Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#4636 by astoness , Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:32 pm

[Little LOL] volty..you dont read as though you are...must be a slow drinker...lol

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4637 by astoness , Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:35 pm

im off now volty...im all in after that brandy and babycham[Little LOL]

ttfn...

lyn[Gone to Bed]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4638 by Voltman , Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Goodnight all.
VM

Bah Humbug.
Merry Christmas
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#4639 by Voltman , Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Posted by toady
My son tells me 8 inches of snow in Hollywood/Wythall can't get car out of his road, i have been checking road reports it appears to be bad in my area M42/M5 am I in Devon for christmas?

It only needs a warm day Toady and it's all gone until the next time. Lap of the gods as they say.
VM

Bah Humbug.
Merry Christmas
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 12.18.2010 | Top

#4640 by Sheldonboy , Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 am

Good Morning all
Lyn so sorry Jo and I couldn't make your big bash.we left home at around 8.30 so that we could get a couple of things done in town.
Then we stopped a black cab to take us over to my sisters house in Quinton. We got to Quinton,just past the old Bass House and the taxi driver said it was too dangerous, We had crawled from town. I telephoned my sister who is 81 and blind to cancel which I was most upset about. But we would never have got back home.
We managed to get a no 9 bus into town which travelled at walking pace. We walked from Broad Street to Moor Street to our bus stop. No Buses were coming up there because of the hill. We started to walk to New Street Station, by this time Volty had contacted us on the phone and told us that the trains were running our way. I advised him not to come into town as not much was moving. We got on our train which stopped at Lea Hall then we walked up the road to MacDonalds had a very welcome burger and a sit down and the a 20 minute walk home.
So we were out for six hours travelled in two buses a taxi and a train. Saw no one and did nothing. Got home Clapped out. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4641 by astoness , Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 am

morning all...SB no apologies needed i know only too well how bad yesterday was....there will be another time..[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4642 by berniew , Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:48 am

Good morning all , well just about , I made it as far as the Lyndon where I met a mate on the way to Olton station . We had sevaral cacellations via phone calls and decided to have a few pints there and cancel ourselves , looks like a wise decision with hindsight . I t must be dissapointing Lyn to have put so much work in and then the weather throws a spanner in the works

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#4643 by berniew , Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:53 am

Posted by Voltman
Bernie appears to be a Sparky, so if he has been on the beer with a bunch of other sparkies then he is probably lying in a gutter outside a curry house somewhere or he is only in a police cell wishing he hadn't got out of bed this morning.
But then they aren't all like me, and that was only until I was 22, so perhaps he had a nice afternoon and is at home in bed.
VM

You have a great understanding of the sparky mentality Volty

berniew  
berniew

#4644 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 pm

I think its disgusting that a bit of snow can bring a city to a virtual standstill, I stood outside Moor St Station at about 11.30 a.m. yesterday and watched an Eddie Stoddard 10 legger battling to get up the hill. Where were the snow ploughs and gritters? Surely when this weather is expected they should have a tractor on permanent duty at these sort of points. Even a few grit and salt bins would have been of a great help.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4645 by astoness , Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 pm

hi ya bernie...what do you think of this weather then....and no swearing please....[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4646 by berniew , Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi Lyn the snow was deep by us about 6-8 " but when I saw the state of the roads I was really surprised and dissapointed .The main roads were almost impassable and the bus routs , at least by us didn,t look as if they had been touched . My son went to town around dinner time and waited an hour and a half for a return train from Moor Street about six o clock . I don't know if things are viewed with rose coloured glasses as you look back but snow used to be inconvinient now it stops the whole city and most of the country from travelling .

berniew  
berniew

#4647 by berniew , Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:21 pm

You'r right Phil there used to be grit bins around and they must be a big bonus especially on bus routs .

berniew  
berniew

#4648 by astoness , Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:38 pm

roads here in kingstanding still bad bernie..the main kingstanding road and hawthorn road full of slush..no gritting done at all..trouble with having the gritting bins is eveyone knicks it for personal use..[Hammer Head Yellow]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4649 by berniew , Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 pm

I have read and seen some pics on bhf there were quite a few people made it but it,s getting home where you could be in trouble but that was a good turn out Lyn all things considered . That's a good trek from Spring Road Phil especially given the conditions how long did it take

berniew  
berniew

#4650 by astoness , Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 pm

bernie we were lucky to have the turnout we did...but it was too late to cancel im afaid...feel sorry too for the kiddies who could not come as they were all looking forward to it....remind me never to have another one in dec...[Crying]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor