Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

New Announcement.

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:49 am | Top

RE: New Announcement.

#2 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 11, 2010 5:57 am

Congratulations everyone for making Brummies Talking a great place to visit. We have been going now for less than five months and we have a very good membership. Yes we could do with more people and we hopefully will get some. But our regulars are staying with us, and thank you to you all.
We are building up on our team of experts, who I am sure we can all learn from Denise wither her gardening knowledge, Signman has now started with his Photographic advice and Voltman is superb with his computer advice. they all know their stuff. Helpful advice also comes from other directions too.
We do need more members though, so if anyone can think of anyone who would benefit from joining us, or benefit our forum please let them know about us.
If I had known how much I would enjoy this Forum, or how much I would benefit from it, i would have called it The great escape.
Well done to everyone. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 11, 2010 8:22 am

Morning Graham and anyone else up and about.
Yes it's difficult trying to think of a way to get more members, my hands are tied being so far away.
I don't suppose the youngsters are interested in this sort of thing unfortunately, when I come up to Brum next month I'll have a little recruitment sortie to see what I can do, our present members seem to be enjoying the site
and it's the first thing I do when I get up, come here, after switching on the 'puter.
Like Graham says,enjoyment it's like having a natter in the pub.

signman

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am

Yes new members seem to be in short supply, I have asked a few people from other sites and invited them along for a look at what we are doing here. But that raises a couple of problems.

One being that the owners and administrators of other sites tend not to like having their members poached.

Another being that if the person approached is the member of another forum, they often cannot spare the time for an additional forum. Not everybody is as lucky (or unlucky) to have the spare time needed.

But as has been stated we do need to increase our membership a little. If we could double our regular contributors we would be doing great. So if you do know anyone you think is a sound reliable person, then by all means invite them along for a look.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 am

For my part I will concentrate on getting us into the search engines by working on the metatags (keywords) for http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ .
"Brummies" is the most obvious word but I am open to suggestions, in the "COMPUTER HELP." thread only please at COMPUTER HELP.

The words are placed in the header of the domain name page that diverts visitors to the real forum front page. This is where websites stand or fall when it comes to the search engines.
I have access to that page and can enter a list of the words that people searching for us (even if they don't know it yet) might enter into their favourite search engine when looking for all things Birmingham

All of us can view these words by accessing the forum using the domain name and then clicking on View in the browser toolbar and then selecting Source from the drop down list.
Look at the line
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="The words we choose will Go Here">

This only affects the rating of the Domain Name. The Forum, with it's real address at homepagemodules, will still appear in search engine listings according to the content of our pages.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.13.2010 | Top

#6 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 13, 2010 7:00 pm

I think that the words WHAT WE REALLY THINK ABOUT BIRMINGHAM which are the only ones there at the moment, could be a bit off-putting,
I think it gives a negative view, depending on how you look at things.

signman

#7 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Fine by me if a change is required sort it out amongst yourselves, have a vote, IT'S YOUR FORUM> SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#8 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Signman,
The meta tag keywords I described and which I can change to suit our mood, are not visible on the page and can only be viewed, in the manner I described, when accessing the site by means of the domain name HTTP.
The only things that will read them otherwise are search engine web crawlers known as Spiders.

They (meta tag keywords) are in no way connected with the tagline at the top of the page.
Those are words that Admin (and we all know who they are) put up when they first started this forum. This has no effect on whether the domain name will catch any extra visitors.
This phrase doesn't appear in the first 100 hits when plugged into Google so I doubt it has any effect on our ratings from that angle but I agree it does sound like we are about to launch into a tirade on everything thats wrong with Brum. we won't of course because that would take far too long.

Perhaps Admin might choose to change it sometime, given the right encouragement and sensible suggestions.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.13.2010 | Top

#9 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I suggest you read the previous post, O wise one.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 12:35 am

Sorry SB,
I rather suspect I was still typing while you were posting, but at least I hope I have clarified the difference between the invisible meta tags and the visible tagline.
VB

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 12.08.2014 | Top

#11 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 9:39 am

I have just noticed that Signman is right about "WHAT WE REALLY THINK ABOUT BIRMINGHAM" being in the keywords.
Sorry Signman.

If you right click over this page and choose "view source" you can see that they are the keyword used for the Xobor page.
As the search engines will ignore common words it could be that the only word associated with this Forum is Birmingham.
Not exactly a comprehensive list.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.15.2010 | Top

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 11:09 am

VM

So what would you suggest putting in its place, keep it simple because don't forget that SB and myself are not just computer illiterate but computer morons.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Speak for thyself O vintage one

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 2:46 pm

SB

So if VM comes on and hes talking all meta tag words, keywords, rams rems roms and cpu's you will know exactly what he is talking about then. Have you been taking a night school course the last couple of weeks then?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#15 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 15, 2010 3:18 pm

You kiddin I thought he was talking backwards again

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good morning to all...

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor