Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Welcome to Brummies Talking

#91 by mollymandysb , Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Kate

welcome, i am fairly new as well but a great bunch.

family history is so interesting

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#92 by astoness , Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:50 pm

hello kate and welcome to our little forum..hope you keep posting and dont forget to drop in on the OPEN ALL HOURS thread for a chat with us...also welcome to geoff..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 01.12.2012 | Top

#93 by mikejee , Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:04 pm

hi Kate
Welcome. If there is any way we can help your researches then we will
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

RE: Welcome to Brummies Talking this is the place to say hello

#94 by SusanC , Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 am

Hello fellow Brummies. I live in the US, in southern New Jersey, Cape May county to be exact. I have been doing genealogy for over 30 years, working mainly on my CRUTCHLEY ancestors who lived at 85 Coleshill street [next to the old Birmingham Concert Hall which is now demolished]. The George Crutchley family lived at the Coleshill street address from at least 1858 until 1905. I saved for many years to make a journey to Birmingham to the area my relatives lived, but health has now made that impossible, so I am so thankful for this site. Regards, Susan Crutchley Boyer

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#95 by Deleted User , Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:29 am

Hello Susan and welcome[Welcome]

We have some good local history people on here and I am sure they will be happy to help you with any questions you may have.

#96 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:13 am

Welcome Susan to our little band,I worked in Stafford Street/Coleshill Street 1956-62, Phil has many photos of those streets,I'm sure he'll post a few for you.

signman

#97 by astoness , Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:40 am

welcome to the forum susan...as john has said if you cant get to birmingham we can bring birmingham to you...i am quite sure that a few of us on there will have some old photos of the area you are interested in..just ask away and we will do what we can to help you...[Big Smile]

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#98 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:14 am

Hello Susan you are very welcome to Brummies talking. It's nice to have an American branch. I worked in a pub in the 1970's we had a regular customer in our bar who lived in the Garretts Green/Sheldon area named Tommy Crutchly. I would think in the 70s he was about 55 years of age, I don't know any more about him I am afraid I hope this may be of some help. Don't be a stranger come back to us as often as you like. Sheldonboy

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it lef
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#99 by mikejee , Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:52 am

Welcome to the forum Susan
I went to look at the directories to see if I could extend your dates back a little further. Trouble is numbering in those early days was a bit hit and miss. The same building could be given different numbers in two succesive directories (I am not talking about an official renumbering, just what was quoted as the number. I was surprised to see quite a lot in birmingham of what I would have assumed was an uncommon name. I will start a new thread on Crutchleys so it doesn't get mixed up with general welcomes
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#100 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Susan

Welcome to our little forum, we are very glad to have you as a member as we need active members, We have a member who has an interest in the old Music Hall as you call it. Some of us on here remember it as The Gaiety Cinema. As has been said I might have a photo of No 85 as soon as yourself or Mikejee can tell me exactly where 85 was. I have it has the Prince of Wales pub in the 1950, but in the 1903 directory I have a George Crutchley Butcher.

Phil

phil

#101 by SusanC , Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 pm

WOW - Thank you SO much for the wonderful welcome! The George Crutchley butcher in the 1903 directory is indeed mine. I followed the replies and pictures that you were kind enough to post for Stirling Single in her search for Holder's. Originally I hit the link on Ancestry's census for 1891 and it took me to a map and overview of "85 Coleshill St,
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands B75, UK". A few days later I just typed in to Google search "85 Coleshill street, Birmingham, UK" The two google maps do not match. The first link shows a small street with brick homes and the second map shows that the address is now part of the University of Aston. Am I correct to assume that the home has been demolished and is part of the University OR on a long shot, could it really be still in existance at the first site?

As suggested I will post all future items to the Crutchley forum which has been created and again many Thank You's.
Regards, Susan

SusanC  
SusanC
Date registered 02.02.2012

#102 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi Susan

Take a look in the All Things Birmingham thread Mike has posted some info for you there.

Phil

phil

#103 by scoobyflyer , Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:31 pm

hello, my name is Andrew, i am 43 and have lived in the tile cross area for 42 years. love looking at the old photgraphs of the city centre. would love to find out soome history of sheldon hall and the white hart pub in Tile Cross area.

scoobyflyer  
scoobyflyer
Date registered 02.13.2012

#104 by astoness , Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 pm

hi andrew and a warm welcome to our little forum..my aunt and nan used to live in bell lane tile cross...i have never heard of sheldon hall...is it still there...oh is the white hart pub still there too..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#105 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Andy,

Is it Andy or Andrew, I have already said hello but repeating myself is something I do well. You will find us a pretty easy going bunch so have a look around and join in wherever you like.

Phil

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor