Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Computer Help.

#1 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Thought it might be a good idea to create a computer help thread.
Because I'm the first one to need it, suppose this is aimed at Voltman really.
I was working away nicely on my other computer when it just went off no sounds or warnings, suspect the PSU (POWER SUPPLY UNIT) it felt a bit warm, but no burning or smells from it, what do you think VM, I've now taken it out and will get one from Maplins tomorrow, unless you can suggest another possible cause.

signman
Last edited Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am | Top

RE: COMPUTER HELP.

#2 by Voltman , Mon May 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes Signman,
It could well be the PSU.
Even if the motherboard failed there would still be 12 volts to the disc drives, you would hear them running and the trays would open on the optical drives.
A working PSU is still active even when the PC powers down, the power push button switch on the front of a PC is simply a trigger for the PSU to run up to full activity.
If the motherboard power connector had come adrift then this may shut down the PSU, as some of them monitor a pair of wires in the plug, and unless they are shorted together by the motherboard then the PSU won't fire up at all. This is also why some PSUs won't power up away from a PC. Some also require a minimum load before they will operate.

If there was a short circuit on the output side of the PSU you would probably hear it pulsing on and off as it's protection circuitry would keep shutting it down.

I assume the socket outlet on the wall has proved to be working and you have checked the fuse in the plugtop and tried another mains lead, just in case.

I don't know how many variations are currently in use but you should take the PSU with you when getting a new one, just to be sure you get the correct MB connectors and enough drive connectors.

I hope this helps a little.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 10, 2010 7:45 pm

That's what I was going to say

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks VM yes all the power is there, so that's the only assumption I can come to I am taking it to Maplins tomorrow, will keep you posted thanks

signman

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 pm

John

What good will taking it to a Holiday Camp do? Hi de Hi

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Voltman , Mon May 10, 2010 8:26 pm

Ho De Ho.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.10.2010 | Top

#7 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 10, 2010 8:36 pm

I for one am well impressed with the service from our Technical department. ( even if I didn't understand a word of it).

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Phil, only just seen your comment. ha ha.
VM, here's a list of words I think could be a help in getting people on here, HISTORY,MEMORIES, PHOTOS,MAPS CHIT-CHAT.
I'm sure that between us we can deal with anything that these words may bring in.
Only my suggestion, other members may think otherwise.

signman

#9 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks Signman, I've added a couple of your suggestions to the meta tag, some I already had.

The list now reads.....
Brummies Talking, Birmingham, Games, Gardening, Computers, Signwriting, Photo's, Photography, Pubs, Gasometers, Town Hall, Council House, City, City Centre, Voltman, Sheldonboy, , Phil, Signman, Mikejee, Astoness, Denise, Erdogladys, Colin walker, Kelly's, History, Memories, Local, Chit Chat, Maps,

Signman, How did you get on with your PSU?
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.13.2010 | Top

#10 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 pm

I would like to take the opportunity to remind us all of the dangers of downloading free software.

It is not unknown for well known softwares to be tampered with by a 3rd party before being offered for download.
Ask yourself why a website would exist just to give things away.

The tampering can involve adding spyware and malware to the original program. The spyware will not announce itself and may pass unnoticed for some time.
Because the installation of the program is a deliberate action on the part of the user it will not be detected by the users security software (Anti Virus, etc) until is too late.
Simply clicking on any button in a pop up window can be enough to trick your browser into downloading a virus, no matter what the text in the window says.

The rule is simple. Find out who's software it is that you are trying to obtain and then go to their website and download it from there.
If you don't know enough about either the software or the website then don't download anything.

"Be careful out there."

VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#11 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Good advice thanks VM.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri May 14, 2010 5:46 am

VM ,Maplins hadn't got one, so I decided against buying one I'm buying a new computer designed solely for graphics and photography at Christmas, so I just took the hard drive out and put it into an external drive.

signman

#13 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 2:17 am

That's a reasonable course of action Signman.
Any standard PC more than just a few years old is barely worth repairing. Even upgrading can prove not to be cost effective,
I always worry that the motherboard may have been damaged by the faulty PSU when presented with a situation like your's.

Until recently I always built my own PC and so ended up with a monster tower. It had 2 optical drives and two removable hard drive bays at the front and 4 hard drives inside.
Due to a noisy short circuit to earth at one of the motherboard mounting screws (my fault but it took over 2 years to show itself) I lost the data on 2 of the internal hard drives, they were completly corrupted.
I bought a well known brand of PC to replace it.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Forum Promotion.

#14 by Voltman , Wed May 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummie and look at External links near the bottom of the page.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

RE: Forum Promotion.

#15 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 5:59 am

Third one down, pretty good VM.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Servants

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor