Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

T E L E V I S I O N

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 pm

What in the name of all that is considered to be Entertainment is wrong with my Goggle Box.

I am sick to the Gills, with Reality shows / Cookery programmes ( what about the Come Dine with Me Garbage / Repeats / Dancing / Singing / Skating /Jungles / Big Brothers ( a programme I just could not watch ).
Take away the much dreaded soaps. The Foul mouthed panel shows, The Likes of Johnathan Ross, The water games, such as Hole in wall and wipe out.
Thank God for my computer If I only had the Telly to look at I think I would have run away from home by now, ? SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: T E L E V I S I O N

#2 by PJ , Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:52 pm

SB,
Ditto......and if your not into sport, you may as well top yourself, or get a computer.
PJ

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 pm

I have never been a great TV watcher, but its been nearly 20 years since I as good as stopped watching it altogether. I can count the hours I watch TV on one hand now and I think we have got every channel its possible to have, except for the sports channels.

If it wasn't for the wife and her soaps I would throw the TV's out, perhaps I should throw the wife out and the TV's after her.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by PJ , Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Careful SB them ideas can catch on,
I agree in a lot of ways its a negative soul absorbing waste of time, there are and have been little jewels here and there but lately its sell, buy, cook, or watch celebs at the ends of their sell by dates doing what they can to stay in view. We are overdue a new age new approach new ideas to unlock another facet of our souls and let us move on.
PJ

PJ  
PJ

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:49 pm

I like history documentaries and such like. So if I do watch the box it will be the history channel. The trouble is even on there the fill the channel up with repeats of costume dramas like Sharpe and Hornblower.

I will agree that when first shown they held good entertainment value, but when you get to the forth or fifth viewing it gets a little monotonous.

Tonight at 9 o clock I am going to watch the prequel to fools and horses, I just hope its as good as it had been cracked up to be.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I like the 24 hour news,question time,that sort of thing.

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I watched the fools & horses prequel last night "Rock & Chips". I have to say I wasn't impressed I hope they don't try to make it in to a series.

There again nobody was too impressed with fools and horses when it first started.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Phil. I have to agree, I watched Rock and Chips last night. I was a bit bored with it too. I think it went on a bit too long,
As a stand alone program it would have been pretty weak. They traded on Fools and Horses a bit too much. Not impressed. SB

If all else fails Read the instructions

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:21 pm

SB

Exactly, the only reason I changed my usual habits and watched it was because of Only Fools & Horses reputation. I'm afraid that it didn't live up to anywhere near that.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by PJ , Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Telly is so bad I might have a go at writing a play, or a book cant do opera's there's an idea here, in the forum with all the different characters and tensions between the lines.

Last week I turned on to radio 4, it must have been twelve midnight and I caught the end of a programme about a forum where one of the members was a writer and had created another member,a young woman, to develop his writing skills, she had a complete life and had transmitted all the ups and downs and nuances of her daily life and her love for her husband and her two children, to the other members, who held her as one of the better things in the forum, she even had a sweet way of misspelling that was funny and pleasing. The Trauma came when she told them that she was dying, and all members went hand in hand with her through each hospital visit, the trouble with the kids, and her husbands denial then anger then the horror of her death shared by all members
Then the foolish man let it be known that she was his creation, a figment of his imagination the response from members put him in a depression and is still begging their forgiveness today and is overwhelmed by the depth of their love and caring for the young wife.
I'm a wally, this is from a radio show.
PS I might not have all the true facts but the gist of it is true from a true story.
PJ

PJ  
PJ

#11 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 pm

It sounds a good play,was it the book at bedtime or a play with different characters.

I am on a lot of forums and I read a lot of stuff that can only be rubbish.

One lady is supposed to have moved to canada.She belongs to some religion where they dress up old style.She posts she is in pain and her husband has all sorts of health probs,next she is getting a new allotment.The inconsistancies go on.She leaves and comes back to the forum on a regular basis,sHE LOVES THE BIG WELCOME BACKS SHE GETS,MYSELF AND A FEW OTHERS CAN SEE IT BUT SEVERAL CAN'T SOz caps lock.

It keeps her happy so let her get on with it.

I wish I had the imagination to be exciting LOL

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 pm

PJ

If you decide to write a book don't do your life story. I started mine about five years back. I completed the first hundred odd pages with no problem, I wasn't until I got to my teens that the problem began.

I began to think "do I really want my wife and family to know I did these things". There is nothing that I am ashamed of but in the 6 years prior to meeting my wife and getting married I led a pretty wild life.

Though I think it would make a very good book, I have stored what I have written away until I am older and perhaps I will finish it then. But I have decided that no one will see it until I die. My children can read it then and decide what to do with it, but knowing me the way I am now they will think it fantasy and probably throw it away.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by PJ , Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:10 pm

Denise,
I cant be sure if it was book at bed time but I don't think so it may even have been on the World Service. It was factual, unless I've made a complete b***s up of it, fingers crossed I haven't
The main thrust of it was how devastated the other members were to have given their hearts to this young Mom to find out that she never existed, I now know why some people get lynched.
PJ

PJ  
PJ

#14 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:34 pm

Phil,
If I wrote my life story, there wouldn't be enough x's in the world to censor it.
In the words of Tony Hancock "As soon as I've read this book I'm going to recomend that they ban it"

signman

#15 by PJ , Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Phil,
Me write a book I was joking, no that's wrong Mucka, its a half truth, I have had the odd fleeting thought to write something, just to see if I could. All this has come about since posting on the Forums, never put pen to paper before and find I'm getting a buzz out of it at the minute.
I don't wont to write my life story, it would be too boring though there are dark painful episodes, too dark for this new pen.
Will give it a go see what comes out of the wash, don't really like the idea of having to make a story up out of my head, us Brummies like to tell it as it is, and no frills. It may just be an aging mans pie in the sky, who finds he has time on his hands.
PJ

PJ  
PJ

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Odds and Sods

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor