Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#331 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:53 pm

The Roebuck of course, it hasn't changed that much except for a coat of paint. There again I haven't been inside for years. I did some work on the Australian Bar in the 80's we knocked hell out of the lounge as they were doing some alterations. The landlord was quite a nice chap he looked after us well with drinks and sandwiches.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm | Top

#332 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:58 pm

What can you tell me about this one?

Attached pictures:
phil

#333 by winkle , Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Not a lot Phil, as I never saw it like that! I think it was a boozer before a Palace of Varieties - The Empire Vaults, and before that The White Swan. Didn't Jerry kill it stone dead? I do remember it's Nemesis better though, the Locarno! Some brilliant nights there in the 60s and 70s. Say no more....

Another for our little Quiz...who what where?

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

#334 by mikejee , Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Transport & general workers union?, or some union anyway ,

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 09.06.2012 | Top

#335 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:57 pm

The Rose & Crown on the corner of Lower Essex St and Bromsgove St just up the road from my favourite haunt The Ringway Club. Winkle although the Empire had many names I don't think the White Swan was one of them.

phil

#336 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

This is one of the City pubs that has been mentioned, but which one is it, and why did it close down in 1958?

Attached pictures:
phil

#337 by winkle , Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #335
The Rose & Crown on the corner of Lower Essex St and Bromsgove St just up the road from my favourite haunt The Ringway Club. Winkle although the Empire had many names I don't think the White Swan was one of them.

Absolutely spot on mon ami, as per...wonder why it's still going when all around has been industrialised? ...maybe it's listed...in other words, waiting to be....(cough)...'vandalised' ...and then demolished for 'safety reasons' ?

winkle  
winkle

Last edited 09.14.2012 | Top

#338 by winkle , Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #
This is one of the City pubs that has been mentioned, but which one is it, and why did it close down in 1958?

Aha! No 3 on our list for the 40s Pubs, THE BELL INN, 7 Phillips Street

Most famous regular was William Hutton, the Historian, who lived at Garland House, where Waterstone’s Bookshop is now at 26 High Street (the old Times Building), when he purchased it in 1772. Garland House was reputedly built in 1567.

The first Bell Inn was built in 1710, and later bought by Jacob Wilson the Town Crier, and altered in 1894 to it's last appearance. It closed in 1958 when the great Market Hall clearace commenced.

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle

Last edited 09.06.2012 | Top

#339 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Winkle

I thought the reason it closed was the same that is printed underneath your photo, and that was for having lock-ins I didn't think the demolitions started for a good 12 to 18 months after 1958.

As for Hutton did he move to the High st after his and his daughters houses in Saltley were attacked in the Priestly Riots?

phil

#340 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 pm

I must say I havn't been able to contribute to this thread but I have been following it, well done lads.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#341 by winkle , Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:04 am

Winkle

I thought the reason it closed was the same that is printed underneath your photo, and that was for having lock-ins I didn't think the demolitions started for a good 12 to 18 months after 1958.

As for Hutton did he move to the High st after his and his daughters houses in Saltley were attacked in the Priestly Riots?

Of course I always read the captions in the pictures I post.....it would be silly of me not to....but in THIS case I made an exception. A test really, see? But you got it. You old dog you. Now as for the Huttons, I did know about their Saltley gaff called Bennett's Hill, and you may note that the CAPTION from photos appende below would appear to concur with your comments about William Hutton and his daughter Catherine being attacked there by the Priestley rioters...so, you are now promoted to class Milk Monitor...

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)[[File:Bennetts Hill House 1.jpg|none|auto]]

winkle  
winkle

#342 by winkle , Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:09 am

.... Winkle although the Empire had many names I don't think the White Swan was one of them.

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Second photo for completeness of our discussions...first from David Harvey's Book, Vol 2..

winkle  
winkle

Last edited 09.07.2012 | Top

#343 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the info Winkle, but I was right in one respect The Empire was never called the White Swan but the Inn that preceded it was.

phil

#344 by winkle , Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:32 pm

OK then, another tester. Have you Phil, or anyone else of course, got any photos or prints of any of these very old pubs from Eliezer Edwards' Book you can share? I feel another 'project' coming on....

Ta.

winkle  
winkle

#345 by astoness , Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:55 pm

phil can you deffo confirm that the building on the corner of lower essex st was the rose and crown pub..its been up for discussion elsewhere..ive been past it quite a few times to get piccies of it..shame its just going to rack and ruin...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor