Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#361 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Ok Mike done that!

phil

#362 by Voltman , Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 am

Excellent bit of history Mikejee.
Is there any possibility that the photo is in New Street or Pinfold Street?

http://www.npl.co.uk/
http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#363 by Brookieboy , Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 pm

Phil,
My memory of a Pub was the Lamb Tavern, corner of Clissold Street and New Spring Street, my father used to frequent there quite often, especially after coming back from his allotment in Handsworth, I used to run errands for the Landlady, used to get an old Halfpenny or Penny for them, she once asked if I would like a chemistry set which she had bought for her son but he was not interested in it, I had to run many errands for it before I finally badgered her into giving it to me, we had an old wash stand in our bedroom and I used to experiment with the Vials of powder in them, I loved that set, (bearing in mind we did not have toys in those days).
Brookieboy

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy
Date registered 05.21.2013

#364 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Hi Norman

Not a pub I knew I'm afraid, it would have been a bit off the beaten track for me. I do remember toys being a rarity in childhood and can remember one Christmas when my only present was a book. Good job I was an avid reader.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#365 by coalhole , Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #16
The 2 roughest pubs I ever worked in were THE AVENUE in Green Lane and THE BEECHES in Hoggs Lane Northfield, and it was always the paddies that started it.

you are right it was a very rough pub especially when the manager was jimmy summers

coalhole  
coalhole
Date registered 05.17.2013

#366 by coalhole , Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #6
SB

Maybe you can tell me why this pub The New Inns at Yardley was demolished, replaced with a temporary pub for years and then finally replaced with a pub that is no better than the temporary one.

Mind you me and my mate Alf used the temporary one often on a Saturday when we picked his kids up from his ex outside the Swan.

Phil

I suppose its the usual winge phil COST I to used the so called temporary one {how many years was it temporary.? when I lived in Yardley though why any one could use that dump when you had the magnificent swan next door it was like having 10 pubs all under one roof and I made full use of them remember the evocative names? of the lounges...the siver ring...the Santiago room...the highland room.... and my favourite the morrocan room with excellent entertainment upstairs..like gino Washington& his ram jam band and many good stars of that era this was the place to take the ladies and enjoy a good pint and look what in their misguided wisdom they did to it shut it down....IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT IS MY MOTTO now I have had my rant time to come off my high horse and go and have a cup tea this site is creating havoc with my blood pressure!!

coalhole  
coalhole

#367 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm

As I understood things the Swan at Yardley was quite a fine pub for its day and for an Ansells pub. the Santiago room if I remember rightly was the steak bar which was great at a time when steaks and Mixed Grills were popular, they started to fade out as curry houses started to appear. Remember the Kashmir across the road with big Jim on the door.
The Swan was one of if not the biggest pub in Europe at the time, it was also one of the biggest white elephants, I am sure I read that it never made any money it was so big. It was also at a time when so many other local pubs were thriving and imagine if it was still there today they would need an army of security guards. It wasn't the cheapest pub in the world either.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.28.2013 | Top

#368 by coalhole , Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #18
John

When did you work at the Avenue? I knew the gaffer and misses there in the early 70's.

Phil

ONLY GAFFER I KNEW THERE WAS JIM SUMMERS AND IT WAS ROUGH THEN I FOUND IT QUIETER WHEN IT CHANGED TO THE POTCHEEN

coalhole  
coalhole

#369 by coalhole , Tue May 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #367
As I understood things the Swan at Yardley was quite a fine pub for its day and for an Ansells pub. the Santiago room if I remember rightly was the steak bar which was great at a time when steaks and Mixed Grills were popular, they started to fade out as curry houses started to appear. Remember the Kashmir across the road with big Jim on the door.
The Swan was one of if not the biggest pub in Europe at the time, it was also one of the biggest white elephants, I am sure I read that it never made any money it was so big. It was also at a time when so many other local pubs were thriving and imagine if it was still there today they would need an army of security guards. It wasn't the cheapest pub in the world either.

I am sure you are right s. b. I used it quite eary in its heyday probably late 60,s as I said it was a great place at that time a good place to take a young lady on a Saturday night and I have had many a meal in the Kashmir and remember big jim I also heard it was losing money and became rather run down in the 70,s however ihad moved from the Yardley area then and remember fondly only the goodtimes during the week I used more humble drinking holes the blakeseley Richmond and ring o bells but all these pubs where lovely pubs when I used them I went to the blakseley pu b years later my favourite local and found it had changed its name to the village or something what a dump I could not get out quick enough. also liked the meadway mackadown and 3 horseshoes.

coalhole  
coalhole

#370 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Quote: coalhole wrote in post #369
Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #367

I am sure you are right s. b. I used it quite eary in its heyday probably late 60,s as I said it was a great place at that time a good place to take a young lady on a Saturday night and I have had many a meal in the Kashmir and remember big jim I also heard it was losing money and became rather run down in the 70,s however ihad moved from the Yardley area then and remember fondly only the goodtimes during the week I used more humble drinking holes the blakeseley Richmond and ring o bells but all these pubs where lovely pubs when I used them I went to the blakseley pu b years later my favourite local and found it had changed its name to the village or something what a dump I could not get out quick enough. also liked the meadway mackadown and 3 horseshoes.

All pubs known to me, The Blakesely now demolished, The Meadway demolished years ago, now an Asda express on site, The Richmond now demolished a medical centre now on site, The Mackadown demolished now a supermarket on site, The Three Horsehoes I remember (when I knew the old one Pat Laird kept it) replaced by a new pub years ago still a good boozer I understand.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#371 by astoness , Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:34 am

Quote: Brookieboy wrote in post #363
Phil,
My memory of a Pub was the Lamb Tavern, corner of Clissold Street and New Spring Street, my father used to frequent there quite often, especially after coming back from his allotment in Handsworth, I used to run errands for the Landlady, used to get an old Halfpenny or Penny for them, she once asked if I would like a chemistry set which she had bought for her son but he was not interested in it, I had to run many errands for it before I finally badgered her into giving it to me, we had an old wash stand in our bedroom and I used to experiment with the Vials of powder in them, I loved that set, (bearing in mind we did not have toys in those days).
Brookieboy

the lamb tavern norman

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#372 by Slow Jo , Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Was a barman in the roebuck on the corner of soho hill and hamstead road .Weuse to have to call the police very often on weekends it was mainly irish road builders,they were building the hockley flyover in the early sixties.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#373 by astoness , Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #372
Was a barman in the roebuck on the corner of soho hill and hamstead road .Weuse to have to call the police very often on weekends it was mainly irish road builders,they were building the hockley flyover in the early sixties.

hi slow jo ive heard tell that back in the day the roebuck used to sell faggots and peas from the outdoor...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#374 by Sheldonboy , Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #373
Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #372

hi slow jo ive heard tell that back in the day the roebuck used to sell faggots and peas from the outdoor...

lyn

Well done Lyn adding a food element. Wish I had lived nearby.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#375 by Siouxhealer , Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Message #338. Page 23

Winkle I have to say a great big thank you!

In researching my family tree I discovered one of my main lines ran down the Wilson route, incorporating the famous town criers of Birmingham. It became clear through research that (I believe it was Thomas Wilson 1700 - 1773) owned / ran The Bell Inn in Phillip Street. In running a search last night for anything Wilson/ Birmingham related, I came across your posting, so it was lovely to read about William Hutton and see the images you posted of the Bell Inn before it made way for modernity :(

I have no idea if Jacob owned / ran the Bell after Thomas. Jacob 1799 - 1882 was my 4 x Gt Grandfather, Thomas was his Grandfather.
It would be lovely to think he followed in that trade as well as the Town Crier tradition that was said to have been in the family for 350 years!

If anyone reads this and has any further info on this subject I'd love to hear from you :D My entire WILSON tree with all its data sources is hosted on the Ancestry site and is public so go and have a looksee.

The following image is a transcription From: ' The Streets and Inhabitants of Birmingham 1770'. and can be found on Ancestry.

Siouxhealer
Date registered 03.18.2014

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor