Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: SUMMER LANE PUBS..

#16 by astoness , Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 am

last one...pub 15...the woodman inn..summer lane/asylum road...

hope you enjoyed this trip down summer lane...we will never see the like again...

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.01.2015 | Top

#17 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Thanks Lyn nice collection of pictures. I used to work in Hatchet Street so I knew a couple of them. Graham

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#18 by Voltman , Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm

What a smashing historcal presentation, Thank you Astoness, I enjoyed that.

I shall now go Google walking and take a look at where they all used to be.
VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Now who is going to tell me the name of the only pub actually on Summer Lane. For a street that boasted a pub on nearly every corner only one was in Summer Lane itself. Now I know Lyn will know this. But how many more know the answer.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I can't remember the name Phil but I think it was the little brown fronted one down close by the Ambulance station on the same side, opposite Whites Ironmongers.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#21 by Voltman , Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Surely it was the Vine, which wasn't on a corner.

No wonder all the pubs are gone, most of the roads have gone as well.

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 06.07.2010 | Top

#22 by astoness , Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:48 pm

thanks all...yes a few of the streets have gone now but most of them remain...SB many moons ago i worked at W H PRICE in summerlane..the barrell was our watering hole when the need arose....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#23 by astoness , Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:53 pm

[[File:36_11_6.gif|none|auto]]yes it was the vine that was the only pub not on a corner...not too hard to work that one out folks as i told you that when i posted the pic...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 08.01.2015 | Top

#24 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 pm

What I think is good to see these days is a change in attitudes. Areas such as Summer Lane, in days gone by, were tough, Very tough. There was hard living and and hard drinking going on, punch ups on a regular basis. Wash houses to share, steps to scrub people had to be hard just to survive.
But even with all that sort of history anyone who lived there and experienced the rough, tough life there almost without exception are proud to say I come from Summer Lane (or wherever it happened to be). No Kippers and Curtains, That's where I come from. Good on em.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link http://205004.xobor.com/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 06.09.2010 | Top

#25 by astoness , Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 pm

well i cant add anything to that SB ..you are spot on

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#26 by Spit , Sat May 19, 2012 8:07 am

Hello,
very disappointed to find that there is only one original boozer in Summer Lane. I love visiting the old pubs around the city centre and Summer Lane is the spine really of the city. Any suggestions of old pubs in near to original format would be appreciated.
Crackin site

Spit  
Spit
Date registered 05.17.2012

#27 by Voltman , Sat May 19, 2012 9:06 am

Hello Spit, welcome to your forum.

I only have one pub suggestion as I never go into town drinking, but I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Bull in Price Street last year. That is definitley a pub with history.

I know we have at least a couple of members who would be eager to compare notes with you on city centre pubs.
In the meantime please feel free to start your own thread and give us your own list of old pubs worth a visit.

Voltman

You and I should use anendlessstreamofvowelsandconsonants to form the words we will use to effectively assemble a forceful tirade of
well constructed sentences which will aid and assist us in our tireless struggle to virtually eliminate verbosity

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#28 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 19, 2012 11:09 am

All my locals were in Small Heath, Yardley and Sheldon,until I moved to Northfield.

signman

#29 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 19, 2012 11:55 am

Hi Spit

Welcome to you, I'm afraid that there are not many old school pubs left, I've just heard that the last of my old locals The Hereford in Kyrwicks Lane Sparkbrook is now a drop in centre for Somali's. As I'm not allowed to drink anymore (supposedly) I don't think I can give any advice on where to find a decent pub.

Phil

phil

#30 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Posted by Voltman
Hello Spit, welcome to your forum.

I only have one pub suggestion as I never go into town drinking, but I was dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Bull in Price Street last year. That is definitley a pub with history.

I know we have at least a couple of members who would be eager to compare notes with you on city centre pubs.
In the meantime please feel free to start your own thread and give us your own list of old pubs worth a visit.

Voltman

Volty, the day you have to be dragged into a pub kickin and screaming will be the first. As I remember it you had to be dragged out kickin and screaming. Yes Spit, The Bull Price Street is a great old put with loads of history, and welcome to the forum pal. Sheldonboy.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 05.19.2012 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor