Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Pubs and Inns of the Bull Ring and Market area from 1940s

#46 by astoness , Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:03 am

Quote: winkle wrote in post #43
You know I said the White Lion was not the one in Bordesley High Street lads? Well look what I wrote on the Moor Street thread some time ago...

"Consider this piece from my old school hero Vivian Bird, from his very readable “Portrait of Birmingham (1970)”

"When Leland visited Birmingham in 1538 he approached from the south, and would have been traversing the parish of Aston in the hamlet of Bordesley and until he crossed the Rea, for Aston circled eastward of Birmingham, and even in the 19th Century it had a goal in Bordesley behind the Brown Lion Inn. The goal, consisting of only two cellars, was known as ‘Brownell's Hole’ after W.D.Brownell, the goaler, whose wife Jemima kept the Inn.”

Turned out that a bloke from the Police Museum confirmed it (Brownell's Hole) was once under the White Lion Bordesley, and he had uncovered 'evidence' of it's existence after a recent dig there when the site was excavated for some reason....he promised it would be featured in the mail, but I never saw it...

hi dennis are you on about the dig of the old gaol high st bordesley in 1995 if so i have the findings here including some pics if you would like them let me know as ive got it on a PDF file

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.24.2013 | Top

#47 by winkle , Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 am

You betcha I do lyn. Email it to me soonest and I owe you a babycham or three...

winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

#48 by astoness , Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:21 am

Quote: winkle wrote in post #47
You betcha I do lyn. Email it to me soonest and I owe you a babycham or three...

these drinks are now mounting up dennis..bout time you showed yer face..[Little LOL]

PDF file sent....enjoy..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor