the threads.
Unless Phil has come up with any ideas since we last discussed it I could try something with this thread, but Phil is the one who usually moves things about and keeps the place tidy.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4928 by Voltman , Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Nice photo's in the Snow, Signman. The icicles on the cottage defy belief.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#4929 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:01 pm

VM

If you have any ideas, then stick them on the suggestion thread, (and anybody else who has any ideas) because in the next couple of weeks I am going to run another survey on how the members want things to progress with the forum over the coming year. Things like new threads, the removal of old threads, slimming the number of boards down, adding new boards. Any new idea at all that can be put forward to the membership and voted on.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4930 by Deleted User , Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I like things just the way they are really .

#4931 by astoness , Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:47 am

morning all...sorry to hear about your burst pipes phil...just heard that they are having awful problems in ireland due to that and bottled water is being shipped in....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4932 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:03 am

Morning Lyn, wot mayhem are you up to today then

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4933 by astoness , Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:06 am

morning SB..mayhem is the word..having new stair carpet fitted today..gosh its very foggy again today..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4934 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:46 am

Foggy up your stairs ?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4935 by Voltman , Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 am

My Snowman has melted.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor