Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Garretts Green - Sheldon

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 am

Garretts Green
The old lady of Garretts Green is now all but gone. Garretts Green College has served Birmingham for nearly sixty years is now all but a pile of rubble.
From Hollifaste road now we have a view of a couple of miles instead of the 500 yards we are used to. The site as I understand it is to be used for around 90 homes.
across the Road ( Garretts green lane ) from the College, Elderfield a well used senior Citizens home is also in the process of demolition. Our area seems to be changing very quickly. For the better, we will see. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Garretts Green - Sheldon

#2 by Deleted User , Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Must have a drive past and have a look.

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:47 pm

I must say Denise the whole area looks different now.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Denise I don't know when you last went down Mickleton Avenue, but if you have a drive around Garretts Green drop down to Adminton Rd and see the difference. I'm not sure if your mom is still down there. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:40 pm

No she moved ages ago.I have seen the changes.

#6 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm

In the News in Garretts Green today, There appears to have been a fire at the Keri Gold Restaurant in Sheldon Heath Road ( formerly The Chestnut Tree Public House) . There is no news on the extent of the damage as yet.

Garretts Green College has now been demolished and has all but disapeared, and so has Elderfield senior citizens home on Garretts Green Lane. so the landcape around Garretts Green traffic island is changing. SB

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:29 pm

How many pubs end their life being burnt down? Now if I was a suspicious mind..........

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:50 pm

A week or so ago The Old Mermaid ( Junction of Warwick Road, Stratford Road ). Which had been turned into a restaurant. This had it's second fire in a few months. also the Ring O Bells in Yardley had only been closed a short time and this had a terriffic fire. It's now waiting to be demolished. Many pubs have had fires some strangely enough after being shut down.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:34 pm

SB

I bet you that if you looked in to it and investigated you would find far more redundant licenced premises are damaged by fire than any other sort of redundant building. It seems that nearly every pub that remains boarded up for more than a few weeks seems to suffer an arson attack.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Phil unforunately that seems to be the way with many buildings, not just pubs. I must repeat though this fire was in an ex pub now a operating restaurant, It wasn't boarded up. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 01.30.2010 | Top

#11 by colin walker , Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi
My mom lived in amington road in the late 1970s . I remember when young and living whittington oval i would always play around the Donkeys hollow area. I used visit milanders bakery aswell and get my bread and cakes free of charge i must add.
Also i remeber learning to drive on the industrial eastate in my brothers anglia.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

#12 by Deleted User , Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Do you mean amington road or Admington Rd?

#13 by colin walker , Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 pm

sorry denise yes i mean admington road. I must have lost it for a minute. I lived in elmay for a short while aswell. I wouldnt recognise it now though although my brother still lives by the radleys.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

#14 by Deleted User , Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 pm

My mum lived in Admington for a long time,,,,,,,,,,,

#15 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Colin Me and my mates used to play in Donkeys Hollow, It was right next to Bills Garage at the side of the Railway line. We used to ride our bikes down the edge of it, it was only about 8-10 feet high but it was like a cliff to us. SB

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Hockley, Spring Hill & Brookfields

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor