Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Campaign to Bring Back King Kong

#16 by Voltman , Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 am

Phil,
I don't remember Manzoni gardens in the sixties, I don't think my parents would have taken me through that way because of all the tramps sleeping on the benches.
[Laugh Out Loud]

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 am

Volty

Nobody ever slept on the Benches too many screaming kids passing by. My place of choice was marked with an X on this photo, in fact that could even be me on the photo with the young lady.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:56 am | Top

#18 by Voltman , Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm

There was clearly plenty of it about Phil.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#19 by Voltman , Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 pm

I've just spotted the gardener, all alone with his edging shears. There would have to be a gang of them if they do that today.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#20 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Posted by Voltman
Phil,
I don't remember Manzoni gardens in the sixties, I don't think my parents would have taken me through that way because of all the tramps sleeping on the benches.
[Laugh Out Loud]

Volty
if you don't remember Manzoni gardens or ever went that way, how do you know that Tramps slept on the benches?

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#21 by mollymandysb , Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm

i remember the gardens very well in the sixties and king gong. diverting a bit (my age it is) what was the name of the night club just up from the gardens on the end of smallbrook queensway, something suite. do you all remember the rainbow suite. what was the club called opposite the side of the midland hotel, where the toilets are, you went down underground to it. oh happy days.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Steph

The one on the Ringway could be The Mayfair or Cavendish Suite or something like that I think it changed to a furniture store, I remember one something like that. It may even have been La Dolce Vita?

The only thing I can remember opposite the Midland Hotel was New St Station or the bus station. I can't think of a night club around there, not in my time anyway.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#23 by Voltman , Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:52 am

Posted by Sheldonboy

Posted by Voltman
Phil,
[Laugh Out Loud]

Volty
if you don't remember Manzoni gardens or ever went that way, how do you know that Tramps slept on the benches?

You had already admitted to it Phil.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#24 by Voltman , Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am

Posted by phil
Steph

The one on the Ringway could be The Mayfair or Cavendish Suite or something like that I think it changed to a furniture store, I remember one something like that. It may even have been La Dolce Vita?

The only thing I can remember opposite the Midland Hotel was New St Station or the bus station. I can't think of a night club around there, not in my time anyway.

Phil

What about the pub inthe corner? Did that have a basement room?

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 am

Volty

The pub on the corner you refer to would be the Crown or as it was known to the local "Cutlers". It was my local when I used to hang round the town. The dance room- club room was upstairs and I think the only thing in the cellar was the beer. I spent most of my youth from 63-68 except for the summers up the town every night and most days if I was not working and in that time I cannot remember a club in the Midland Hotel. I know they had a bar not that I ever frequented it. So if there was a club it would have been later than June 68 that it opened.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#26 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Posted by phil
Volty

The pub on the corner you refer to would be the Crown or as it was known to the local "Cutlers". It was my local when I used to hang round the town. The dance room- club room was upstairs and I think the only thing in the cellar was the beer. I spent most of my youth from 63-68 except for the summers up the town every night and most days if I was not working and in that time I cannot remember a club in the Midland Hotel. I know they had a bar not that I ever frequented it. So if there was a club it would have been later than June 68 that it opened.

Phil

Phil I have to agree there was no club I am sure in the Midland Hotel, they did have a tatty little bar at the back in Station Street, looked a bit like a railway Carriage. Also a bar upstairs near the restaurant.
The Cavendish Club wasn't in town it was in The Swan Centre at Yardley. It was the sister club to La Dolce Vita on Smallbrook Queensway. Owned by Baileys an organisation from up North.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#27 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:47 pm

SB

Then it must have been the Mayfair Suite then, if I remember correctly one entrance was just where the photographer who took this photo must have been standing as the club was just where the bridge across the Ringway started from New the Pallasades to the Bull Ring Centre. I know when they closed it down they changed it to a furniture store.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#28 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Posted by phil
SB

Then it must have been the Mayfair Suite then, if I remember correctly one entrance was just where the photographer who took this photo must have been standing as the club was just where the bridge across the Ringway started from New the Pallasades to the Bull Ring Centre. I know when they closed it down they changed it to a furniture store.

Phil

As I remember it Phil The Mayfair Suite was just about where TK MAXX is now. Below it was Williams furniture shop. I think it was Dave Prowse the Green Cross code man(Later Darth Vader in Star Wars movies). stood outside Williams advertising it on the telly.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#29 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 pm

SB

You are talking to the ignorant, I havent a clue what or where TK MAXX is.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#30 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 pm

TK MAXX is a big Two Story general shop on the left hand side when you drive into the New Street Station entrance. opposite the Bull Ring where the mayfair suite was.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Cannon Hill Park

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor